Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Great Cadbury large selection box swindle

Options
  • 30-12-2017 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

First off let me say that Cadbury’s medium selection box was fantastic value this year with most stores selling 3 for €5.

Their large selection box however was a con. Tesco were selling 2 for €8 and they were basically the exact same as the medium box?! Both had 6 bars and only real difference was a larger Dairy milk bar. They even had the gall to include a single finger twirl despite a pic of 2 finger Twirl on box.

I haven’t seen or heard anywhere else any talk about this. Guess I’m still living in recessionary state of mind 😂

I even took took a pic!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Patww79 wrote: »

I’m guessing no one bought the larger boxes except the likes of silly me because the medium box offer was so good?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I blame Wagon Wheels. When they reduced them to the equivalent of front tractor wheels the rot set in. Now everyone's packing less in and usually play the "it's healthier to eat less chocolate" card when challenged

If everyone does boycott them all we will all be healthier anyway :)

Alas I'm not going to be leading the charge on this one...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Patww79 wrote: »
    It's like the roses tins. Only way to stop it is of everyone stops buying them altogether.

Yeah after this year we will never be buying roses again. Quality street and lindor are the way to go from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

I refused to buy roses after last year. I thought the quality of the chocolate was horrendous. Tasted like scottbar cooking chocolate. Quality street all the way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jeju

And when you try to sneekly take a roses out of the plastic container, it makes a loud ckkkkkklunk noise that alerts everyone to your mission

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

The small bars of dairy milk are much nicer anyway. You were conned into buying the large.

Pic really shows how small the bars are nowadays too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Jeju wrote: »
    And when you try to sneekly take a roses out of the plastic container, it makes a loud ckkkkkklunk noise that alerts everyone to your mission

A well orchestrated coughing fit usually solves that barrier :D:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

The smaller one was definitely better! It has buttons and the skinny dairy milk bar.

I miss curly wurlys and fudges though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,185 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Who remembers these?

xm08.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I do. That’s a proper selection box.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Who remembers these?
    They have these on sale on their website

Priced at £15, but I reckon I picked 4 of them up from their clearance shop in the Lowry Centre, Manchester last year for about half that price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

ahayes84 wrote: »
    I refused to buy roses after last year. I thought the quality of the chocolate was horrendous. Tasted like scottbar cooking chocolate. Quality street all the way!

Cooking chocolate, thats it you're right. I couldnt put my finger on the manky taste

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

My late uncle used to get us all one of those huge selection boxes and stick a fiver in the top of it. Great memories! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

There's more plastic in those selection boxes than chocolate. Mondelz has ruined it !

Kraft was the worst thing to ever happen to Cadbury

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

I don’t buy Cadbury’s chocolate since kraft took over, because it tastes like dirt! It’s the awful greasy fatty taste that American chocolate has, not the creaminess it used to have years ago.
    We got presents of roses and other Cadbury’s chocolate and they are awful.
    I stick to good quality chocolate now if I’m going to have it.

Cherrycola wrote: »
    I don’t buy Cadbury’s chocolate since kraft took over, because it tastes like dirt! It’s the awful greasy fatty taste that American chocolate has, not the creaminess it used to have years ago.
    We got presents of roses and other Cadbury’s chocolate and they are awful.
    I stick to good quality chocolate now if I’m going to have it.

Same. Lindor is my favourite now. It’s so expensive but so worth it. Nestle is actually alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

A Cadbury’s twirl is as nice now nearly as it ever was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Not a fan of terrorism, but retaliation is fair right... Anybody got the HQ address of Mondelēz International.

If it were a case of a UI or Cadburys reverting back to the original formula... it'd be tough call for about 10 seconds*. Nom Nom Nom Nom

* Only joking, up the RA Republic

Advertisement