Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Influencers over-editing photos in Social Media/Cyber-bullying accusations

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I've seen a few people say things to Tesco about not buying their clothing range due to MUF. It'd be great to see a brand take action and stop working with them but I don't think this will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    I've seen a few people say things to Tesco about not buying their clothing range due to MUF. It'd be great to see a brand take action and stop working with them but I don't think this will happen.

Honestly at this point seeing bloggers work with brands just puts me off buying from them. I think the tide is turning on these 'influencers' as they now have little more credibility than the paid for placements in magazines that they superseded.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Do ye think this whole situation will change things though, or do ye think it'll be a hot topic for a while, die down and they go back to to their old ways/attitudes?
    I hope it will change how people view bloggers and that more people will question things like the validity of someone's praise of a different brand each week.
    However I don't think it will change the ways of many bloggers. MUF has already show that she has learned nothing from what happened the last few days, nothing seems to have registered for her. I doubt that bloggers are suddenly going to admit that they've been getting cosmetics procedures and that their plump lips are not just down to lipliner and lip gloss etc etc. They'll throw up a few "no makeup " selfies and hope that when the fuss dies down after a few days it's be "business" as usual for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ace_irl

I saw that nail comment somewhere else, I think it was on reddit to! I couldn't care less if she taps her nails, I literally only noticed she did it when she went on about it herself so she made that one worse by herself. I'm sure she was fuming, I'd say they all had a big rant in their group chat and decided to all go on and go mad and they were certain we'd all be sheepish the next day and be singing their praises.

It's a joke on them, if they had actually engaged with people who had been critical of them and listened to what people actually taught, they'd have known something like this was coming. They misjudged the entire thing.

I think things will either change in a big way or this will all just burn out and go back to how it was. I think MUF will take an extended break and re launch herself, Sosue will go on a big talking buzz about it again but then she'll be back to doing her own thing and we'll probs just see an anti bullying mention every now and again.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Muf Facebook has photos up last day or two that are obviously tuned and trimmed so nothing will change. Also promoting being fit and protein and the gym. It’s so sad it really is, Facebook really is the best name for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Sue is busy today looking to get involved with a charity who has a "stance against anti-bullying"...
    Someone would want to inform her of double negatives!

inconceivable.gif

anna080 wrote: »
    Rosie had shlt on her face the next day. Her response yesterday was at total odds with the venomous aggression in her voice a day prior, did you see the passive aggressive nail tapping? That was a direct response to a comment written under one of the pictures on Instagram, so don't tell me she wasn't fuming about the insta page, she was! They overreacted, people responsed in a way they weren't expecting and now they're backtracking. They throught these notions about them were only thought by an isolated cohort of catty culty bltches on t'internet and were shocked by the backlash that actually many of their followers felt the same.
    The backtracking by all of them was gas. "Oh I didn't mean that, im cool with old pictures being shown- who cares??" 24 hours after she was in an absolute hysteric uploading old photos of herself trying to one up people.

Rosie, Suzanne et al were very quick to point fingers, cry bullying etc. Their reaction was very rash, in short they were just unprofessional. I know some of us may say things in the heat of the moment, but when we are in a work capacity, you certainly have to at least count to 5 before going off on one! Imagine if you behaved like that in your own workplace - went off like that because your boss or a customer critiqued something you did which you probably know you shouldn't do anyway, I'm sorry but you would have gotten a stern warning, if not a P45!

I don't follow these missies, and any bloggers I follow who did make a comment on the goings-on did so yesterday, after they read and listened to what was being said, and took the time to formulate their own thoughts and opinions on it, and put together a coherent and thought out piece or comment.

Sue is busy today looking to get involved with a charity who has a "stance against anti-bullying"...

inconceivable.gif

Is she actually? I will be catching up on snap in a few mins!

Does she not know how to google?

Maybe I should email her a link to the thread I started on here with the help lines!

Translation: looking for a charity to pay her to promote them.

(Well didn't Dog's Trust pay her?)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

It's a wonder that the Andrea Roche Agency didn't say something earlier, or even spot trouble brewing. I wonder was there panic over the weekend when all this blew up. Rosie, Suzanne and Joanne are all influencers with the AR Agency.

