Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

An 18 Week Sabbatical

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Surly you can let things go a bit over Christmas. One session where you haven’t hit the pace? Hardly a crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Monday 25th December
    No weigh-in

Recovery Run - 10km
    10.01km in 47:41, 4:46/km
    I was expecting to be hungover tomorrow and did consider swapping this with the 16km general aerobic run scheduled for St. Stephen's Day. But I also had to drive up from Tipperary to Dublin today and felt pressurised into keeping my Christmas Day run as short as possible, so a short and easy jaunt is what I decided on.
    Totals;
    Time: 0:48 - Distance: 10.01km

Tuesday 26th December
    No weigh-in

General Aerobic Run - 16km w. 10 x 100m strides
    16.01km in 1:12:02, 4:30/km
    I came up to Dublin for Christmas dinner in my brother's yesterday and spent the night there as well. So I was able to do this on the usual roads I run.
    I don't need to run as fast for my general aerobic runs as I do for most other runs on the plan, which was just as well, as I could feel the ill effects of yesterday's gluttony and excessive imbibement. Still it wasn't overly difficult to hit and hold the pace I needed to run.
    Totals;
    Time: 1:12 - Distance: 16.01km

Wednesday 27th December
    No weigh in

Medium Long Run - 19km
    19.00km in 1:20:02, 4:13/km
    This was supposed to de done on Friday and I should have been doing a 23km MLR today. I'd wasted a lot of time in the morning and had a wedding to go to tonight, so even though the 23km run would have taken an extra 17 minutes, I felt time was at a premium and I opted to swap around this week's two MLRs.
    I felt okay during the run itself and the over indulgences I engaged in over the last two days didn't seem to have too much of an adverse affect on my running. Temperatures had dropped below zero last night and there were still patches of frost and ice on the paths today. I had two scary moments early on when I slipped on some black ice. I stayed upright both times, but it made me very cautious for the rest of the run.
    Totals;
    Time: 1:20 - Distance: 19.00km

Thursday 28th December
    No weigh-in

Cross Trainer
    50 minutes easy
    Once again, I did what's become my weekly 50 minute recovery "run" on the cross trainer.

Friday 29th December
    78.2kg

Medium Long Run - 23km
    23.00km in 1:37:57, 4:16/km
    I was back in The Phoenix Park for this and did 90% of it on grass. My enthusiasm varied quite a bit and by the end, although I was happy enough with the pace I held, I'd have preferred if it had felt a bit easier. The obvious solution to this would be to lose weight. I'll make it through the Christmas and get cracking on that.
    Totals;
    Time: 1:38 - Distance: 23.00km

Saturday 30th December
    77.6kg

Recovery Run - 10km
    10.01km in 49:15, 4:55/km
    I was hoping to get this out of the way early on, but I spent the whole day doing nothing in particular and ended up running in the dark. I was taking things very easy, whilst contemplating the 32km long run that's on the plan for tomorrow.
    Totals;
    Time: 0:49 - Distance: 10.01km

Sunday 31st December
    No weigh-in

Long Run - 32km
    26.00km in 1:48:23, 4:10/km
    I drove to the Phoenix Park for this, partly because I'd be able to run on grass for 100% of the distance if I so chose. But also because this was going to be my longest training run in over three months, I felt I'd deserve a reward after finishing it. It was in the café in The Visitors' Centre that I intended on rewarding myself with coffee and cake galore.
    I parked in the VC carpark and started into the 32km run from there. Although I'd began with the intention of making this run as easy as possible, the pace came easily enough and after half an hour, I decided I'd tackle some of the hillier sections of The Park. I was able to maintain my desired pace and although it wasn't as comfortable as I'd have liked, I never found the 4:10/km average pace I held a struggle.
    There were a few showers that made me wish I was wearing more than a base layer and T-shirt, but it never felt like I was soaked to the skin and I wasn't as miserable as I potentially could have been.
    I'd taken a gel with me, but never felt the need for it and got through the whole run without fuel or water. There was no need for a toilet break either and I didn't stop my watch from start to finish, which outside of a race is a rarity for me when running for this length of time.
    I was fairly happy with myself upon finishing and arrived back in the VC carpark bang on 32km. It had been an almost perfect training run and I felt like I'd well and truly earned the coffee and cake I'd been promising myself. I put on some dry clothes and made my way to the café only to be greeted by a sign informing me it was closed for the day. Ah well, I'll take it as a sign from the running gods that I'm too fat to deserve cake.
    Totals;
    Time: 1:53 - Distance: 27.01km

Weekly Totals;
    Running: 8:00 - 110.03km

Cross training : 0:50 (No swimming & 50 minutes on cross trainer)
    S & C: 0:00

Nothing to do with running I know, but as I stated in my opening post, I was hoping to use swimming as regular cross training. I didn't make it to the swimming pool once this week however. This was partly due to irregular pool opening hours, but mainly due to a total lack of enthusiasm. I wasn't too enthusiastic about much of the runs I had to do either, but at least I got them done. There was nothing overly challenging about anything I had to do this week, which was welcome given the week that was in it.
    A much more difficult week lies ahead though and I fear it's then I'm going to pay the price for the excesses of the festive season.

rooneyjm wrote: »
    Surly you can let things go a bit over Christmas. One session where you haven’t hit the pace? Hardly a crisis.

The 2kg weight gain from December 24th to 28th, and sporadic weigh-ins last week, should show that I did let things go. I'm not back to work until Monday, so Christmas isn't over for me and no doubt it'll be a while yet before I'm happy with my weight and my running.

You're right, it's not a crisis, but if the trends haven't started to reverse by the end of January, it will be. Anyway, if you found your way here from my old log, you should have known what to expect.
    zico10 wrote: »
    anybody who wants to follow this next step in my sporting journey can do so here; https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105482532#post105482532
    Usual dosages of self deprecating comments and poor body image guaranteed.

Monday 1st January
    76.7kg

a.m.
    Recovery Run - 10km
    10.00km in 50:52, 5:05/km
    Totals;
    Time: 0:51 - Distance: 10.00km

p.m.
    Recovery Run - 6km
    6.01km in 30:57, 5:09/km
    Totals;
    Time: 0:31 - Distance: 6.01km

This was the first double run day in the plan. When they're only short, easy recovery runs like these two were today and when I'm off work, it's fairly easy to get both done, as was the case today.

