Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

McMafia BBC One James Norton Jan 1st 2018

• 15-12-2017 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

Drama loosely based the non-fiction McMafia: Seriously Organised Crime by top BBC journalist Misha Glenny about the impact of Russian mafia across the world.

Looks good, produced in association with AMC so all you Sky Atlantic freaks can enjoy it ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84,825 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

David Strathairn also in the cast, James Norton star on the rise, I believe his name also linked for Bond

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭cml387

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    David Strathairn also in the cast, James Norton star on the rise, I believe his name also linked for Bond

He was superb in Happy Valley. Managed to bring sensitivity to the role of a right psychopath.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Good audition for James Norton to be the next James bond...but bar that....seems a bit clunky and predictable so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Usual slow first episode with a few clunky explanatory expositions part two is on tonight remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭boccy23

What did people think?

I'm not sold on this one. Very slow. Clearly very well made, but the David Strathairn character, Semiyon Kleiman is very poorly played.

I'll give it another week or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

watched the first episode yesterday, I was rolling my eyes at some of the clunky dialogue. However it picked up the pace towards the end, I'll give it another episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

loyatemu wrote: »
    watched the first episode yesterday, I was rolling my eyes at some of the clunky dialogue. However it picked up the pace towards the end, I'll give it another episode.
    Id pretty much agree with this....some of the actors arent great which doesnt help "Uncle Boris" was particularly useless IMO....
    Also I normally love David Strathairn but he isnt great in this so far....

as soon as I saw James Norton in the tuxedo I thought "he'll shoot up the Bond odds now". Sure enough, he's now the favourite, ahead of previous "seen in a tux" candidates Tom Hardy and Tom Hiddleston.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Missed EP2. Anywhere I can get it. BBC don't do a catch up on Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,780 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

thegills wrote: »
    Missed EP2. Anywhere I can get it. BBC don't do a catch up on Sky.
    If you use Chrome on the computer you can watch the BBC iPlayer using this add-on. Legally as far as I know.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/beebs-access-bbc-iplayer/opmliiafmgjkgkfadkpomlefdllhajdi?hl=en

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,054 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Just catching this tonight. Looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭kala85

How many episodes are in this series.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭brian_t

kala85 wrote: »
    How many episodes are in this series.

If you use Chrome on the computer you can watch the BBC iPlayer using this add-on. Legally as far as I know.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/beebs-access-bbc-iplayer/opmliiafmgjkgkfadkpomlefdllhajdi?hl=en

various reviews there saying it contains adware - approach with caution.

various reviews there saying it contains adware - approach with caution.

Didn't know that, cheers. Never had a noticeable problem with it, but I do run CCleaner fairly regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Huexotzingo

Liked it so far.

Episode 1 was dull but 2 and 3 were good.

Not as good as 'The Night Manager'.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

its very complicated in fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Quite enjoying this
    True it’s not as good as the night manager but it’s north of 6 out of 10

Like in a lot of tv drama,certain things are in the ‘well that would never happen’ category
    I generally watch this Sunday night and for the last 2 weeks When it’s over I’ll switch to watch the 2nd half of striking out
    The fact I can follow striking out with not seeing its first half says a lot about that series in comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Good episode tonight, and about time too. It was dragging a bit. Less screen time for his family was a plus, couldn't hack another night of his dad moping around with his plastic bottle of vodka.
    Tacking on the freedom for the girl was pretty badly done when blackmailing the boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Really enjoyed this. I was on the fence to begin with but as it went on I grew into it.

Very much got a Breaking Bad vibe from the way things developed in terms of Alex's character and his transformation.

Basically he's now
    Walter White

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Yup absolutely super
    Looked forward to it Sunday nights
    Probably only a one off though,no series 2?
    Shame if that’s the case

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I also thought this was an excellent drama - could be predictable finale but very watchable. Fine locations too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

Great series. Have last nights episode recorded and looking forward to getting some me time to watch it.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

wonder will there be a second series?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

decent enough - 6 out of 10 for me.
    the main character was a bit too boring in the way that he was played and the fiance was a drip and looked old enough to be his mother.
    predictable ending also.
    wouldn't be mad about a second series.
    the night manager had flaws also but was better.

watched the final episode yesterday - I just didn't buy Alex as a cold-blooded gangster; he wasn't particularly convincing as a banker either and his fiance was terrible. The most interesting bits were about the other characters - Vadim, the indian gangs, Eddie Jordan, the drunken dad.

watched the final episode yesterday - I just didn't buy Alex as a cold-blooded gangster; he wasn't particularly convincing as a banker either and his fiance was terrible. The most interesting bits were about the other characters - Vadim, the indian gangs, Eddie Jordan, the drunken dad.

skinny Eddie Jordan who prefers the lads. that guy cavorting around in speedos was the most disturbing part of the series.

Overly complicated at times, cliche ridden, with a plank in the lead. Thought it was tame enough stuff in the end. Agree with the point about it not being credible that he suddenly became a cold killer. Actor was far too one dimensional to give us any insights in to his journey.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,054 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Wait. Is that Eddie Jordan?

Advertisement