There have been so many issues in the last year that you'd think a professional company like that would have a contingency plan to spring into action:
    • Implying items were bought and not sent
    • Lack of #sp and #ad resulting in ASAI cracking down
    • Affiliate links and bloggers get a % of sales
    • Declaring tax on payments from reviews
    • Videoing (Snapchat / Instagram) while driving
    • Rumblings about kids featuring so heavily
    • Lack of actual blogging and an increase in just daily ramblings about everyday things
    • Denial about fillers, botox, surgery
    • Admittance of having fillers, botox, surgery and saying you never denied it
    • All the product launches
    • White labelled goods
    • "Bespoke" items vs items plucked from Ali Express
    • Prices of influencer goods (Pippa's planner & candles)
    • Facetuning your image to the extent that you are no longer the same person and worthy or being the Lancet for being able to survive without body organs
    Some of the above, I don't mind too much. I give credit in that there is a transition from becoming a small blogger into Ireland's top influencer and having to navigate learning all of the grown up things.

That said, they can hardly complain about it when people question certain things in regards to transparency. I'm not talking about people who gossip about their physical appearance (like did they have their lips done) but when customers (and that's who viewers are) ask if the tan they are seeing has been overlaid with a filter.

I think the initial hit out about the bullying claims was a knee jerk reaction to all of the above. For the past year, viewers have become more savvy and are asking the tough questions not just all love light and praise comments. In most cases, it's not being bitchy or catty towards another woman, but genuine curiosity. I think Rosie and SoSueMe realised that their reaction was OTT and backtracked on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

inconceivable.gif

Ah is she jaysis damage control

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

wyrn wrote: »

There have been so many issues in the last year that you'd think a professional company like that would have a contingency plan to spring into action:
    • Implying items were bought and not sent
    • Lack of #sp and #ad resulting in ASAI cracking down
    • Affiliate links and bloggers get a % of sales
    • Declaring tax on payments from reviews
    • Videoing (Snapchat / Instagram) while driving
    • Rumblings about kids featuring so heavily
    • Lack of actual blogging and an increase in just daily ramblings about everyday things
    • Denial about fillers, botox, surgery
    • Admittance of having fillers, botox, surgery and saying you never denied it
    • All the product launches
    • White labelled goods
    • "Bespoke" items vs items plucked from Ali Express
    • Prices of influencer goods (Pippa's planner & candles)
    • Facetuning your image to the extent that you are no longer the same person and worthy or being the Lancet for being able to survive without body organs
    Some of the above, I don't mind too much. I give credit in that there is a transition from becoming a small blogger into Ireland's top influencer and having to navigate learning all of the grown up things.

I don't get why people are put out about Bloggers having surgery and not telling the public. It's not really any one's business unless it's something that they feel they would like to share. If I had surgery I wouldn't feel obliged to tell the people I worked with or my friends. Surely it's up to them as to what they disclose with respect to their appearance and bodies, I doubt the average non blogging individual shares a FB post when they get work done.

222233 wrote: »
    I don't get why people are put out about Bloggers having surgery and not telling the public. It's not really any one's business unless it's something that they feel they would like to share. If I had surgery I wouldn't feel obliged to tell the people I worked with or my friends. Surely it's up to them as to what they disclose with respect to their appearance and bodies, I doubt the average non blogging individual shares a FB post when they get work done.
    Ah I meant to clarify that point. I personally don't care if anyone has any work done. I'm so oblivious to it anyway, someone in my family could come back with a whole new face and I'd never notice.

What I meant it, lots of bloggers get questions about that kind of stuff. I presume some are nosy or others are thinking of getting something done (like fillers) and are asking where did they get it done or how much. It's the bloggers themselves who come on and deny things. I remember MUF denying having fillers done and then saying she had it done once years ago. That's the point I was trying to make. Not that they had work done but that they bring up they haven't when they probably have. If MUF hadn't said anything, I'd have been none the wiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

@notjustsweet (not a mod note btw) I don't think that one is correct. The picture on the right was from her plus-size modelling days afaik, and the picture on the left is a recent one.

Both photos were taken in Feb 2016 on thw same week. One was taken by her and heavily edited. 3 days later she did a modelling shoot with a plus size lingerie company called Dear Scantilly. Dear Scantilly posted the unedited photo of her with a fuller body.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Translation: looking for a charity to pay her to promote them.

(Well didn't Dog's Trust pay her?)
    And look how well that turned out...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

wyrn wrote: »
    Ah I meant to clarify that point. I personally don't care if anyone has any work done. I'm so oblivious to it anyway, someone in my family could come back with a whole new face and I'd never notice.

What I meant it, lots of bloggers get questions about that kind of stuff. I presume some are nosy or others are thinking of getting something done (like fillers) and are asking where did they get it done or how much. It's the bloggers themselves who come on and deny things. I remember MUF denying having fillers done and then saying she had it done once years ago. That's the point I was trying to make. Not that they had work done but that they bring up they haven't when they probably have. If MUF hadn't said anything, I'd have been none the wiser.
    I don't have any issue with anyone getting anything done.
    What I do have an issue with is when people for example obviously get implants and when asked say it's all down to contouring, while funnily enough they're flogging a contouring palette....