Tuesday 2nd January
    76.6kg

Lactate Threshold Run - 16km w. 6km @Threshold Pace
    16.00km in 1:03:03, 3:56/km
    Warm up - Kilometre Splits; 1) 4:26, 2) 4:07, 3) 4:04, 4) 3:55, 5) 3:52, 6) 3:49, 7) 3:52, 8) 3:56,
    2 - Threshold Pace; Kilometre splits; 1) 3:28, 2) 3:29, 3) 3:50, 4) 3:42, 5) 3:46, 6) 3:31 Average pace = 3:38/km
    Final kilometres; 1) 4:36, 2) 4:39
    I'd been dreading this session for a while and it went even worse than I had feared. I started from the NAC and ran uphill to Ballycoolin. The plan was to increase my pace throughout the opening 8km and turn around at that juncture. Then owing to clever planning, I'd have a mostly downhill six kilometres at tempo pace. Things went well for the first 2km of this stretch, but then I turned into a cnut of a headwind and experienced the ignominy of running the next kilometre split 20 seconds slower than had hoped to. It wasn't until the final kilometre, that the wind was at my back once more and I finished with a of 3:31; still off target, but not disastrously so.
    All in all, it was a disappointing run. I wonder if I built up the pace too quickly in the warm up. I'm also blaming the wind, but in reality I also know this alone doesn't account for the ridiculously slow pace I held between kilometres 3 and 5 of the tempo effort.
    Totals;
    Time: 1:03 - Distance: 16.00km

Wednesday 3rd January
    76.7kg

Medium Long Run - 24km
    24.00km in 1:46:13, 4:24/km
    After the threshold run yesterday, I spent the rest of the day getting a tattoo done on my upper arm. While that's still healing, I've been advised not to wear any skin tight clothing. So this rules out wearing a base layer, something I wear pretty much year round in Ireland, whatever the weather. So no way was I going to brave January temperatures without one. Given that, the only option open to me was to do this on a treadmill. It made for a pretty boring run, but watching some old races on my iPad provided some sort of distraction. I took a toilet break halfway through, as much to break up the monotony of what I was doing as any pressing urge to urinate.
    Totals;
    Time: 1:46 - Distance: 24.01km

Thursday 4th January
    76.2kg

Cross Trainer
    50 minutes easy
    Another 50 minute recovery "run" on the cross trainer. I hope to be running seven days a week soon enough, but it won't happen until I'm 110% certain I can handle it. Things are going well and the more of the plan I get through, the more confident I am that I'll get through it uninsured, but I'm not quite at that 110% level of certainty just yet.

Friday 5th January
    76.6kg

Recovery Run - 10km
    10.01km in 49:15, 4:55/km
    Due to a social engagement over the weekend, I had to swap around Saturday's and Sunday's runs. With Saturday's run now bring a marathon pace run, I wanted to give myself an easy day beforehand. So it meant doing a 10km recovery run, originally scheduled for Saturday, today.
    Totals;

Saturday 6th January
    76.0kg

Marathon Pace Run - 29km w. 16km @ Marathon Pace
    29.01km in 1:54:14, 3:57/km
    Warm up - Kilometre Splits; 1) 4:22, 2) 4:16, 3) 4:12, 4) 4:13, 5) 4:15, 6) 4:13, 7) 4:12, 8) 4:10, 9) 4:15, 10) 4:15, 11) 4:07, 12) 4:04, 13) 4:12,
    Marathon Pace; Kilometre splits; 1) 3:38, 2) 3:39, 3) 3:39, 4) 3:36, 5) 3:40, 6) 3:38, 7) 3:37, 8) 3:47, 9) 3:53, 10) 3:45, 11) 3:47, 12) 3:58,1 3) 3:51, 14) 3:51, 15) 3:51, 16) 3:44 Average pace = 3:45/km
    I've been trying to fight off a cough/sore throat for a few days and was over dosed on cough syrup and Lemsip starting this. I could partly blame that for my failure today or the whole nod I only noticed when I was running into it head on. But whatever the reason, I feel like I'm running out of time to get things right.
    Positives are despite my failings, I'm still running faster than I was in 2014 and today held my PMP for 7km. That's over 40% of the distance, so it's a pass if I look at it like that.
    When I got this much done, I thought there was a slim chance that I might manage to do the full 16km under target, but then 200m into the eighth kilometre, the gradient increased and my speed fell away. I got to the top of this drag, performed an about turn and hoped the fact that the gradient was now in my favour, would allow me rescue things. No such luck though and I struggled home never again coming near my PMP for any of the subsequent kilometres.
    Totals;
    Time: 1:54 - Distance: 29.01km

Sunday 7th January
    No weigh-in

Medium Long Run - 21km
    21.01km in 1:30:08, 4:18/km
    Just catching up with the week's work by doing Friday's postponed run today. Had yesterday's marathon pace run been a success, I might have allowed myself an easier target than my usual target of <4:24/km. As it was though, I felt I couldn't afford two days in a row not hitting my target, so however I felt, I was determined to run this at my usual long run pace. Whilst I was never in danger of going too slow, it could have felt easier. This was particularly true early on, but once I got into things, that feeling went.
    Totals;
    Time: 1:30 - Distance: 21.01km

Weekly Totals;
    Running: 8:25 - 116.04km

Cross training : 0:50 (50 minutes on cross trainer)
    S & C: 0:00

With both a lactate threshold and a marathon pace run, I knew this was going to be a testing week. Unfortunately, I didn't succeed in hitting my paces for either of those runs and the week feels like a failure. One positive I can draw from the two runs, is I don't feel like I failed as badly in the second one. Thankfully I've a recovery week coming up and I'm hoping this gives me adequate opportunity to recharge my batteries. And now that Christmas is officially over, I'm going to use it as the imprimatur to cut out eating crap and get serious about losing weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭S.L.F.

24km on a treadmill, fair play

• Advertisement

S.L.F. wrote: »
    24km on a treadmill, fair play

I'm well used to spending a lot longer on a turbo trainer, just staring at the wall. 24km on a treadmill isn't all that bad in comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭S.L.F.

I'm well used to spending a lot longer on a turbo trainer, just staring at the wall. 24km on a treadmill isn't all that bad in comparison.

I suppose whatever you're used to. I've never done more than 8 miles on a treadmill myself. I always find in the gym I overheat and am counting down the minutes and I'd be going a lot slower than yourself. There's no fans at the treadmills at all which is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭joey100

How you finding the training after getting the tattoo? I know after mine I'm always a bit run down, takes a while to get back to normal.

joey100 wrote: »
    How you finding the training after getting the tattoo? I know after mine I'm always a bit run down, takes a while to get back to normal.

I was feeling a bit run down at the weekend actually, but it didn't occur to me it could have been because of the tattoo. It'd be a convenient excuse for my subpar run on Saturday if it was. :pac: I hope it wasn't though as the tattoo is nowhere near finished. There's still over 10 hours of work of work left, so if the tattoo was the reason for me being run down, there might be a few more poor runs coming down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

if you do one of your 16k marathon pace runs again give me a shout.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't discount the effects of getting the tattoo. It can be fairly tough on the body even if the pain doesn't feel too bad. Over 10 hours left after one sitting already, that's going to be big! Might be just something to keep in mind when you are running after it.

peter kern wrote: »
    if you do one of your 16k marathon pace runs again give me a shout.

