Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Racing 92 vs Munster, Sun 14th January, 3:15pm Sky Sports Action

Options
  • 12-01-2018 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

U-Arena-toit-ferme-pelouse-synthetique-et-rugby.jpg

Racing 92:
    15. Louis Dupichot; 14. Teddy Thomas, 13. Virimi Vakatawa, 12. Henry Chavancy, 11. Marc Andreu; 10. Rémi Tales, 9. Maxime Machenaud;
    1. Eddy Ben Arous, 2. Camille Chat, 3. Ben Tameifuna, 4. Donnacha Ryan, 5. Edwin Maka, 6. Yannick Nyanga, 7. Wenceslas Lauret, 8. Leone Nakarawa

16. Dimitri Szarzewski, 17. Vasil Kakovin, 18. Cedate Gomes Sa, 19. Baptiste Chouzenoux, 20. Boris Palu, 21. Xavier Chauveau, 22. Benjamin Dambielle, 23. Joe Rokocoko

Munster:
    Simon Zebo; Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell, Rory Scannell, Keith Earls; Ian Keatley, Conor Murray;
    Dave Kilcoyne, Rhys Marshall, Stephen Archer; Jean Kleyn, Billy Holland; Peter O’Mahony (c), Chris Cloete, CJ Stander

Replacements: Kevin O’Byrne, James Cronin, John Ryan, Darren O’Shea, Jack O’Donoghue, Duncan Williams, JJ Hanrahan, Alex Wootton.

Pool 4
    Munster 15
    Racing 11
    Castres 7
    Leicester 6

Racing 92 host Munster in the new U Arena. This represents an opportunity for Munster to seal a home QF with the expectation that a weak Castres lineup will visit Thomond Park in Round 6. Meanwhile this is a must win contest for Racing 92 to remain in the competition.

Who will win? 21 votes

Racing 92
    0%
    Munster
    33%
    heebusjeebusclevtrevmaddnesssydthebeatvienne86kuang1Bridge93 7 votes
    Tiernan O'Halloran
    66%
    rorymagorytwinytwoBassfishthomond2006Boscoirlaloooofcivilnugnerd69Eod100davo2001Jump_In_JackprawnsamboOwta Controlc.p.w.g.w 14 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

That screen is insane.

Racing are closer to getting ahead of Munster in the pool than I realised actually.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

wtf is that screen? Is there no seating/terraces at the end of the pitch??

dregin wrote: »
    wtf is that screen? Is there no seating/terraces at the end of the pitch??

Yeah WTF is that, and why did they call it the U Arena??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Yeah WTF is that, and why did they call it the U Arena??

Why did they call that U-shaped stadium the U Arena?

No idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Munster
    What has happened to Darren Sweetnam?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Tiernan O'Halloran
    Bridge93 wrote: »
    What has happened to Darren Sweetnam?

Depth in the back three.

Why did they call that U-shaped stadium the U Arena?

No idea.

hqdefault.jpg

Tiernan O'Halloran
    15. Louis Dupichot; 14. Teddy Thomas, 13. Virimi Vakatawa, 12. Henry Chavancy, 11. Marc Andreu; 10. Rémi Tales, 9. Maxime Machenaud;
    1. Eddy Ben Arous, 2. Camille Chat, 3. Ben Tameifuna, 4. Donnacha Ryan, 5. Edwin Maka, 6. Yannick Nyanga, 7. Wenceslas Lauret, 8. Leone Nakarawa

16. Dimitri Szarzewski, 17. Vasil Kakovin, 18. Cedate Gomes Sa, 19. Baptiste Chouzenoux, 20. Boris Palu, 21. Xavier Chauveau, 22. Benjamin Dambielle, 23. Joe Rokocoko

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Munster
    Good to see Racing taking the foot off the peddle...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Tiernan O'Halloran
    Bridge93 wrote: »
    Good to see Racing taking the foot off the peddle...

pedal

• Advertisement

Jesus that's two really quality teams. This is going to be a huge test. Munster loss is best for Leinster but f**k that, Munster all the way here - set the national team up nicely for going over there in a few weeks while ye are at it lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

It probably won't matter in the end, but Leicester have named a second-string team to go to Castres on Sunday, so Castres may theoretically have something to play for when they come to Thomond if they can rack up a score this weekend.

