Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Influencers over-editing photos in Social Media/Cyber-bullying accusations

• 08-01-2018 12:26pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

A lot has happened over the weekend regarding Irish influencers/bloggers. You can post in here about it, to keep the regular threads on-topic.

This is a gentle reminder to please keep to to the charter. If you have a problem with a post, report it but otherwise, fire away.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Does anyone have an image of the photoshop comparison? All the Instagram and Facebook accounts are closed so it's hard to find the images in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I'm on my phone, so I can't post many. But these are some of the pictures being shared on the Instagram page..

3wDhAYX.jpg

EuflOP5.jpg

Again. Nothing wrong with how she really looks- but it's the extent of the photoshopping that makes people uncomfortable. She is curvy and womanly. Not elfin like a petit as she would have you believe.

This was the picture she posted yesteday (now deleted) where she tried to defend herself and make some kind of deranged point about how she was once "a size 14 fatty" and she's insecure.

QMy1VTN.jpg

Personally, I think the image on the right is nothing short of disgraceful. It's actually uncomfortable to look at, and if she uploaded that to formulate some kind of defence for herself well it's a sad indictment of her state of mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

https://twitter.com/gilleechi/status/950033262130421760

This wasn't on any of the groups afaik, came across it last night.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

@notjustsweet (not a mod note btw) I don't think that one is correct. The picture on the right was from her plus-size modelling days afaik, and the picture on the left is a recent one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

How anyone can defend her after seeing the extent at which she photoshops herself is beyond me.

Her target audience is teenagers, she is a woman in her 30's influencing them to buy her own brand turkey burgers and protein shakers, and to attend her lifestyle workshop for €65 a ticket. She is encouraging them to buy these things under the illusion that they, too, will look like her, if they buy into her lifestyle. How can anyone hope to look like her when SHE doesn't even look like herself?!

The extent to which she edits herself is dangerous and irresponsible. Its a disgrace that she called those who brought this to light bullies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

@notjustsweet (not a mod note btw) I don't think that one is correct. The picture on the right was from her plus-size modelling days afaik, and the picture on the left is a recent one.

No that tweet is correct. The pic on the right is from a shoot she did with Curvy Kate lingerie in Feb/March 2016. The pic on the left is three days before the shoot. It's all on Joanne's instagram.

Edit: adding in insta links:
    photoshoot

Three days until photoshoot

I'd be inclined to agree with you if I didn't know Kiera G knows her stuff and at the time of that photo she did put up some heavily edited photos.

I think that's the point KG is making that she can photoshop to the extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

wolfmoon87 wrote: »
    No that tweet is correct. The pic on the right is from a shoot she did with Curvy Kate lingerie in Feb/March 2016. The pic on the left is three days before the shoot. It's all on Joanne's instagram.

So is the one on the right the photo Curvy Kate lingerie would have put up? And meanwhile the other one is her version of her body at the time?

Or am I misunderstanding?

toodleytoo wrote: »
    So is the one on the right the photo Curvy Kate lingerie would have put up? And meanwhile the other one is her version of her body at the time?

No, that's exactly it. The one on the right was used for the advertising campaign and the other one was uploaded to her personal instagram. Its actually mind blowing.

toodleytoo wrote: »

The one on the right is unedited.
    The one on the left is how heavily she photoshops her body to look completely different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭Rfrip

It’s madness. I’m delighted this has come to light now..bullying my arse ffs...

What’s wrong here is with Joanne a lot of her followers are so young, you see pics of her with actual kiddies. This is so so wrong on so many levels what they are doing. The editing is a disgrace. If she’s not happy in her own skin then she shouldn’t be “influencer”

Just to say there is nothing wrong with Joanne in the before pics, If I had her figure in the before pics I’d be doing well... this is not the issue it’s her complete cheek to overly edit. I actually find it so maddening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I'm delighted this has been brought to light. The extent that she photoshops it absolutely ridiculous. She is completely out of proportion and a lot of the time she resembles a bratz doll.

I am also disgusted the route that Goss.ie took insinuating that her ex Paul was emotionally abusive towards her.

Even her response to this whole thing is warped. She needs help.

Rfrip wrote: »
    It’s madness. I’m delighted this has come to light now..bullying my arse ffs...

What’s wrong here is with Joanne a lot of her followers are so young, you see pics of her with actual kiddies. This is so so wrong on so many levels what they are doing. The editing is a disgrace. If she’s not happy in her own skin then she shouldn’t be “influencer”

Just to say there is nothing wrong with Joanne in the before pics, If I had her figure in the before pics I’d be doing well... this is not the issue it’s her complete cheek to overly edit. I actually find it so maddening

That's the worst thing. Her real, unedited figure is lovely. She is in proportion and toned and looks healthy and well.
    Her edited body resembles a Bratz doll. Her waist isn't wide enough to fit in her internal organs and her neck isn't wide enough to support her head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

How does she get away with it?

Is it not obvious to those who attend her workshops or meet her in person that she looks nothing like the cartoonish images she posts on the net?

The sad thing is that she actually looks much better in reality, if the alternative pictures of her reflect that.

Is she going to be doing this at 35? At 40? I cannot imagine that she will cope with the ageing process very well. And what will her target market be then?

There is obviously massive insecurity underlying this. In a deleted post to Instagram/Facebook yesterday she claims to have binged and starved herself. I've done that too. There comes a time in your life where you have to address the underlying psychological issues involved or risk serious damage to your health. I really wish she could find the strength to do that, even if it means stepping away from social media for good.

Anyone who has followed Joanne for a lengthy period will know it's mainly young teenagers who buy her products. She snaps them with their products and many of them look to be 13-16 age. That is what's wrong here. Her target market and the ones buying into her lies are the most impressionable bracket of people you could come across.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Jebus that’s some serious editing. It doesn’t look remotely like her, it’s very sad to see. She’s done well for herself she should be proud of that, not some false projection character she’s created. No wonder people are so body conscious, I’m so glad social media wasn’t around when I was younger.

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    I'm delighted this has been brought to light. The extent that she photoshops it absolutely ridiculous. She is completely out of proportion and a lot of the time she resembles a bratz doll.

I am also disgusted the route that Goss.ie took insinuating that her ex Paul was emotionally abusive towards her.

Even her response to this whole thing is warped. She needs help.

I think Joanne was very conveniently aloof in how she worded her reference to "emotional abuse".
    I wonder will she clarify who she was taking about or is she happy to have a potentially innocent man ripped to shreds and assumed an abuser? Will she don her empowering superhero cape and save him from attack, or let him get hit with awful assumptions? Because last time I checked she was all for calling out the bullies and not fuelling the flames. Very irresponsible of her, yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Lindy97

I've no doubt that these influencers get a certain amount of abuse from people and that's never ok, no one is defending that.
    That's not what this is however and they never differentiate, anything they see as negativity or criticism is automatically labelled as hate and abuse. This was glaringly obvious when they turned this into an ill judged, self serving anti bullying crusade which many are now back tracking frantically on after it blew up in their faces.
    Editing your photos to that extent, while flogging tickets to body positivity workshops and claiming that obvious cosmetic work you've had done is the result of products alone, is not ok.
    We're living in a world where 11 year old girls are killing themselves because they're not pretty enough so this **** needs to stop. Be honest about work you've had done, don't lie and say it was contouring or a lip product, don't edit your photos to make yourself 2 sizes smaller than you are, because when you're vulnerable followers can't achieve the same, you're adding to the problem of making them feel less than.

Sorry but Ive had it up to here with this victim mentality they all have about anything negative said about them. They need to answer to someone

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Ah, fair enough, sorry njs :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Keira G is correct, MUF posted the altered pic stating it was 3 days until shoot, the other pic is the one she used yesterday to defend herself and is the Curvy Kate pic.
    The second pic below is the one she posted herself from the CK shoot. Vast differences between all 3.Absolutely nothing wrong with her figure, but you can't be flogging tickets to a body positivity workshop while photoshopping like this.
    https://ibb.co/fi08U6

https://ibb.co/iHaQ96

• Advertisement

anna080 wrote: »
    I think Joanne was very conveniently aloof in how she worded her reference to "emotional abuse".
    I wonder will she clarify who she was taking about or is she happy to have a potentially innocent man ripped to shreds and assumed an abuser? Will she don her empowering superhero cape and save him from attack, or let him get hit with awful assumptions? Because last time I checked she was all for calling out the bullies and not fuelling the flames. Very irresponsible of her, yet again.

Of course she won't.

Bullying wasn't an issue for her when her ex was being abused by her followers was it? She's a hypocrite.