There are two more marathon runs coming up, but the distances are only going to get longer; 19km in 3½ weeks and then 23km on March 4th. The Phoenix Park will be more than likely be the venue and you're welcome to join me for one or both. But I hope I'll be lighter and faster for those than I was last Saturday and I won't be slowing down for you. ;)

On that; I can't make it this Sunday, but I intend to do all my Sunday morning long runs, for the next couple of months, in The Park. They won't always have marathon paced portions, but they'll be brisk enough for you.

I wouldn't discount the effects of getting the tattoo. It can be fairly tough on the body even if the pain doesn't feel too bad. Over 10 hours left after one sitting already, that's going to be big! Might be just something to keep in mind when you are running after it.

It's a half sleeve I'm getting done to cover up the snake on my upper arm. To work as a cover-up, I need the inner arm tattooed as well. So it's pretty big alright. I got the outlining done on the outer arm and a very small bit of colouring. It has a very unfinished look to it right now, so I will finish the colouring of what's been inked so far before moving onto the inner arm. Once I get that much colouring done, it will look a lot better, and I could leave it like that for another year, but the old tattoo will still be visible. So it won't be perfect and I'd like to get the whole piece finished sooner rather than later.

I understand what you're saying about the tattooing process itself taking a toll and I don't intend getting tattooed within two weeks of Rotterdam Marathon. Unfortunately, I don't have too many full days free between now and the Easter holidays, (which are also unfortunately the two weeks before Rotterdam), so it's going to probably mean multiple 2-3 hour sittings.

Needless to say, I'm trying to plan any tattooing around the marathon training. It's a small bit inconvenient, but it doesn't need to derail my preparations for Rotterdam either. Some training sessions might be impacted down the line, but life throws plenty of things at you for which the same can be said.

No doubt I'll continue to complain if I don't hit goal paces in training, but I do realise that the real value of doing any session is in running at the appropriate intensities for the appropriate length of time. Some days things will go well, and some days not so well. Last Saturday was simply one of those days that didn't go so well, but I'm confident the benefits of it will still stand to me.

Monday 8th January
    76.7kg

Cross Trainer
    55 minutes easy
    I added an extra 5 minutes to the usual 50 minutes I do to account for an extra kilometre in today's scheduled recovery run.

Tuesday 9th January
    76.0kg

General Aerobic Run - 16km w. 10 x 100m strides
    16.00km in 1:11:35, 4:28/km
    I started this in the NAC and did the bulk of it on the roads around Ballycoolin Industrial Estate, before returning to the NAC to do the strides towards the end of the run. It was very mild out and the wind was light, so I ditched the gilet I was wearing less than 10 minutes into proceedings.
    Totals;
    Time: 1:12 - Distance: 16.00km

Wednesday 10th January
    75.3kg

Medium Long Run - 21km
    21.01km in 1:30:01, 4:17/km
    My motivation to start was very low and I put it off again and again. I twice stopped for a p!ss and it took a lot to get going again. The enthusiasm simply wasn't there tonight. I don't know what was wrong. I'm getting through the program more or less on course, but I'd prefer if the training itself gave me more joy.
    Totals;

Thursday 11th January
    76.2kg

Cross Trainer
    50 minutes easy
    50 minutes easier in lieu of a 10km recovery run.

Friday 12th January
    76.2kg

General Aerobic Run - 16km
    16.01km in 1:11:26, 4:28/km
    I was aiming to keep the pace below 4:35/km tonight and this proved harder than it should have done for the first half hour or so. It did get easier, which I suppose is something positive.
    Totals;

Saturday 13th January
    75.0kg

Recovery Run - 10km
    10.00km in 50:26, 5:03/km
    Just a nice easy trot in The Phoenix Park and I stayed on grass for 90% of it. I'd say there isn't a square inch of the Park I haven't trodden, but I tried to visit the parts I've ran least.
    Totals;
    Time: 1:54 - Distance: 29.01km

Sunday 14th January
    74.8kg

Long Run - 26km
    26.01km in 1:30:08, 4:18/km
    I met a friend for this who also happens to be running in Rotterdam. Although he too is going to be following a plan from Pfitzinger and Douglas, unfortunately it's a shorter one than I am on and our runs aren't always going to match up. He's been a regular training partner for a good few years though and our long run paces are going to be similar, so we'll try meet up as often as is practical for our Sunday morning long run. It's good to have the company and it provides a social aspect to what for me is ordinarily a very solitary pastime.
    Totals;

Weekly Totals;
    Running: 6:33 - 89.03km

Cross training : 1:45 (50 minutes on cross trainer)
    S & C: 1:00 1 hour normal yoga; I'll get back to doing Bikram Yoga once I feel my tattoo is healed well enough not to be destroyed by the streams of sweat that will be pouring off me in the Bikram Yoga studio.

I was struggling with enthusiasm all week. The fact it was a recovery week probably meant I didn't treat the runs with the seriousness I might otherwise have done. I knew I was never really going to struggle with any of them, so I was missing that impending sense of failure that often helps me run fast. I'm back to bigger mileage next week, which includes a lactate threshold run, so that impending sense of doom is just around the corner.
    On a more positive note, I managed to resist the temptation to snack and my weight was going in the right direction all week. I'd a belated "Christmas" dinner with my brothers and mother on Sunday, which reversed the trend and I was a lot heavier heading to bed on Sunday than I was when I weighed myself in the morning. It was the first time we'd all been together for long time though and I'm not going to make a habit of stuffing myself every Sunday.
    Apart from that, I plan to run for 7 days a week this week and hopefully I handle the mileage without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

A pb is always good for lifting the spirits, make the training feel worthwhile, although that tray of cake you were carrying in Ashtown won’t be helping

rooneyjm wrote: »
    A pb is always good for lifting the spirits, make the training feel worthwhile, although that tray of cake you were carrying in Ashtown won’t be helping

Calling it a "tray of cake" would be a bit of an exaggeration, but I get your point. I'm trying to cut it out, but I'm not strong willed enough just yet to stomach grapefruit for breakfast.

