Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland's first jihadi attack?

Options
  • 03-01-2018 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭

It was only a matter of time.
    Dundalk Gardai have been praised for their bravery after they disarmed a crazed knifeman who has killed one and injured two more in an attack shortly before 9am this morning on the Avenue Road.
    "They disarmed a crazed knifeman who was hell-bent on stabbing as many people as possible."
    A Garda spokesperson said the man, who is believed to originally from the Middle East, has been arrested on suspicion of murder.
    source
    Plenty of people have left Ireland to perpetrate jihad in Libya, Syria and Iraq, or used Ireland as a base for fundraising activities. I think this is the first killing on Irish soil though.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

That might follow that every time a Traveler kicks off in a boozer it's the Travelers attacking the state, or if a Cork person commits murder outside of Cork it's the expected uprising from the true republic.

If I kick off and claim to be ISIS, would that count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Damiencm

Reported as being a Japanese man

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

The victim is japanese

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

If I kick off and claim to be ISIS, would that count?
    Are you from that region?
    Anyway, I haven't heard that any such claim was made. The attack fits the usual modus operandi though. Random assaults with no particular escape plan in mind for the perpetrator.
    Knives, vehicles or whatever is locally available used as weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I would worry for the level of planning that went into this if Avenue road Dundalk seemed like a good target for a jihaddi attack.

It’s more likely some deranged lunatic, of which Dundalk has way more than its fair share. When I lived there in the 1990’s stabbing were common enough and none that I remember were Linked to jihaddi ****e. From memory five people were stabbed in one estate one night back then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

recedite wrote: »
    Are you from that region?
    Anyway, I haven't heard that any such claim was made. The attack fits the usual modus operandi though. Random assaults with no particular escape plan in mind for the perpetrator.
    Knives, vehicles or whatever is locally available used as weapons.

It's really saddening to be opening up debates based on treating people differently due to skin tone or geography etc. We've not moved on from lazy Mexicans, stupid Irish, mean Scots etc. etc.

It's really saddening to be opening up debates based on treating people differently due to skin tone or geography etc. We've not moved on from lazy Mexicans, stupid Irish, mean Scots etc. etc.
    Who mentioned skin tone? You had an "I'm Spartacus" moment in which you wondered if we'd all believe that you represented Islamic State In Syria. Nobody had mentioned ISIS before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

recedite wrote: »
    It was only a matter of time

Ahh cmon for feck sake !!
    Are you jumping on the media frenzy .....
    How about wait for the details , before calling it a "Terrorist Attack" ... ffs.

Its the medias job to blow things out of proportion. Someone needs to apply a bit of "Cop On" ...

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Well, whatever happened, my sympathy goes out to the Japanese fella and his next of kin. Probably came over here at his own expense, maybe due to an interest in Irish culture, language and music, or photography, and now he'll be going home in a casket.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,141 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This isn't a suitable thread for this forum. Locked.

Thread in After Hours here.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement