Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Influencers over-editing photos in Social Media/Cyber-bullying accusations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

The whole influencer thing reminds me of Mean Girls.

"I saw Cady Heron wearing army pants and flip flops so I bought army pants and flip flops".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

I suppose the way I would see it is, it's a completely unregulated "industry", if you can call it an industry. All you need is, by hook or by crook, a certain amount of Insta/Twitter/FB followers and maybe a bit of a connection in some (almost as unregulated) online media outlet and, hey presto, you are an Influencer!

It's certainly not exclusive to make-up, beauty and cosmetics etc... it's a problem in the fitness industry as well and any kind of fashion - men's, women's, whoever - and I'm sure plenty of others too.

Ireland is a very small place and a coterie of people with a smattering of followers can wield - and guard - a big influence.

EDIT: I also just wanted to mention, as an example of how unregulated the whole thing is, that most influencers as far as I can see (possibly not the very large ones) are far from tax compliant - and that may be what eventually sees the whole influencer community brought into line at some stage.
    I recall a twitter thread from a journalist who was looking into some tax details for some reason and noticed that all people receiving any kind of free gifts or services in a working environment were liable to be taxed on the full value of said gifts/services - they are effectively seen as a payment. The Journalist asked the question, 'what does this mean for the influencer community?'

One Influencer type chimed in and said something to the effect of "Oh yes, LOL, we give all of ours away for free as gifts, prizes etc, LOL" - only for the journalist to point out that that was actually immaterial - they were still liable from a taxation point of view.... needless to say, no further comment from Influencer #boss type...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    I suppose the way I would see it is, it's a completely unregulated "industry", if you can call it an industry. All you need is, by hook or by crook, a certain amount of Insta/Twitter/FB followers and maybe a bit of a connection in some (almost as unregulated) online media outlet and, hey presto, you are an Influencer!

It's certainly not exclusive to make-up, beauty and cosmetics etc... it's a problem in the fitness industry as well and any kind of fashion - men's, women's, whoever - and I'm sure plenty of others too.

Ireland is a very small place and a coterie of people with a smattering of followers can wield - and guard - a big influence.
    That's it exactly. I actually gave many of them the benefit of the doubt. They'd start small as a part time interest and then suddenly, it's not a hobby but an industry or an actual paying job.

When you start getting paid for work, it then becomes an industry and they generally fall under the ASAI (advertising standards authority). Sadly the ASAI is playing catch up with these influencers especially when you look at the regulations in the UK and US. Here they issue a statement that such and such said sorry and that's the end of it. There's no real incentive for bloggers to keep the ASAI rules. Even the companies sponsoring don't seem to care.

The other big thing which might still yet erupt is the followers. It looks like many bloggers are buying followers judging by Social Blade stats. You'll see the number of followers going up and down and suddenly you could see +500, +1000 or even +3000 in a single day. It really makes you wonder. Most PR companies tend to work with the bigger bloggers who have a huge following instead of working with bloggers who actually like your product and will sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

wyrn wrote: »
    That's it exactly. I actually gave many of them the benefit of the doubt. They'd start small as a part time interest and then suddenly, it's not a hobby but an industry or an actual paying job.

When you start getting paid for work, it then becomes an industry and they generally fall under the ASAI (advertising standards authority). Sadly the ASAI is playing catch up with these influencers especially when you look at the regulations in the UK and US. Here they issue a statement that such and such said sorry and that's the end of it. There's no real incentive for bloggers to keep the ASAI rules. Even the companies sponsoring don't seem to care.

The other big thing which might still yet erupt is the followers. It looks like many bloggers are buying followers judging by Social Blade stats. You'll see the number of followers going up and down and suddenly you could see +500, +1000 or even +3000 in a single day. It really makes you wonder. Most PR companies tend to work with the bigger bloggers who have a huge following instead of working with bloggers who actually like your product and will sell it.

That's interesting, can I ask what guidelines or rules are in place for the UK and USA in this regard?