Monday 15th January
    No weigh in

Recovery Run
    10.00km in 50:06, 5:00/km
    I should have done two recovery runs today, but the commute today was from Roscrea to Dublin, and after that drive, I was in no mood for a run and decided to do the evening run tomorrow morning instead.
    Totals;
    Time: 0:50 - Distance: 10.00km

Tuesday 16th January
    75.7kg

Recovery Run - 6km
    6.00km in 31:56, 5:19/km
    This was the second recovery run that I should have been done yesterday, but even though I didn't get the two runs done when I was supposed to, at least I've maintained the correct order.
    Totals;
    Time: 0:32 - Distance: 6.00km

Lactate Threshold Run - 18kmw. 8km at threshold pace
    7km warm up, w. 6 x 10" at 20.0km/hr,
    8km at 3:29/km,
    3km cool down
    The weather was horrendous and although I might have been prepared to go out in snow and driving wind if it was just a regular run-of-the-mill run, I wasn't tackling a lactate threshold session in such conditions. Consequently, I opted to do this on a treadmill. The pace was much, much easier to hold than it would have been on the road. Wishful thinking would have me believe it was because I'm getting fitter, but the more likely explanation is no air resistance, a poorly calibrated treadmill, or perhaps a bit of both. As I hadn't came prepared for a treadmill run, I had to wear a regular sleeved T-shirt instead of a singlet and I was getting uncomfortably hot. The tiny fans on the treadmills don't provide much of a cooling effect and I'd been fearing my ill suited clothing was going to be my undoing. But it turned out to be much easier than I had expected and although the 8km at threshold was a very qualified success, I finished feeling better about my current state of fitness than I did at the start.
    Totals;
    Time: 1:15 - Distance: 18.00km

Wednesday 17th January
    75.0kg

Medium Long Run - 24km
    24.03km in 1:42:47, 4:17/km
    I ate way too close to this run and felt pretty crappy at the start. This went away after a few kilometres, but it served as a useful reminder that running with a full stomach is never the brightest idea.
    I was well wrapped up and didn't feel the cold, but it was a wet night and there wasn't much I could do to protect myself against that. That doesn't really bother me, but it did cause my glasses to fog up and I had to return to my car half way through, to put in a pair of contacts. Apart from that, it was uneventful and another run in the plan successfully ticked off.
    Totals;
    Time: 1:43 - Distance: 24.03km

Thursday 18th January
    75.7kg

Recovery Run
    11.00km at 4:48/km
    I was hoping to be in getting tattooed this evening (this didn't happen in the end), but I didn't know for sure when I woke up. So I had to get the run out of the way early morning. The weather wasn't great, so I did this on a treadmill before work. It's hard to stave off the boredom when just running at the same pace on a treadmill, but it was good to get it done and not have to think about it for the rest of the day.
    Totals;
    Time: 0:53 - Distance: 11.00km

Friday 19th January
    76.2kg

Nothing; Obviously in a 7 day a week running program, this wasn't in the plan. But I'd a social engagement on tonight that I couldn't or didn't want to get out of. I'd planned on gong to the NAC after work and running from there. When I got there though, I found out to my dismay that I'd forgotten the bag I'd packed in the morning, with all my running gear in it. Driving home and back into Blanchardstown for the aforementioned social engagement, was going to deprive me of one hour and at this stage even swapping around today's and tomorrow's runs would have had me under pressure to make it to the meal on time. It got to the point, where I just thought "Fnck it!" and scrapped the idea of getting any sort of run done today, with the intention of cramming both runs in tomorrow.

Saturday 20th January
    76.7kg

Medium Long Run - 21km
    21.01km in 1:29:30, 4:16/km
    I was doing yesterday's medium long run and set off with the intention of still doing the scheduled 13km general aerobic run today as well. I started as early as a sufficient night's sleep and my procrastinating nature allowed, which turned out to be a not so early 11:17 a.m. After a cup of coffee and no breakfast, I finally made it out my front door. I simply ran 10.5km, performed a U-turn and ran the same 10.5km stretch of road home. It's always my hope to run each and every single kilometre in the plan at my target pace, which for this run was 4:02-4:24/km. I generally look at my Garmin on a fairly consistent basis to ensure I'm doing this, but completely zoned out during the ninth kilometre and it was only when it beeped at the end of that kilometre, did my focus return. I was disappointed to see a time of 4:27 flash on the screen, but it at least helped me concentrate on the job in hand and a too "slow" kilometre never happened again.
    Totals;

General Aerobic Run - 13km w. 10 x 100m strides
    13.01km in 57:40, 4:26/km
    After failing to get a run in yesterday, the most sensible thing to do might have been to just have forgotten about it and do the rest of the prescribed training for the week. I don't always take the sensible approach to training though and I felt it more important to get all the weekly runs done. I've been targetting this week for a while as the first time I would commit to doing all the weekly runs, and not getting them done would have felt like failure.
    Totals;
    Time: 0:58 - Distance: 13.01km

Sunday 21st January
    76.2kg

Long Run - 32km
    32.01km in 2:14:23, 4:12/km
    After squeezing two days' running into one yesterday, I wasn't sure how today's run was going to go and I was fearful the requisite pace might prove hard to hit. I started with two friends, so that helped me find my groove. We were moving a little bit faster than I had planned, but it was no harm either, as I don't feel I'm spending long enough running at the upper end of my long run pace scale. This might have been another run at the slower end of my pace scale had I not had company. One of my companions split after 11km and the other left me after 20km. This left me with 12km to do on my own, but I'd locked into the pace by then, and I was able to finish things off without difficulty.
    There had been a lot of rainfall in the previous 24 hours and the grass was too soggy to run on. This scuppered my plans to run the majority of the 32km on grass, so it now means I've ran 66km all on road in less than 24 hours. On account of this, I won't take any chances with tomorrow's recovery runs and both shall be substituted with sessions on the cross trainer.
    Totals;
    Time: 2:14 - Distance: 32.01km

Weekly Totals;
    Running: 9:55 - 135.06km

Cross training : 0:00 7 days a week running and I'm still not back swimming means zero hours here.
    S & C: 2:50 1 hour yoga and two weights workouts in the gym

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Any races planned before Rotterdam?

OOnegative wrote: »
    Any races planned before Rotterdam?

There are three tune-up races in the plan; February 24th, March 10th & March 24th; which are all Saturdays. I haven't looked too closely at any Irish race calendar yet, but I doubt I'll find any races that fall so conveniently. So I'm probably looking at Sunday races on each of those weekends.
    The Dunboyne 4 Mile is on the Sunday of the third weekend, so I'll more than likely be in for that. If I can't find anything within short driving distance from Dublin, or Roscrea, then I might just go along to a Parkrun and do it twice. At the pace I'll be running, I still wouldn't be last and I can't imagine it being a problem.

Monday 22nd January
    77.0kg
    a.m.
    Cross Trainer
    50 minutes on cross trainer; easy effort

p.m.
    30 minutes on cross trainer; easy effort

Just to be on the safe side, I substituted both recovery runs scheduled for today with stints on the cross trainer; 50 minutes easy instead a 10km run, and 30 minutes easy instead of 6km run.

Tuesday 23rd January
    76.5kg

General Aerobic Run - 14km
    14.01km in 1:02:06, 4:26/km
    I set off thinking this was a very short run, which I hope means a positive mindset is starting to return. But in all honesty, it was a very short run and once I start having similar feelings about my midweek medium long runs, I'll know the proper mindset will be well and truly back.
    I drove to the Phoenix Park and did 60% of the total distance on grass. It was slippy and mucky in parts and it was also dark when I was running. These three things weren't a great combination and there were one or two hairy moments when my legs were starting to go from under me.
    Apart from that, I got through the 14km without issue. The opening 2km might have been a bit too close to the 4:35/km cap I've placed on my desired pace for these runs, but I wasn't under any great pressure to get them under target and from there, I managed the remaining 12km quite comfortably.
    Totals;
    Time: 1:02 - Distance: 14.01km

Wednesday 24th January
    75.4kg

Medium Long Run - 24km
    24.01km in 1:42:38, 4:16/km
    I went to the Phoenix Park for this, hoping to get as much of it done on grass as possible. The grass was waterlogged though and in the circumstances, running on it wasn't possible. My pace was okay and while things are getting easier, I'm hoping it gets even easier still and I'll soon be able to run24km without it knocking a feather out of me.
    I was wearing Hoka One One Clifton 4 runners, which I bought at the start of December. When I first wore them, they caused blistering on both my insteps and it happened again tonight. I haven't done a huge amount of running in them, but I thought I'd done enough to have them worn in by now. This clearly wasn't the case, but 24km is the longest I've ran in them by quite some distance. I might just use them for shorter runs, as I do find the cushioning very good and my fear of picking up a stress fracture has significantly reduced since I bought them.
    Totals;
    Time: 1:43 - Distance: 24.01km

Thursday 25th January
    74.3kg

Recovery Run
    11.01km in 57:53, 5:16/km
    I was going to be busy in the evening, so I got this done before work. I started slow and while I was never running fast, I got less slow as the run progressed.
    Totals;
    Time: 0:58 - Distance: 11.01km

Friday 26th January
    75.5kg

Lactate Threshold Run - 19km w. 10km at threshold pace
    6.5km warm up, w. 6 x 10" at 20.0km/hr,
    10km at 3:28/km,
    2.5km cool down
    I was in getting my upper arm tattooed yesterday evening and as the friction caused by any clothing I'd have to wear might damage the tattoo, it meant wearing a singlet for today's runwas the only option. It if was 20° warmer, I'd have been prepared to go outside dressed like this, but as it was January, the treadmill won out. It felt slightly harder than the last time I did a threshold run on the treadmill, but it was still way easier than I'd expect doing it outdoors would have been; so easy that I suspect I might not be getting the required benefits that these runs are meant to provide. The next and final threshold run is in two weeks and whatever life throws at me that week, I'll be outdoors for it. I won't say my whole ambitions for running sub 2:35 in Rotterdam, hinge upon that one run, but I'll be a lot more confident about doing so if I mange to hold the <3:30/km pace for the prescribed 19km.
    Totals;
    Time: 1:17 - Distance: 19.00km

Saturday 27th January
    75.5kg

Recovery Run - 11km
    Treadmill; 11.03km at 5:00/km
    A slow and boring 11km on the treadmill; no more to be said.
    Totals;
    Time: 0:55 - Distance: 11.03km

Sunday 28th January
    74.5kg

Long Run - 35km
    35.01km in 2:25:12, 4:09/km
    This was the best I felt for a long run so far in the training block. I didn't think I was pushing overly hard either, so it was nice to also finish with the fastest average pace I've managed yet on a long run. I ran three separate kilometres in under 4 minutes, which included the final 2km. To be able to do that, means I'm obviously not emptying the tank. That's a pleasing thought on and hopefully I'll finish next week's long run, with 19km at my hoped for race pace, equally pleased.
    Totals;
    Time: 2:25 - Distance: 35.00km

Weekly Totals;
    Running: 8:20 - 135.06km

Cross training : 2:55 Two short sessions on the cross trainer and I managed to fit in three vistits to the pool.
    S & C: 1:00 1 hour yoga

As I was back in getting tattooed on Thursday, it's means the end of any swimming for another couple of weeks, which is an unfortunate consequence of getting tattooed, as swimming is very useful cross training, that was helping shift weight. It has zero impact and unlike cycling, I wouldn't be risking any injury by engaging in it. And seeing as I mentioned weight, mine is nowhere I'd like it to be. I'm confident now that I'll get through the training uninjured, and my weight is going to be the single biggest factor in whether or not I manage to run a PB in Rotterdam. I'll need to resort to some drastic measures if I'm not consistently weighing in under 74kg pretty soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

I was wearing Hoka One One Clifton 4 runners, which I bought at the start of December. When I first wore them, they caused blistering on both my insteps and it happened again tonight. I haven't done a huge amount of running in them, but I thought I'd done enough to have them worn in by now. This clearly wasn't the case, but 24km is the longest I've ran in them by quite some distance. I might just use them for shorter runs, as I do find the cushioning very good and my fear of picking up a stress fracture has significantly reduced since I bought them.

I'd a similar experience with the Hoka One One Challenger ATR 3 (trail runners). Had done plenty of medium long runs in them but they destroyed my insteps with blisters during an ultra in December. Haven't been able to look at them since.

Is your tattoo finished? and what did you get? Something you designed yourself?

Neady83 wrote: »
    I'd a similar experience with the Hoka One One Challenger ATR 3 (trail runners). Had done plenty of medium long runs in them but they destroyed my insteps with blisters during an ultra in December. Haven't been able to look at them since.

Is your tattoo finished? and what did you get? Something you designed yourself?

I actually have a pair of Challenger ATR 3 as well. I haven't found them as bad for blistering as the Clifton 4 runners. The ATRs have had more use than the regular Hoka runners, so perhaps they're just better worn in. I also only ever wear them when running on grass, so maybe the softer underfoot conditions are a factor in not getting blisters. I'm happy enough to hang onto and use both pairs for shorter runs, but I can't see myself wearing either pair for any long runs.

The tattoo isn't finished, it isn't even near finished in fact. It's a cover up for a snake I had on my upper arm. The finished piece is going to completely wrap around both my inner and outer arm. So far, I've just got the outlining and a small bit of colouring done on the outer arm. There's still a lot of work left and at the current rate of progress, I'll be glad if it's fully finished before Rotterdam.
    It's a underwater collage of tropical marine life, with a turtle as the 'centrepiece'. The turtle is to remind me that I need to go back to Hawaii someday and make up for my substandard performance there last October. And if I lose my appetite for Ironman, I'll just tell people that I really like scuba diving.