More interesting perhaps is that Ben Betts may make his European debut for Tigers off the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Munster
    More interesting perhaps is that Ben Betts may make his European debut for Tigers off the bench.

Who's gonna be first to do it...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Podge_irl wrote: »
    That screen is insane.

Racing are closer to getting ahead of Munster in the pool than I realised actually.
    For rugby matches at least, no video including replays will be shown on the big screen during games. Players and coaches have said it would be too distracting. It's main purpose it seems was for concerts.

gHp2Zi.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

kuang1 wrote: »
    Who's gonna be first to do it...

:D

Tiernan O'Halloran
    Donnacha Ryan signed for Racing?!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

For rugby matches at least, no video including replays will be shown on the big screen during games. Players and coaches have said it would be too distracting. It's main purpose it seems was for concerts.

Interesting. I wonder what the income differential is from a giant screen for concerts vs an extra tier of seating for rugby games. Even weirder if it is not used at all for rugby games I have to say - I understand the player's logic but I imagine it was built before their viewpoint was expressed and that wasn't the original intention.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,599 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Interesting. I wonder what the income differential is from a giant screen for concerts vs an extra tier of seating for rugby games. Even weirder if it is not used at all for rugby games I have to say - I understand the player's logic but I imagine it was built before their viewpoint was expressed and that wasn't the original intention.

I think that was pretty close to their optimum use of space anyway, there wasn't room for a full tier of seating on the screen side anyway.

The coolest thing about that stadium is beneath the rugby pitch there is another tier of seating, and then tennis courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

errlloyd wrote: »
    The coolest thing about that stadium is beneath the rugby pitch there is another tier of seating, and then tennis courts.

I have never heard of such a thing. On face value seems like an excellent venue. Do Racing own it or is it municipal?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I have never heard of such a thing. On face value seems like an excellent venue. Do Racing own it or is it municipal?

Have a google for Lille's Stade Pierre-Mauroy (where Ireland played Italy at Euro2016). Half they pitch raises and is stored over the other half revealing seating and an indoor court.

AFAIK the U Arena is privately funded.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

ZnOFjI.jpg
    errlloyd wrote: »

Credit: parcdesprinces on skyscrapercity.com

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ban this sick filth

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

Any time I look at an enclosed stadium, all I can think is the roof is no way high enough for a decent up and under kick. This one appears particularly low, but im sure its fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,713 ✭✭✭✭phog

budhabob wrote: »
    Any time I look at an enclosed stadium, all I can think is the roof is no way high enough for a decent up and under kick. This one appears particularly low, but im sure its fine.

Iirc, a garryowen hit something overhead in the Richo Stadium in one of the games Munster played there

phog wrote: »
    Iirc, a garryowen hit something overhead in the Richo Stadium in one of the games Munster played there

I remember a few box kicks hitting those hovering camera cables in Twickers too. Play on believe it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

It probably won't matter in the end, but Leicester have named a second-string team to go to Castres on Sunday, so Castres may theoretically have something to play for when they come to Thomond if they can rack up a score this weekend.

Castres I think have won one away game in the HEC/CC in the last 10 years, I'd be really surprised if they're up to much in the last pool game, regardless of round 5.

I'm really hoping Tigers go all-out for the round 6 clash though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,030 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

So is this an enclosed stadium? As luck would have it, I'm going to Paris tonight and thought about attending the match, an enclosed stadium would make the temperature more bearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,008 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Tiernan O'Halloran
    smurfjed wrote: »
    So is this an enclosed stadium? As luck would have it, I'm going to Paris tonight and thought about attending the match, an enclosed stadium would make the temperature more bearable.
    Yeah, it's got a lid on it. Originally was to be retractable, but is now fixed. 4G pitch which is probably necessary as the lid would have issues for grass growth.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,981 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Munster
    ZnOFjI.jpg

Credit: parcdesprinces on skyscrapercity.com

Is that actually under the rugby pitch in Parc des princes???

Advertisement