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    That's interesting, can I ask what guidelines or rules are in place for the UK and USA in this regard?
    Ermm, I can't remember off the top of my head but the big thing was to have a disclaimer on social media if you were being paid. Our bloggers were very absentminded about putting up #ad #sp (advertisement, sponsored etc...) on their paid posts. Then there was the sneaky I'll just add #ad or #sp on the very first or last video (say on snapchat). Then the ASAI had to clarify that the #ad or #sp needs to be visible for the entire video. There has also been the magically colour coded #ad #sp on videos, where they blend into the background and can barely be seen. Many bloggers tried to make out that they weren't being sponsored and that it wasn't a marketed advertisement.

Here's what the ASAI had to say about it recently http://www.asai.ie/press-releases/advertising-standards-authority-for-ireland-calls-on-bloggers-and-influencers-to-fully-declare-marketing-communications/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 clarkej5

All, it is plain to see the regular freebies influencers get. One blogger is always getting her fresh nails and showing pics/dropping names of the salons, then one time PAID for it and she ranted and raved about €70 being SOOOO expensive for nails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Well after all her fighting talk about tackling bullying it looks like Suzanne started the trend with an article in 2011, referring to people as trannys and having awful faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Well after all her fighting talk about tackling bullying it looks like Suzanne started the trend with an article in 2011, referring to people as trannys and having awful faces.

And after being called out on it is now claiming people are trying to ruin her. How about you take some responsibility for the shlte you write instead of pressing the deflect button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Always the victim. Victim when people did it to her. Victim when she did it to others. Nobody called her a tranny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Hand on heart ive never been on social media facebook snapchat etc nor have i ever read/ seen a blog so its never had any effect on me but my daughter used to follow/read a number of them.
    But ive noticed that with age the realisation that most of them arent worth her time means that shes dropped/unfollowed most.
    I personally cant see the attraction of reading strangers ramblings and i do get the irony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 themakeupfurey

ace_irl wrote: »
    I think Rosie came across the best, she actually seamed to take a bit of ownership and I had respect for her for saying she is going to try to do less editing etc. In saying that, I don't think she was ever bad with over editing in the first place.

I think Sue was embarrassed a bit by her rant, and I think MUF is hiding, she was very clever to not actually address the editing thing at all, totally by passed it.

I would have to disagree on this Rosie and a lot of other bloggers show off a different image of themselves, I had an encounter with rosie before and she was very rude and indirect bullying happened by herself so she is quite the hypocrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I would have to disagree on this Rosie and a lot of other bloggers show off a different image of themselves, I had an encounter with rosie before and she was very rude and indirect bullying happened by herself so she is quite the hypocrite.

How did she bully you?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Interview with lady behind the account, https://www.rsvplive.ie/news/celebs/woman-behind-controversial-instagram-account-11837113

She speaks such sense great it’s opened the discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭blairbear

There's a part of me that feels very sorry for Joanne; not because she was called out for her nonsense, but because I have suffered from an eating disorder, in varying degrees of severity, for 20 years, and recognise a lot of my own practices and tendencies in her. Very unhealthy practices.

I would regularly contact friends on fb when I was in college to delete certain photos. I even asked a nightclub to take a photo down that they took of my friends and I. I loved my own pictures of myself; I never edited them in any way but I could pose nicely and choose my favourites. I still am completely obsessive over photos of me. I missed out on holidays recently cos I was scared to renew my passport photo in case I didn't look pretty enough. The security photo for my swipe in work made me sick with anxiety beforehand. And yet, I still don't think I am anywhere near as hard on myself as Joanne is, and I have never altered anything. (That would make me feel worse tbh, looking at a "better version" of the real me.)

I do all of these things on a background of having a highly restrictive eating disorder since I was 13. I have insight that it is very unhealthy. Joanne has a disordered relationship with her body and food too, to say the very least. Nobody who is "body positive" acts like I do, or like Joanne does.