Monday 29th January
    No weigh-in

a.m.
    Cross Trainer
    55 minutes on cross trainer; easy effort
    I thought I was meant to be doing an 11km recovery run, so I added an extra 5 minutes to my usual 50. It was only afterwards that I discovered it was a 10km run in the plan, so 5 minutes of my day were wasted.

p.m.
    30 minutes on treadmill at 5:00/km
    There was no real reasoning behind doing this on the treadmill, other than it seemed like a good idea at the time. I don't attach too much importance to these recovery runs, so it was just a case of getting it done.
    Totals;
    Time: 0:30 - Distance: 6.00km

Tuesday 30th January
    75.6kg

14.01km in 1:00:32, 4:19/km
    I did this before work and was running towards the faster end of my aerobic pace range. This was as much to do with making sure I wasn't late for work, as any great desire to be running 'fast'. Like most of my runs recently, I was getting faster for no extra effort, the longer I ran. There was one kilometre I did in 4:13, which was 2 seconds per kilometre quicker than I wanted, but I was working no harder than I had been for any other split. It bodes well for what's ahead, I hope.
    Totals;
    Time: 1:01 - Distance: 14.01km

Wednesday 31st January
    75.6kg

Medium Long Run - 24km
    24.01km in 1:43:11, 4:18/km
    I wanted to hold my pace between 4:20-4:24/km, but it wasn't proving to be so easy in the opening stages. I had to push harder than I would have liked, to finish a few of these initial kilometres under target. While I wasn't struggling, I never felt like I could simply relax into things. In my defence though, it was a pretty miserable night. Although I escaped any of the heavy showers of snow, that had fallen earlier in the evening, I was still dealing with cold and windy conditions, and the kilometres I was close to missing my target for, were all into a headwind. Then without killing myself, I was still able to salvage them. There's much harder work coming up, but I was well able for what was required tonight, and that's always enough.
    Totals;
    Time: 1:43 - Distance: 24.01km

Thursday 1st February
    75.1kg

Recovery Run - 13km
    13.01km in 1:03:29, 4:52/km
    At 6 p.m., I was driving to the NAC, to do this on the treadmill. I wasn't exactly relishing the prospect, when it occurred to me that the treadmill would automatically stop after 1 hour. At the pace I going to run, this would mean I'd be a kilometre short, and I'd have to restart the treadmill for the sake of five more minutes. This was enough to change my mind and I drove on by the gates of the NAC, and continued on to Ratoath, where I did the run on the road. It was late when I started, but I was much happier out in the fresh air, than I would have been in the gym.
    Apart from that backstory, the run itself went well and I finished with a better average pace, than I have been holding for my recovery runs of late. Without any extra effort, I ran several of the kilometres quicker than 4:48. This was my projected marathon pace plus 20% the last time I followed this P & D plan. Come race day in 2014, it turned out to be a bit too soft. But it's good to know that what I adjudged to be "working" 4 years ago, felt so easy tonight.
    Totals;
    Time: 1:03 - Distance: 13.01km

Friday 2nd February
    74.4kg

Medium Long Run - 21km
    21.00km in 1:30:09, 4:18/km
    I was hoping for an effortless run tonight. It was like this some of the time, but not often enough for my liking. Rotterdam is getting closer and closer, and halfway through the 18 week plan, I'd love to be running faster for the effort I was putting in. Still, I felt a lot more comfortable tonight, than I felt for the first medium long run I did in December.
    Totals;
    Time: 1:30 - Distance: 21.00km

Saturday 27th January
    73.8kg

Recovery Run - 11km w. 6 x 100m strides
    11.00km at 54:44/km
    Bar my customary morning coffee, this was done on empty; 15 hours into a 16 hour fast. It would be silly to get too carried away with anything done in a recovery run, but I felt good for the strides and was hitting speeds I don't remember hitting for a long time. Perhaps even more importantly and a sure sign that fitness is returning, I recovered quickly from all of them.
    Totals;
    Time: 0:55 - Distance: 11.03km

Sunday 3rd February
    74.5kg

Long Run - 29km w. 19km at MP(<3:40/km)
    29.01km in 1:50:22, 3:48/km
    Splits;
    Warm up: 8.00km in 30:08, 4:18/km,
    MP KM times: 1) 3:30, 2) 3:32, 3) 3:29, 4) 3:28, 5) 3:32, 6) 3:35, 7) 3:33, 8) 3:36, 9) 3:29, 10) 3:35, 11) 3:32, 12) 3:33, 13) 3:38, 14) 3:34, 15) 3:34, 16) 3:38, 17) 3:33, t18) 3:36, 19) 3:35 Average pace = 3:33/km,
    Finish: 2km in 8:22, 4:11/km
    As usual, I went to the Phoenix Park for my Sunday morning long run.
    For the 19km at race pace, it was my plan to simply do lap after lap of the Playing Fields, until I was finished. At just over 2½km, this meant nearly eight laps in total, which I know sounds like a long and boring run. But if I could hold my hoped for pace, the sense of satisfaction I'd get, would be enough to keep such negative thoughts at day. Unlike my previous marathon paced run, which was a major disappointment, I was quietly confident of getting the job done today. This was partly due to the bit of weight I've managed to shed in the intervening period, but it's mainly due to the fact that I've been running better of late. Thankfully the confidence I had beforehand proved to be well founded, and I was surprised how easily the sub 3:40/km pace came to me.
    The corresponding run in my preparations 4 years ago, yielded an average pace of 3:52/km. Come race day, I ended up running significantly quicker than this in horrible conditions in Connemara. Even repeating the 3:33/km pace I held today, on a much easier course, in 9 weeks would be enough for sub 2:30. I'll still do my marathon paced runs with a target pace of <3:40/km, but with 9 weeks still to go, I hope there are further improvements still to come.
    At no point in today's run, did I think the pace was unsustainable and had it been called for, I'm confident I could have held it for a while longer. Ultimately though, I was happy with what I had did today. I finally feel like I am ready to attempt a marathon PB. I've made hard work of getting here and hopefully I won't f*ck things up from here.
    Totals;
    Time: 1:50 - Distance: 29.01km

Weekly Totals;
    Running: 8:32 - 118.04km

Cross training : 0:55
    S & C: 1:40

There's probably a bit too much triumphalism in my account of Sunday's run, but I'm not going to get carried away with things. There'll likely be plenty more moments of self doubt between now and April 8th, but 17km into the 19km MP effort on Sunday, was the first time since starting the plan, that I truly believed sub 2:35 in Rotterdam is achievable. I've been busy with triathlon training for the last four years, but I've never since came close to replicating my performance in Connemarathon 2014. It's been hard not to have to have doubts that my time that day, might just be my lifetime best for the marathon, but I think I've turned a corner now.

