Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

• 05-01-2018 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Mod Note:

Welcome to the Limerick GAA Discussion thread Part 2 continued from here after reaching the 10,000 post limit

This is quite an active thread and as a result, discussion can get quite heated. But there are certain things posters must realise are simply not OK to post:

- Personal abuse of anyone be they other posters, players, managers, referees, pundits etc. Any personal abuse will result in an infraction or a ban.

- Rumours about players'/managers'/anyone's personal lives. This should be self explanatory. Apart from being a dickish thing to do, it can lead to legal trouble for Boards.

- Trolling. Again, self explanatory. Trolls will be banned for a long time.

- Accusations of trolling. Report a post if you suspect it to be trolling. Do not call a troll out on thread as this will be considered back seat modding.

- Speculation into the identity of another poster. This is a site-bannable offence.

This list is not exhaustive. Either myself or another mod may add to this as we see fit. Just because a certain behaviour isn't listed, doesn't mean you can't be banned for it.
    The general Boards.ie rule of Don't be a Dick always applies.

If you feel a post breaks the rules, simply click this underneath the post in question to report the post and a mod will deal with it as they see fit.

So be civil to each other and happy posting.

THREADBAN LIST

PeggyShippen upto 20/4/2023

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Just for some continuity from the old thread I've multi quoted the most recent posts :
    Greensoup wrote: »
    Was at Kilkenny match last year.....we were wiped out in mid field that night...fennelly got man of match, Deegan hit 3 from play and Lester Ryan who came on for him hit 2 more. Buckley centre back cleaned up as well...gathered amount of ball standing all on his own. Our backs held their forwards pretty well...problems were all around that middle third so that spine needs serious thought.
    Richie Mac kept Fennelly quiet as a mouse the last time we saw him yet he's past it?? Go way outta that you troll with your 30 posts in 7 years.
    Definitely Ryan for Browne or at left half back if needed
    Dowling was outfield working hard and having the first touch of an elephant waste of time

Browne was poor

Pat Ryan was ok

Jimbob came on was great and hit 3 wides with the game in the balance
    Dowling knows he’s getting his place day in day out on that team a lot of people saying he’s only there for the frees, well now he has competition from Gillane I hope they give him a chance and leave Dowling on the bench. That Kilkenny team were there for the taking that day we were brain dead good 90% of puck outs went down on Buckley no wonder he cleaned up. Our pick outs are a disgrace the days of belting it as hard as you can up the field are gone look at Nash fro cork how his pick outs are lead to scores
    pajoguy wrote: »
    Our backs also cleared huge ball that night but in a typical limerick fashion. Hail marys into small forwards. The second half was frustrating as we could have won wit a bit more awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Hockied

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Just for some continuity from the old thread I've multi quoted the most recent posts :

....Richie Mac kept Fennelly quiet as a mouse the last time we saw him yet he's past it?? Go way outta that you troll with your 30 posts in 7 years........

😂maybe i am a troll too? I have less posts than that.. But it seems to me that the half back line and corners are working hard to make up for Richie mc and his lack of fitness or his loss of form for past two years. I don't see the point in mentioning one good game he had or a few decent clearances if he is weakening the backs the rest of the time. One good game is not enough and forwards not half as good as fennelly beating him in other games. Having said this I would love to see Richie back at his best. I don't expect it though. Selection needs to be ruthless regardless of a players popularity or past performances. It isn't though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Hockied wrote: »
    ....Richie Mac kept Fennelly quiet as a mouse the last time we saw him yet he's past it?? Go way outta that you troll with your 30 posts in 7 years........

😂maybe i am a troll too? I have less posts than that.. But it seems to me that the half back line and corners are working hard to make up for Richie mc and his lack of fitness or his loss of form for past two years. I don't see the point in mentioning one good game he had or a few decent clearances if he is weakening the backs the rest of the time. One good game is not enough and forwards not half as good as fennelly beating him in other games. Having said this I would love to see Richie back at his best. I don't expect it though. Selection needs to be ruthless regardless of a players popularity or past performances. It isn't though.

Richie has to be a leader from his first game in February promising a big one in July is pointless. That's what leadership is about. Get with it Richie or forget it.

