Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New RTE Weather graphics.

• 11-01-2018 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭squarecircles

In a word, atrocious.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,095 ✭✭✭pad199207

Looks like they got the cloud and rain symbols from the 90’s

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Maybe it was just my tv but I could barely read the temperature icons. The colour scheme didn’t really work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Maybe it was just my tv but I could barely read the temperature icons. The colour scheme didn’t really work.

Yep the lack of contrast left me squinting,weather symbols are now flat as opposed to 3 dimensional,circa 1987.

I was also wondering why there were small yellow eggs on the map,that must be the sun symbol.

I watched the European forecast earlier and it looked like a dog's dinner,couldn't make out the temperatures and really faint little weather icons.Its a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

The 80's called, and they want there graphics back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Very poor
    It's like back to the future only worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Comhrá

They must be some sort of trial or experiment. They're surely not leaving them like that, are they? :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

not very impressed

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

they look a bit unfinished alright. Nothing will ever beat the classic BBC Forecast symbols used in the 80s and 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Just seen it now and thought I was gone back to the old days, they look absolutely terrible who in God's name approved them, there like something a child would do, certainly not what you would expect from our weather service

• Registered Users Posts: 7,095 ✭✭✭pad199207

Comhra wrote: »
    They must be some sort of trial or experiment. They're surely not leaving them like that, are they? :eek::eek::eek:

Unfortunately not a trial, they are the new graphics. They are RTE graphics though not Met Eireanns.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

well i haven't watched the rte news or weather in over ten years now so I went on the rte player to see what the graphics were like. Look fine to me tbh, not that different to how I remember them, certainly not awful anyway. Only issue is I have is that it's hard to see the numbers clearly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭ Kohen Hallowed Treasurer

Is this them (below)? They're just below average, but not the worst in the world.
    The final screen has several issues, font size and lack of any contrast = squinty eyes.
    The '7' looks like '?' suggesting 'who knows'.

rtewea.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

The 80's called, and they want there graphics back

Graphics from the 80's??

I remember 80's weather forecasts like this :D

https://youtu.be/JvX-jOlIFds?t=1m30s

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Calibos wrote: »
    Graphics from the 80's??

I remember 80's weather forecasts like this :D

https://youtu.be/JvX-jOlIFds?t=1m30s

Yeah, much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I always had a soft spot for these ones from RTE. Although this one, maybe perhaps, is dubbed over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z23rc1Dk15A (Some bad language)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Some nice graphics from 1989 here

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I always had a soft spot for these ones from RTE. Although this one, maybe perhaps, is dubbed over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z23rc1Dk15A (Some bad language)

this is exactly how forecasts should be, language and all

Is this them (below)? They're just below average, but not the worst in the world.
    The final screen has several issues, font size and lack of any contrast = squinty eyes.
    The '7' looks like '?' suggesting 'who knows'.

rtewea.png

Note the colour of the cloud on the east coast is almost the same colour as the sea,looks like something took a bite out of Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭mojor

That 5 day forecast is a ****ing disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Colour contrast is terrible.

No advance here. Hoping for better from M.E's new website whenever that will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Here's the previous ones just for comparison sakes.

9OtsVvd.png

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Here's the previous ones just for comparison sakes.

9OtsVvd.png

Bright,colourful, high contrasting ,modern realistic weather symbols.

Somebody should inform RTE pronto.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Haven't seen them, but I think anything would be an improvement over the overly bright graphics they have used up to now. Never liked the too light greens they used for map colours, and the too light blue for sea colour, which is just a bit too 'Mediterranean' and sunny looking for me.

Much prefer the colour scheme that Met Éireann themselves use for weather charts:

Untitled_picture.png

Less glaring on the eyes with more traditional and darker look, which is better suited to our climate.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Absolutely atrocious, it is most definitely a retrograde step. I first saw these last night, thought there was a reception problem or some issue with the saorview box.

The only comparsion I can come up with is a computer desktop running Windows XP in safe mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Just to compound matters - someone obviously decided to "update" the weather section on the RTE website to the "metro" type of crap user interface becoming so unfortunately popular amongst websites thinking they need to update known-working sites.
    The large expanses of brightest white, with grey on grey graphics, little to distinguish between the icons for showers from the icons for rain, unless that icon is highlighted and there's a slow animation that needs to be watched for more than a few seconds to see which one it is.

The RTE site could definitely be worse, and I have seen worse, but it could be oh so much better, with only a little more effort. We can be thankful though that there is no lots of baby blue on it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Awful stuff, half expecting the forecaster to stick on some symbols.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭ Kohen Hallowed Treasurer

The website, although less important than the telly weather needs a colour injection also (as below).

Whoever is responsible for the new stuff must have missed the entire 1st yr class on colour theory in art school.
    Most of the aul wans in the country don't have 4k 55' tellyboxes so those screen supers and various labels will be lost

Screen_Shot_2018-01-12_at_19.20.51.png

Just watched the weather after the 6.1 news.

Couldn't see anything on the chart ,just a blur of faint colours and symbols.

May aswell just look down at your shoes and listen to it verbally.

It's actually hilariously bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

These first two seem fine to me, at least on the Player.

438494.PNG

438494.PNG

However, this one's bad. I never understood the difference between rain, hail, sleet and snow icons on Met Éireann's forecasts, on both TV and their website.

438496.PNG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Timistry

Saw them for the first time tonight, appalling......

Advertisement