Lastly, I'd set myself a goal weight of sub 74kg, by the end of January. As it was obvious I wasn't going to get there, I had to implement the drastic measures I alluded to in last week's update. This consisted of four 16 hour fasts on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday night. Although I saw 73.8kg on the scales Saturday morning, I'm fully aware it's not going to stay there without continued discipline. Four 16 hour fasts, over four consecutive days, was a bit extreme. It's something I'd never done before, but sometimes needs must. I hope I don't have to resort to these measures too often, but I still feel like I need to get to 70/71kg and there's a bit to go yet, so there might be a few more hungry days ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Back when I was 70kg, I always had Ironman racing at the back of my mind (It's still there, btw.) and I thought sub 70kg was too light. I got cold swimming in the pool at this weight. I was also finding it hard to get under 70kg and I just gave up on the target. But that's not to say anything less than 70kg would be a dangerous weight for me. It's just the difficulty I had in getting there that means I won't set it as a target now. I think if I get really serious about marathon running though, I'll just have to endure the hardships and do what it takes to get to this weight.
    Hi zico, just seeing this thread now so best of luck with the training, and apologies for jumping in late on the weight discussion. I was just under 70kgs for Rotterdam last year, for a similar height to your own. I got a body-pod analysis done in UCD at the time, which gave me a BF% of 5%, which was momentarily disturbing. Not entirely convinced about the accuracy of the bodypod (all of the required calibration steps were duly performed), but what it meant was that I wouldn't have much opportunity to drop the weight significantly below 69.5kgs, to realize additional gains in the future, as that would mean dropping the bodyfat lower than 5% (which would be considered unhealthy). The thing is, after giving up the booze and focusing on eating healthy, the mileage did the rest. I was probably eating more than I ordinarily would.

This time around, I won't specifically be aiming for a target weight, but would imagine that with similar practice, it'll be somewhere around 69-70kgs, and as long as I'm not restricting my calorie intake (e.g. dieting in the traditional sense), I know that the weight is finding it's natural level, and I'm not going to worry about it unduly. Might get another bodypod scan, just from a curiosity perspective. Did you have any body-fat measurements done when you were 70kgs?

Did you have any body-fat measurements done when you were 70kgs?

No, I didn't have anything like that done. I was just periodically weighing myself on a digital scales. I don't plan on doing body fat measurements this time either. When I can see my abs and veins on my arms, I'll know I'm close to racing weight. I also know from being at 70.something previously, it's not a dangerous target for me. I'd agree that severe calorie restriction is not the ideal way to go about weight loss, but I've let myself get too heavy and that's the only way out of the state I'm in.

I don't know what would be a dangerous target weight for me, to be honest, but it always strikes me that people who run faster than me are invariably skinnier and lighter than me. I'm not for one second underestimating the training you've done, but you're a case in point of my maxim that lighter equates to being faster. And if I do ever want to match your times, I don't believe I'm going to run them at what I currently deem to be my racing weight. Getting to such a weight might very well be a natural byproduct of the extra miles I'd have to do, but that doesn't change the fact that 70kg+ guys running sub 2:30 marathons are few and far between.

I know I go on about my weight a lot, (This is as much about giving voice to my own inner monologue, as anything else. If anybody feels like chiming in though, have at it. I won't take any offence.), and it probably gets tiresome for anyone reading. But my slow drop off in weight since I started logging here, should tell you I'm not treating it as seriously as I pretend to.

There's usually a point in my preparations for goal race when the alarm bells go off. Rotterdam is exactly 2 months from today and that still hasn't triggered them. I'm due to do a tune-up race on 25th February and I hope the bells sound before then. I want to be waking up less than 72.5kg that Sunday morning and if I can do that, I'll be at the point you are in not being unduly worried about my weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

It's a underwater collage of tropical marine life, with a turtle as the 'centrepiece'. The turtle is to remind me that I need to go back to Hawaii someday and make up for my substandard performance there last October. And if I lose my appetite for Ironman, I'll just tell people that I really like scuba diving.

I love it, much more imaginative than an i :)

You reminded me of Yoshi, a loggerhead Turtle that made quite an impression on me when I saw her in SA way back when. They're incredibly graceful animals and I can't help but think that they're very wise.

My god, you're incredibly disciplined with your training and your weight targets.

What height are you Zico? I wouldn't have said you look like you needed to lose weight, but your broad enough so that might be more the challenge in losing the weight, body size/style rather than fat. I would tend to agree with you though and say lighter is better, I think most are fair bit away from having to worry about being too light.

Monday 5th February
    75.0kg
    a.m.
    Recovery Run - 6km
    6.01km in 32:56, 5:29/km
    There were two recovery runs scheduled for today; 10km in the morning and 6km in the evening. The run I did now should have been done in the p.m., but I could't see what difference it would have made doing it in the morning. Plus running 6km instead of 10km meant an extra 20 minutes in bed.
    Totals;
    Time: 0:33 - Distance: 6.01km

p.m.
    50 minutes on cross trainer, easy effort
    This was done at a very easy effort. I said at the start of this log, it was my intention to be doing every single run in the program come the end of January. I've since changed my mind and realised that it's far more important I don't get injured between now and Rotterdam. It has been by training sensibly and not running 7 days a week, that I've made it through the first half of the program still fighting fit. I'm not going to jeopardise anything by forgetting what it is that got me here. If that means substituting the odd recovery run with some cross training, then so be it.

Tuesday 6th February
    75.0kg

14.01km in 1:02:21, 4:27/km
    I planned to do this on the road, but it was colder than I was expecting and after only a few steps, I decided the risk of slipping on a patch of ice was too great and I changed my mind. I drove to Fairyhouse, with the intention of running on the grass. The paths there turned out to be bone dry. This was in stark contrast to the roads outside and it almost felt like Fairyhouse existed in its own microclimate . It was dark and I decided running on the path was safer than running on the grass, so that's what I did. The loop I was running was just under 3km, but because it was dark and unlit, I couldn't see anything, so I avoided the dreary feeling of repetitiveness that might normally go with run of such nature.
    Totals;
    Time: 1:03 - Distance: 14.01km

Wednesday 7th February
    75.6kg

VO2 Max Run - 14km w. 6 x 800m @ 5k race pace
    28 minutes warm up + drills,
    800m Intervals (w. 400m recoveries);
    1) 2:35, 3:14/km, 2) 2:37, 3:14/km, 3) 2:38, 3:18/km, 4) 2:38, 3:18/km, 5) 2:39, 3:19/km, 6) 2:38, 3:18/km
    Totals) 4,800m in 15:45, 3:17/km