BOC on bench tomorrow will keep some happy as is hegarty only want to see him as a back

Thomas Ryan gone to Dublin disappointed thought he would be top class

Some nice hurling today from a slightly experimental limerick team. Well done to Tom Morrissey who got man of match. Great hands and skill. Hope they work on his pace for later in year when ball and ground gets faster. Fingers crossed. Good game from Barry O'Connell who scored nicest point of the game . Aaron Gillane , Richie English and Tom Condon all very good as usual. Congrats to them all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 djfern84

Well lads im after moving up to limerick there with work dont have the time to commute back home to play a bit of gaa looking for a team to play a bit of junior hurling and football with around the city location doesnt really matter im based in dooradoyle any suggestions would be welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kevin7

You could try Monaleen out on the Castletroy side of town. Senior and Junior A football, Senior and Junior B hurling. Phone number there at the bottom of the web page

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

djfern84 wrote: »
    Well lads im after moving up to limerick there with work dont have the time to commute back home to play a bit of gaa looking for a team to play a bit of junior hurling and football with around the city location doesnt really matter im based in dooradoyle any suggestions would be welcome

Mungret St Pauls wouldn't be far from you either

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭lim4ev

kevin7 wrote: »
    You could try Monaleen out on the Castletroy side of town. Senior and Junior A football, Senior and Junior B hurling. Phone number there at the bottom of the web page

If you're in dooradoyle go to mungret(closest) or old Christians which would be 5 min drive away but if you want both I suppose mungret would be the best option

Surely Hegarty would be worth a try at half back ahead of p MC loughlin OK kiely obviously likes Hegarty in a forward role but for me we have more options in forwards than we have for backs esp half backs. I'm not saying he's worth his place in either but we've seen him in the forwards give him a chance in backs. Rest of team looks OK considering what we are missing looks like they've settled on Browne and lynch at midfield for the time being anyway

• Advertisement

That's a really poor team. Paddy is not at that level yet imo. Two potential half backs in the forwards. We should be putting on score on tomorrow not struggling to win

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Shock win for Offaly, that looks like the Dubs goosed already in the promotion race.

I agree re o loughlin can't understand why he'd even be on panel but the mgt must see something in him and that's their job. Re the team in fairness we're missing a lot and with respects to Laois should be good enough to win.

Ofally's performance last night makes next week an awful lot more interesting considering what we'll be missing its away and our struggles with ofally in general I think it could be a very dodgy match for us. I know Dublin had a lot of newcomers but still they beat them by ten pts away.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Greensoup

Was at Gaelic Grounds today and that forward line wont cut it in Tullamore....Gillane and Morrissey did well but two lads there not related to forwards. Tullamore is a ropey place for us at the best of times and we ve struggled against Offaly teams that were alot less prepared than this one.

I was delighted to see Tom morrisey playing well again. I had lost all faith in him last year due to lack of speed. Agree that the forwards were not great but they weren't bad either. Hegarty scored a goal but wasn't great otherwise. Darrach o Donovan and barry o connell took a while to get into it. Barry in position for passes that weren't given on multiple occasions. Thought he worked hard covering ground and got some good ball. Lads taking there own chances on scores regardless of likelyhood of failure. Including gillane. Naturally to earn their spot. Not enough passing at times. Lads brought on recently need a few games to settle. That makes sense. Richie english good too. Browne good enough. Colin Ryan replaced barry oc in second half. Got no ball. Byrnes good. Lynch flicked too many balls into oppositions hands but valuable as always otherwise. Mcloughlin not good really but again might need a game or two more. And laois weren't so terrible either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,639 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Hockied wrote: »
    I was delighted to see Tom morrisey playing well again. I had lost all faith in him last year due to lack of speed. Agree that the forwards were not great but they weren't bad either. Hegarty scored a goal but wasn't great otherwise. Darrach o Donovan and barry o connell took a while to get into it. Barry in position for passes that weren't given on multiple occasions. Thought he worked hard covering ground and got some good ball. Lads taking there own chances on scores regardless of likelyhood of failure. Including gillane. Naturally to earn their spot. Not enough passing at times. Lads brought on recently need a few games to settle. That makes sense. Richie english good too. Browne good enough. Colin Ryan replaced barry oc in second half. Got no ball. Byrnes good. Lynch flicked too many balls into oppositions hands but valuable as always otherwise. Mcloughlin not good really but again might need a game or two more. And laois weren't so terrible either.

Morrissey is a fine player . Him And gillane will be starters by championship . Its now over the next 3 years the underage development will start showing its hand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Tom morrissey was always a good player. Not the fastest of the forwards but never would consider him lacking in pace. His problem I feel was his application in games. From being at Limerick games, he just appeared so lazy any time he togged out for Limerick. If you were to then go watch him for Ahane, it was a complete contrast.

Something has obviously changed now and I'm delighted he has turned the corner.

If we send out the same team next week we'll be in trouble. Not impressed with team selections so far. Changes at FB, half back and get the backs oout of the forwards please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kieranaryan

Lads I'm looking to invite an under 10 team from Limerick up to Salthill Knocknacarra for a game to coincide with the final League match on March 5th in Pearse Stadium. Our club house is right beside the stadium. Anyone interested?