Ginny wrote: »
    And look how well that turned out...

"My Bella"

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Lindy97

Yes, when the cosmetic work is being directly linked to products etc then they should disclose it.

I wonder did the reward for the lost dog ever make it to a charity since the finder apparently didn't want it?

ratmouse wrote: »
    "My Bella"

That was heartbreaking.

I actually think Sue has a big heart for dogs. It's something I'd love to see her do more of is charity work for them.

• Advertisement

I don't have any issue with anyone getting anything done.
    What I do have an issue with is when people for example obviously get implants and when asked say it's all down to contouring, while funnily enough they're flogging a contouring palette....
    That's exactly what I meant. Cheers.

Lindy97 wrote: »
    Yes, when the cosmetic work is being directly linked to products etc then they should disclose it.

I wonder did the reward for the lost dog ever make it to a charity since the finder apparently didn't want it?

Is it that she didn't want it or was never given it?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Lindy97

I believe what I read was that the finder said they didn't want it. I genuinely can't recall where I saw it but it was on facebook where the finder posted a message to Suzanne introducing themselves, must have been her page.

Edit: its in the comments here
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1583166571766734&substory_index=0&id=111849935565079
    Sounds like they never even got the girls name so how they expected to give a reward is beyond me

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Keira G is correct, MUF posted the altered pic stating it was 3 days until shoot, the other pic is the one she used yesterday to defend herself and is the Curvy Kate pic.
    The second pic below is the one she posted herself from the CK shoot. Vast differences between all 3.Absolutely nothing wrong with her figure, but you can't be flogging tickets to a body positivity workshop while photoshopping like this.
    https://ibb.co/fi08U6

https://ibb.co/iHaQ96

Just playing devil’s advocate for a minute...When I look at these pics, and I compare them to the CK photos, I’m inclined to wonder if the truth is somewhere in between. CK sell their products to the fuller figured woman, so it’s in their interest to make their pictures as “soft” or as “round” as possible if you get me. On the other hand, the model wants to look as thin as possible. Posture, pose and lighting can account for a lot, without even going near photoshop.

Having said all that, it still doesn’t remove the fact that there is a responsibility on bloggers to be honest and transparent. If photos have been heavily edited, that should be mentioned.

While I do agree that cosmetic procedures are by and large a personal and private thing - when you let on to followers that your plump lips are due to lip liner, nude lipstick and lip gloss - you are effectively lying to your followers.

I know when some bloggers who may possibly have lip fillers done are showing a lip product I find myself peering at their lips trying to see if the just overlined their lips or if it's lip filler and I'm not even seeing the lip product they are trying to show. On the other hand, one blogger I follow who has disclosed that she has gotten lip fillers, Jen from TooDolly Makeup, I find that I don't even pass any remarks on her lips, I actually look at whatever lip product she is reviewing.

In a roundabout way, disclosing something like having lip fillers allows a follower to make an informed discussion about a lip product

The difference being you're not trying to sell yourself and your lifestyle to your friends and family, so it matters not what you disclose to them. It's about time "influencers", by that very term realised that they have a duty to be responsible to their following and especially so if you're marketing yourself as some kind of pinnacle of body positivity whereby you intend on capitalising on the insecurities or vulnerabilities of your following, all while lying to them about the reality of your own life and distorting your appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

I’m just delighted this has all come out in the wash

Lindy97 wrote: »

If by charity you mean Dominoes, then yes, it probably did!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I’m just delighted this has all come out in the wash

The pics posted in this thread aren't even the half of it.
    I'm not on my phone so I can't post any more, but there were easily 30+ photos of her, both taken on the same day, where in one she was edited to a size 4 Bratz doll, and the other, a normal, healthy sized roughly 12-14 woman.

She has even contacted fans and made them delete non curated photos and selfies they got with her, because she couldn't edit and control them. Her book launch was over 2 years ago and she really upset one fan by sending her a threatening message, warning her to delete a photo, because she looked "fat" in it.

What's on this thread is only the tip of the iceberg.

• Advertisement

ace_irl wrote: »
    I actually think Sue has a big heart for dogs. It's something I'd love to see her do more of is charity work for them.

What a lot of us would like to see her do more of is staying at home with her dogs instead of passing them off at weekends or when off on very regular holidays

Advertisement