The problem for Joanne and other susceptible women is that we have 24/7 access to a camera. 10 or 15 years ago, we took photos at events or a night out, when we looked our best. They were less high res and didn't show up every tiny blemish. I genuinely think people need to just STOP TAKING SO MANY PHOTOS of themselves. Myself included. It is a recipe for utter misery.

Her worst crime in my book was the implication that Paul emotionally abused her. She has spoken previously about another long term boyfriend who treated her badly. The post was written just obtusely enough not to pin anything on Paul for definite. She can't seem to help herself when it comes to lashing out like this. She is just making one poor decision after another.

Her social media image is purely a fantastical construct. If she let it go, she might actually find herself to be far more fulfilled.

You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time. Joanne learned that the hard way last weekend(if she has learned anything at all...)

blairbear wrote: »

You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time. Joanne learned that the hard way last weekend(if she has learned anything at all...)

Excellent post!!

But I'm just wondering - has she learnt anything?
    Is she not still in denial?

CRIPES. You all need to read Paul's latest post before he deletes it!

Where??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Any chance of a screenshot?

Also excellent previous post.

GingerLily wrote: »
    Where??
    Instagram with a pic "False allegations of abuse are abuse"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Paul who?

• Advertisement

La_Gordy wrote: »
    Any chance of a screenshot?

Also excellent previous post.

It's very, very long. Would be 5 or 6 screenshots. Bodybycontrol on instagram.

And thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

And thank you!

Fairplay to him for standing up for himself, but no doubt he'll face a massive backlash. Probably get called a pig, monster etc

rawn wrote: »
    Paul who?
    Paul (bodybycontrol on Instagram) was MUF ex boyfriend. They broke up days after moving in with each other rather suddenly. MUF made many veiled hints at who was to blame. Paul never said a word although he did screenshot some of the very nasty messages he was getting. He's just sort of broken his silence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

And thank you!

He was unhappy for months!! Why did they move in together.

Wow. She has treated him appalling and she's been acting the victim all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

He was unhappy for months!! Why did they move in together.

Wow. She has treated him appalling and she's been acting the victim all along.

I by no means am a fan of Paul’s, in fact I think he thrived off the attention he got from her followers, but he did need to come out and say something. Words like abuse have a terrible stigma attached to them. I’m so glad to see the influencer bubble has finally burst.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Thanks for the clarification!

He came across very well in that post, fair play to him!

Wellyd wrote: »
    I by no means am a fan of Paul’s, in fact I think he thrived off the attention he got from her followers, but he did need to come out and say something. Words like abuse have a terrible stigma attached to them. I’m so glad to see the influencer bubble has finally burst.
    I thought that too but after the breakup my views on him changed 180. I initially followed him to snoop a little but I actually kept him there because I enjoy his videos. He's actually quite funny and not as annoying. I thought he was a complete user but actually he seems very different now. I honestly never thought I'd like him. He went from smug and smary to dignified and funny. Go figure!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Fairplay to him for standing up for himself, but no doubt he'll face a massive backlash. Probably get called a pig, monster etc

Why would there be a backlash against him??

ratmouse wrote: »
    Why would there be a backlash against him??
    She has a huge following. She made cryptic posts about her "traumatising" break up. She led us to believe that he acted completely inappropriately with her and that she had to flee London. They broke up on a weekend and she was back in Dublin by the Tuesday I think.

It seems some of her fans took this to mean that he was awful to her and she had no choice but to leave. They sent him awful messages. He's been nothing but dignified and even refuted the main rumours that were swirling around.

MUF seems to have fans that will believe in her no matter what. We here on boards did tend to give her the benefit of the doubt during the breakup. Now however, it seems that we might have been too quick.

• Advertisement

He ends his post with:
    "I cannot speak to the motives of the other person but I believe this behaviour was an attempt to bully and intimidate me as punishment for the relationship not working out.
I would love nothing more than to draw a line in the sand and have nothing more to do with any of this from this point onwards.
Thanks
Paul x"

Advertisement