I don't really know what I make of Louise, Sue and Rosie almost back tracking. They kinda threw her under the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ace_irl

I think Rosie came across the best, she actually seamed to take a bit of ownership and I had respect for her for saying she is going to try to do less editing etc. In saying that, I don't think she was ever bad with over editing in the first place.

I think Sue was embarrassed a bit by her rant, and I think MUF is hiding, she was very clever to not actually address the editing thing at all, totally by passed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

wolfmoon87 wrote: »

Edit: adding in insta links:
    photoshoot

Three days until photoshoot

Omg that is unbelievable how has she gotten away with it for so long

Yeah, Sue back-pedalled a lot on Snapchat. I wonder was the makeup-free face deliberate too?

Hopefully she'll actually stick to what she says and use her voice and influence for good in 2018.

Do ye think this whole situation will change things though, or do ye think it'll be a hot topic for a while, die down and they go back to to their old ways/attitudes?

anna080 wrote: »

That’s her though isn’t it clarifies nothing she will allow Paul to receive the abuse from her followers and not make it clear if it was him or not

Yeah, Sue back-pedalled a lot on Snapchat. I wonder was the makeup-free face deliberate too?

Hopefully she'll actually stick to what she says and use her voice and influence for good in 2018.

Do ye think this whole situation will change things though, or do ye think it'll be a hot topic for a while, die down and they go back to to their old ways/attitudes?

Judging by Joanne's response to it (showing us a heavily edited pic alongside a regular pic) she has learned absolutely nothing and will continue doing what she always does.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Lindy97

I think a few will try to change but looking at MUF's instagram, I can't see her changing. She's still deleting and blocking anyone who says anything about it. She can't do that forever though, when the money stops she'll have to do something. Her brand has been seriously damaged by this.

I think this has opened a lot of peoples eyes - on the surface it looked like she had it all, her body was the stuff of envy and she lapped up the praise while she was getting it. Now that its come out she never had that body in the first place, a lot of people seem to have been turned off her.

I was going to look up her social blade stats to see if she lost many followers yesterday, but there's no point. She has form for buying in the region of 1k followers a week so they aren't a realistic view of her following/reach either. Everything about her is fake.

Lindy97 wrote: »
    I've no doubt that these influencers get a certain amount of abuse from people and that's never ok, no one is defending that.
    That's not what this is however and they never differentiate, anything they see as negativity or criticism is automatically labelled as hate and abuse. This was glaringly obvious when they turned this into an ill judged, self serving anti bullying crusade which many are now back tracking frantically on after it blew up in their faces.
    Editing your photos to that extent, while flogging tickets to body positivity workshops and claiming that obvious cosmetic work you've had done is the result of products alone, is not ok.
    We're living in a world where 11 year old girls are killing themselves because they're not pretty enough so this **** needs to stop. Be honest about work you've had done, don't lie and say it was contouring or a lip product, don't edit your photos to make yourself 2 sizes smaller than you are, because when you're vulnerable followers can't achieve the same, you're adding to the problem of making them feel less than.

Sorry but Ive had it up to here with this victim mentality they all have about anything negative said about them. They need to answer to someone

Shame on any brand that continues to work with her maybe they will realise the smaller bloggers who don’t buy followers and edit their image and portray the perfect life showing off big houses designer bags flying away constantly and #Ads constantly are the ones the consumer trusts

• Advertisement

ace_irl wrote: »
    I think Rosie came across the best, she actually seamed to take a bit of ownership and I had respect for her for saying she is going to try to do less editing etc. In saying that, I don't think she was ever bad with over editing in the first place.

I think Sue was embarrassed a bit by her rant, and I think MUF is hiding, she was very clever to not actually address the editing thing at all, totally by passed it.

Rosie had shlt on her face the next day. Her response yesterday was at total odds with the venomous aggression in her voice a day prior, did you see the passive aggressive nail tapping? That was a direct response to a comment written under one of the pictures on Instagram, so don't tell me she wasn't fuming about the insta page, she was! They overreacted, people responsed in a way they weren't expecting and now they're backtracking. They throught these notions about them were only thought by an isolated cohort of catty culty bltches on t'internet and were shocked by the backlash that actually many of their followers felt the same.
    The backtracking by all of them was gas. "Oh I didn't mean that, im cool with old pictures being shown- who cares??" 24 hours after she was in an absolute hysteric uploading old photos of herself trying to one up people.

Advertisement