Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coaching techniques and tactical discussion

• 04-01-2018 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭

I am in the middle of a series of podcast interviews detailing out coaching techniques, tactical shapes and in game discussion for the new Major League Rugby in the USA. The competition has the financial backing to make it a major player in a few years so they need to engage the supporter base and educate them a bit more about the game and the intricacies, which is where these interviews hopefully come in. The first one is a short intro to the modern game and what it's like, next is 242, we will be covering 1331 this friday, 1322 next week and then into defence or counter attack shapes and structures. Will also be doing athlete based environments vs coach based, games vs drills. Anyway I'd appreciate any feedback

1) Basic overview of the modern game
    https://soundcloud.com/earfulofdirt/lineouts-extra-rugby-technique-w-gordon-hanlon-part-1

2) expanding on 242, how to coach it, weaknesses etc. 
    https://soundcloud.com/earfulofdirt/lineouts-extra-rugby-technique-w-gordon-hanlon-part-2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

In my opinion here in Ireland rugby has gotten so popular but its a game that unless you have played it its extremely difficult to fully see whats happening.

In the states where id imagine its a tiny sport, I think you need to start smaller. We don't learn full lineouts until we're 16 here. maybe focus on "rugby", then maybe throw in how it compares/differs to the likes of american football. How our scrum body position in the front row is actually quite similar to that of I think its a blocker in AF. How our out half is similar to the quarter back in that pretty much everything goes through them. You could do endless podcasts on tackle techniques alone.

My point being there is so much to the game of rugby, that when introducing it to a new crowd you need to make it as comparable to what they're used to. America has everything to be a super power imho.

Good luck with the podcast. I'd love to contribute pieces if you're ever stuck

Advertisement