Great to put a score on them. Looking forward to hearing the details

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭LooseCannonUF

Ye fully deserved it, don’t get me wrong.
    I’d say we missed 1-5 or 1-6 from penalty/frees.
    We were in it well in the first half, but the missed penalty and 3 frees cost us.

We also had a lad sent off, I genuinely don’t know what for. He’s not the sort of lad to do something stupid. It was a second yellow alright.

Do any of ye know what it was for?

Do any of ye know what it was for?[/

Offaly lad that got sent off decided to shoulder/third man tackle/knock over a limerick player who was goin to tackle the other Offaly fella who had the ball. stupid and a second yellow.

Limericks defence and mid field in control but amazingly considering the score the forwards bar Gillane didn't impress.

should day too that darragh o Donovan put in a massive effort....hard work, blocks, winning ball in rucks and improved his ball use from last week...he kinda played around the middle and put in some 70 minutes of honest graft.

Ye fully deserved it, don’t get me wrong.
    I’d say we missed 1-5 or 1-6 from penalty/frees.
    We were in it well in the first half, but the missed penalty and 3 frees cost us.

We also had a lad sent off, I genuinely don’t know what for. He’s not the sort of lad to do something stupid. It was a second yellow alright.

Do any of ye know what it was for?

Third man tackle on Hegarty and he already was on a yellow criminally stupid in my opinion especially with his team mate running up the field with the ball anyway i suppose we can all make bad calls.

Re the match I'm sure all will agree that offaly were v poor good win for limerick though in what i thought would be a tricky fixture.Notwithstanding offaly being so poor i was heartened by mostly cian lynch he's really filled out is in super form in mid field and is so more direct which tells me he's getting plenty of coaching i'd have always pencilled him in for the half forward line but seeing his performances in midfield lately i'm not so sure.

Was at fitzgibbon match during the week and also thought he did well.
    Gillane was destroyed by i think P mannion in the fitz match but did well yesterday and though the opposition wouldn't be as strong yesterday than playing against an all irl winner at half back i still think when on form he has the ability to improve us on last year and would seem considering how young he is will be a fine player for us in the future

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Only started watching NaP v Slaught in the 2nd half and my Irish is so bad I didn't realise they were down to 13 men... what an epic recovery from a seemingly hopeless position and another famous chapter in their story. Name must be on the cup now you'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

Only started watching NaP v Slaught in the 2nd half and my Irish is so bad I didn't realise they were down to 13 men... what an epic recovery from a seemingly hopeless position and another famous chapter in their story. Name must be on the cup now you'd imagine.
    I was listening to it on 95FM,between, paw patrol on the main TV,and Ireland v Italy on kitchen t.v,I didn't realise they were down,2 men.Great result.Another great day out, awaits the people of caherdavin,St Patricks weekend.

I always thought it'd be a nap v cuala final and then for nap to win it out but not so sure now I know they were on a hiding to nothing yesterday but they start so slow and as good as slaughtneil were if they do the same v cuala they,ll be down too much to recover.

Having said all that when they do get going they're phenomenal and to pull it out of the bag with 13 deserves great credit I know where I'll be on st Patrick's day

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭commonsense.

Na Piarsaigh were always going to win this even when down to 13.
    No intensity whatsoever from them in the first half. As a result Slaughtneil looked a decent team. But when they were put under pressure in the second half their hurling was very poor and they fell away completely.
    Na Piarsaigh will be happy enough with how the game panned out (sendings off obviously excepted) and you can take it they won't be as slow start in the final.
    The loss of the two players to straight reds won't help them though.
    Boylan not so much maybe but Grimes is a big loss.
    One final thought - wouldn't have given MOTM to lynch. Free taking aside, he contributed very little. Quite anonymous for 30/40 minutes of that game when Slaughtneil were in their faces. His skill levels are 10/10 but not a good man to roll up his sleeves and get into the trenches.
    O'Donoghue the better of the midfielders by a distance yesterday imo.

Thought Ronan Lynch put in a good shift...knocked over 2 vital scores from play when they were struggling in first half, worked hard holding up ball in forwards as well in 2nd half. Made more of a contribution than alot of others for them...but that's just my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Greensoup wrote: »
    Thought Ronan Lynch put in a good shift...knocked over 2 vital scores from play when they were struggling in first half, worked hard holding up ball in forwards as well in 2nd half. Made more of a contribution than alot of others for them...but that's just my opinion.

Have to agree, he was the best NaP player when they were being outplayed. Cuala conceded alot of frees against Mellows around the middle third and if they repeat that in the final, Lynch will be key, a reliable free taker in croke park is a huge advantage.

Advertisement