Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Derry Girls (Channel 4)

• 17-12-2017 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,446 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure that this will be laugh-out-loud funny, but I liked the trailer enough to check it out. Starts January 4th on Channel 4.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/derry-girls
    Derry Girls follows Erin and her friends Orla, Clare, and Michelle, who are used to seeing their country on the nightly news in a time of armed police in armoured Land Rovers and British Army check points.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Channel 4 are plugging it a lot, it seems to be advertised during every break I have seen recently.

In Between Days, by The Cure, features on that trailer which might be a nod to The Inbetweeners (which featured the same instrumental part of that song)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

trailer sells it well if they can keep the tempo up, seen from a distance there ought to be decent opportunities for Barracks humor.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

It'll drop quicker than an IRA ceasefire, the same writer wrote London Irish in 2013, I thought it was good but it only got one series. It has much the same actors as that and 6Degrees, Louse Mitchells old nanny from EastEnders is in it, from 2002.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,829 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Tommy Tiernan is playing one of the main parents

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

It'll drop quicker than an IRA ceasefire, the same writer wrote London Irish in 2013, I thought it was good but it only got one series. It has much the same actors as that and 6Degrees, Louse Mitchells old nanny from EastEnders is in it, from 2002.

Never saw London Irish but it got really bad reviews from what I recall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Bump!

Starting in 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭4Ad

Thought I wouldn't but I actually enjoyed that !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Thought it was pretty funny.
    The very last scene was hilarious. It worked really well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Abandoned ship after 20 mins, just too contrived for my tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭OldRio

Excellent first program. I agree the 'did you kill the wee nun?' scene was laugh out loud funny.

• Advertisement

That was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Really enjoyed that. 'The wee english fella' having to piss into the bucket in detention and your one Michelle quipping 'That's the English for ****ing savages' haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

So ye'r killing nuns nai, is it?

Yeah, it got a few laughs here, we'll keep an eye out for the next one

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As a Derry native found it a little contrived but generally not too bad.

As funny as most of the comedies on TV these days.

Will tune in next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It was pretty funny, worth a watch. The quip calling the girl who was fasting Bobby Sands almost went by unnoticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Got some proper laughs out of that and will look forward to the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,829 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think the casting is very good especially with the younger cast, good chemistry between them, enjoyable first episode some decent laughs

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Watched it, thought it was ok, the detention scene was good.

The prefect reminded me of my secondary school days where I refused to recognise them in any way and considered them as an occupying force as they were assigned to people who I felt abused the position.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Really enjoyed that. Had heard nothing about it until I saw people going on about it on Twitter, so was pleasantly surprised. Reminded me a bit of both The Inbetweeners and Moone Boy mixed together.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I didn't think much off it, the talking was so quick and hard to keep up with but I suppose it is still better than Mrs Browns Boys. It is still worth watching for the couple of attractive ladies in it. I would like it to be a success though just for the novelty factor of seeing it on tv.

I didn't think much off it, the talking was so quick and hard to keep up with but I suppose it is still better than Mrs Browns Boys. It is still worth watching for the couple of attractive ladies in it. I would like it to be a success though just for the novelty factor of seeing it on tv.

That's how us Derry wans talk;)

Anyone know how many shows there's going to be?

IMDB has only 2 episodes listed.

Guy in work told me he series linked it and its showing 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭James74

6 episodes, but after the reaction from last night I'd say it's already nailed on for a second series.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭James74

NIMAN, I'm on the road from Derry to Buncrana, the standard unit of distance for Derry wans :D
    Thought Claire was a bit contrived alright, Michelle however was bang on, I know several Michelle's. My good lady wife is a 90s Derry Girl and she says it a great documentary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Dagenham Dave

Turned it off, thought it was trying far too hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

James74 wrote: »
    NIMAN, I'm on the road from Derry to Buncrana, the standard unit of distance for Derry wans :D
    Thought Claire was a bit contrived alright, Michelle however was bang on, I know several Michelle's. My good lady wife is a 90s Derry Girl and she says it a great documentary.

I'm in Burt, also married to a Derry Girl.

Spot on about Michelle. I thought she was the most recognisable of the bunch. Orla (I think that's her name, the one reading the diary) is just weird. I know that is the intention but she doesn't quite fit.

The others work pretty well. And the wee English fella...

PS did I hear correctly? Did Michelle call one of the other girls a "shyte-the-tights"?

Excellent insult, grossly underused.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,351 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Found it funny at times, other times it felt like it was trying too hard for laughs. It's very well shot and reminds me of Moone Boy in the way it is recreating the 1990s. The cast is very good and the use of the poor English fella is very well done

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Enjoyed it a lot. Found the detention scene very funny. And many parts reminded me of my own secondary school days (also in the 90's). Kicking the young kids off the back seat, the young kid threatening the older kids with their crazy sister etc. were all things I can understand!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I really enjoyed it. Short and funny!

Advertisement