Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Red Sparrow

• 14-09-2017 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭

First trailer:

Stars Jennifer Lawrence as a Russian spy, Joel Edgerton as her target, with Jeremy Irons, Mary Louise Parker and Charlotte Rampling.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

My feeling watching the trailer is that they are holding back.

Could be a good thing (cool story to hide) or a bad thing (no story).

• Registered Users Posts: 84,842 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Was Scarlett Johansson or Charlize Theron unavailable :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭bnt

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It looks like it could be good, but personally am finding it hard to get past those thick Hollywood-Russian accents; Charlotte Rampling and Jeremy Irons are really chewing their consonants. Death of Stalin did not suffer from its cast all speaking in their natural accents (bar Jason Isaacs shouting in a thick Yorkshire accent to hilarious effect); if anything it better defined the characters, as they weren't all gabbling in the same cliché Russian and you could just take them as they were.

In the second trailer, i got thrown and thought she was putting on a scottish accent.

• Advertisement

Slydice wrote: »
    In the second trailer, i got thrown and thought she was putting on a scottish accent.
    Or maybe JL has seen The Hunt for Red October once too often, and expects all Russians to sound like Sean Connery. (His character was actually Lithuanian, not that you could tell.)

Well, the reviews are coming in, and they're somewhat ... meh. I'd still watch it, though. :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

bnt wrote: »
    Or maybe JL has seen The Hunt for Red October once too often, and expects all Russians to sound like Sean Connery. (His character was actually Lithuanian, not that you could tell.)

Or perhaps Robbie Coltrane in Goldeneye!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

isnt this basically the black widow movie people have been wanting for ages ?

kinda surprised no ones getting sued by the mouse TBH.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Tefral

I watched it today. It's decent!

I'm kinda surprised it's a 16 rated move. There's full frontal nudity. And some fairly violent torture scenes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

bnt wrote: »

What about Miley Byrne in Alexander.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Saw this tonight, loved it. A proper spy film. Lawerence is very good but Joel Edgerton is exceptional. To be fair the acting is top drawer all round. I read reviews that gave it modest ratings at best and its RT score is fairly low. I went to see black panther last week and I was really disappointed, considering the glowing reviews and high RT score, I and my friends were genuinely baffled by the praise heaped upon it. Red sparrow is the opposite, poor reviews and low scores, even though its the better film by a mile. Im starting to suspect that marvel have a lot of critics in their pocket.....
    Anyway Red sparrow is a gripping thriller and an all round quality film.

tunguska wrote: »
    Saw this tonight, loved it. A proper spy film. Lawerence is very good but Joel Edgerton is exceptional. To be fair the acting is top drawer all round. I read reviews that gave it modest ratings at best and its RT score is fairly low. I went to see black panther last week and I was really disappointed, considering the glowing reviews and high RT score, I and my friends were genuinely baffled by the praise heaped upon it. Red sparrow is the opposite, poor reviews and low scores, even though its the better film by a mile. Im starting to suspect that marvel have a lot of critics in their pocket.....

Agreed, very good flick. JL is brave to take on the role, quite revealing to say the least! Her best performance so far I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,066 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I really liked this. I feel like the trailer implied that this was an action flick but I'm quite glad that it wasn't. Great performance from Lawrence as well as the rest of the cast. I'm a bit shocked that the IMDB score is so low at 6.7.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

I'm a bit shocked that the IMDB score is so low at 6.7.

Probably because its not an action flick, and no mandatory 2.5 points for a Fish Man!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Went to see this last night and found it pretty enjoyable. I recall seeing Child 44 with two of my favourite actors in it (Oldman & Hardy) and being fairly annoyed with their accents. Perhaps it was there being an American presence throughout the film meant it wasn't so grating but overall I thought Irons, Lawrence etc. did quite a good job.

I thought Lawrence was very good, as was Edgarton, who was well supported by Bill Camp - who I was convinced was the same CIA guy from Narcos for the entire movie until I had google to hand.

Overall it's a solid 7.5 movie, enjoyable watch that I'd recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I went to see this today and thought it was excellent. I thought Jennifer Lawrence was excellent in it with a very sexy russian accent on her and the other actors were very good too. There is some violent moments in the film some torture and full nudity as well as a few nice twists and even a little humour in it.

Overall I would give it 8 out of 10.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

whats with yer man stripping off ??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

tunguska wrote: »

I was baffled by black panther reviews. Ill add wonder woman to the list of reviews that baffled me too. Both got exceptionally excellent reviews. Wtf was good about them? They had entertainment value if you like action but seriously I don't see anything original about either other than the superheroes being women and black which is interesting but hardly gonna carry the movie. They were both bland formulaic superhero movies with only a very superficial thematic change

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

This was entertaining enough, but some if it was so over the top that I couldn't really take it seriously. A critic said this was "like 'Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy,' but only if it were directed by Showgirls-era Paul Verhoeven", and I have to agree. Verhoeven would have probably made it more fun though. The best and most ridicolous part was that
    "whore school"
    she had to attend. I mean, come on! :rolleyes:
    The highlight for me was Mary-Louise Parker, she brought so much to her tiny role. JLaw was fine, but she seemed to get worse and worse the more it went on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 JJ59

Saw this today J Law was very good but it was at least half an hour to long and large parts of plot just implausable Passed a Sunday afternoon though. Could have done with a few more native Russians

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

just saw it on dvd tonight....

what a load of bollocks that was...

talk about using every cliche in the book, people speaking with exaggerated russian accents looking cold & sinister, the stupid classroom sex scenes that we're suppose to find "disturbing":rolleyes: and who the hell uses floppy discs in this day and age??

nah i thought it was crap

Finally watched this! Thought it was really well done.

That scene
    with the scene peeling and the knives though!!
    :eek::eek:

Wiki says there interest in a sequel by the director in 2018 but nothing more..
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Sparrow#Proposed_sequel

Wondering about Box Office, I checked it against Atomic Blonde. Film|Cost $ million|Box Office $ million
    RS|69|151.6
    AB|30|100.1

That left the films with:
    RS: 82.6
    AB: 70.1

Feels like a similarity between the two Female lead spy films.

versus Mission Impossible and Bond films costing around 200m to 300m but making back around 800m to 900m:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 student2020

I preferred this over Atomic Blonde even though I found Atomic Blonde got better reviews.

I'd give this 6.0 / 10

it's ok.

the last minute complete switch-up is a bit of a cheap shot and it's a plainly completely ridiculous story.

Advertisement