14 minutes cool down
    Full members of the NAC are able to use the facilities in the NSC, while the changing rooms in the NAC are being refurbished. These refurbishments have been ongoing since October, but despite this, I had never availed of the opportunity we had to run on the indoor track in the NSC. The weather was pretty lousy tonight and I didn't fancy doing intervals in such conditions. It only occurred to me on the way to the NAC, to get kitted out for the aforementioned misery, that it would make more sense to do the run indoors, safe from the elements.
    After making enquiries at the NSC's front desk, I found out the track would be available to use from 6 p.m. It was only half 4 at this point, but I was happy to wait and killed the time by having a cup of coffee and typing up some of this weekly log update.
    When 6 o'clock came and I was inside the indoor arena, I became a bit weary about doing the session here, as I was going to have to share the 200m track with 30 kids from a local athletics club. I'd a chat with their coach though and he assured me there would be no problem with us both using the track for our separate sessions. Thankfully things went as smoothly as the coach had predicted and I was able to stay in the inside lane for 99% of the combined 4,800m I had to do.
    Starting off, I wanted to run these at an intensity I could conceivably hold for a 5k race. I didn't really know what pace this would yield, so it was really just a case of doing the first 800m rep and hoping the rest of them ended up being similar. There was a 4 second difference from fastest rep to slowest, but I think this was mainly due to my watch not beginning to record the time until a couple of seconds after I pressed start. After that, I just let the watch run until the end of my hour and as far as I can recall, I ran each 200m lap in 38/39 seconds. The speed wasn't what I would have hoped for, but at least I showed consistency and the main thing about these sessions is that I run them at the right intensity. If I can mange that, everything else should fall into place.
    Totals;
    Time: 1:05 - Distance: 14.00km

Thursday 8th February
    74.0kg

p.m.
    55 minutes on cross trainer, easy effort

Friday 9th February
    74.7kg

a.m.
    Recovery Run - 6km
    6.01km in 31:24, 5:14/km
    This should have been done in the evening, and an 18km run done in the morning, but as it was a lot more practical to do the longer run in the evening, that's the decision I took. The roads were icy around Ratoath, so I decided to drive to Porterstown Park, where I'd be a lot safer running on the grass. It meant not being able to shower after the run, but better that, than ending up with a broken wrist from a fall.
    Totals;
    Time: 0:31 - Distance: 6.01km

p.m.
    Medium Long Run - 18km
    18.01km in 1:17:11, 4:17/km
    I did this late in the evening, in the Phoenix Park and stuck to grass for 90% of the run. The pace is starting to feel easier, which I hope is a trend that continues.
    Totals;
    Time: 1:17 - Distance: 18.01km

Saturday 10th February
    73.6kg

General Aerobic Run + speed - 13km w. 10 x 100m strides
    13.10km in 55:27, 4:16/km
    The plan was to get this over early and have the end of the run coincide with the end of another 16 hour fast. The plan was to run 6km out my door, turn around, start the 100m strides after 10km, be finished all ten strides by 12km, and go back to running at my general aerobic pace for the final kilometre.
    I was dressed for cold weather, but it turned out to be a relatively pleasant morning and it wasn't long before I felt the disadvantages of the extra layers I was wearing. Unless I turned around and ran back home to shed the layers, there wasn't much I could do about things, so I just carried on whilst tolerating the inconvenience of being overdressed.
    I thought I was moving well, and according to Garmin Connect, my top speed today was 11 seconds per kilometres quicker than my top speed for the strides last Saturday. It's hard to fully trust the accuracy of GPS over such short distances, but it makes better reading than being told I was 11 seconds per kilometre slower. I was taking 100m recovery between the efforts. My breathing hadn't still fallen to a level I would have considered comfortable. I could have done with a bit more than 100m recovering, but this was my original plan, so I just stuck with that.
    Totals;
    Time: 0:55 - Distance: 13.01km

Sunday 11th February
    74.1kg

Long Run - 26km
    26.05km in 1:49:37, 4:12/km
    As usual, I was in the Phoenix Park for this. The wind was fairly strong today and I did my best to avoid running straight into it for too long. Obviously this wasn't always possible, and I'd up the effort a little bit to keep the pace where I wanted it. While this was manageable, it never felt like a piece of p!ss and I'm getting that close to the marathon, I'd prefer if it did.
    Totals;
    Time: 1:50 - Distance: 26.05km

Weekly Totals;
    Running: 7:13 - 97.10km

Cross training : 1:45
    S & C: 1:00 1 hour yoga

This was the first week in the plan where I encountered any speed work. So far it's been useful having my old log from 4 years ago to look back upon and use as a gauge of my progress. The paces I'm running this time round are faster, which should obviously be a good thing, but going on the brief descriptions I wrote back then, I seem to have to work harder for them. Had I done Wednesday's intervals outdoors, it would have given me a much better basis for comparison than any of the other runs I've been looking at. Having never ran indoors before, I don't really know what a 3:17/km average really means. From next week onwards though, there's going to be one VO2 max session a week and they'll give a clearer picture of where exactly I'm at.

Neady83 wrote: »
    You reminded me of Yoshi, a loggerhead Turtle that made quite an impression on me when I saw her in SA way back when. They're incredibly graceful animals and I can't help but think that they're very wise.

By that, I'll take it you mean I'm very wise as well. :)
    I just googled 'Yoshi loggerhead turtle': It's an interesting story, but it's sad to think not all turtles in the wild are doing so well.
    Anyway, there's also a jellyfish in the tattoo, one of the most stupid and pointless creatures I can think of, so I wouldn't necessarily read too much into any tattoo I have, am getting, or will get.
    My god, you're incredibly disciplined with your training and your weight targets.

Setting targets is the easy bit, if I do manage to get under 71kg by April, I might accept the plaudits, but right now, I don't think I'm doing anything hugely impressive. Likewise with the training; If you followed me for 24 hours, half the time, you'd wonder 'What the f*ck is he up to?' I procrastinate like there's no tomorrow and honestly spend longer thinking about going for a run than I do actually running.

• Advertisement

What height are you Zico? I wouldn't have said you look like you needed to lose weight, but your broad enough so that might be more the challenge in losing the weight, body size/style rather than fat. I would tend to agree with you though and say lighter is better, I think most are fair bit away from having to worry about being too light.

182cm

Sadly, it's what the scales say, that tell me I need to lose weight. Two days before I flew to Rotterdam last April, I was 71.1kg. And I'm certain I was lighter than that for Connemarathon 2014. I didn't die either time, and I haven't exactly been packing on muscle either, so there has to be weight somewhere I can afford to lose. 'Eat less, train more!' is generally a mantra that serves me well. But I'm neither biking, nor swimming these days, so training more isn't going to happen. That simply means 'eat less' is the only option open to me. My weight is slowly dropping and I don't think anything I am doing is risky. If anything, it's the overeating I've done since Kona, that was dangerous.

Advertisement