Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2017 A Christmas Forum Year In Review

Options
  • 02-01-2018 2:27pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So another busy year is done and dusted here in the Christmas forum.

This has been our third busiest year ever for the Christmas forum trailing by only 431 posts from 2015 which was the busiest year for us and trailing by only 35 posts from last year 2016, which was our second busiest year.

This level of posting is a testament to all of our wonderful elves who post here both at Christmas time and all year round. Ye guys truly make this forum what it is and without ye Boards would be a much gloomier place.

In 2017 we saw our first thread to reach 10,000 posts, the sequel thread although only less than 2 months old is already 10% of the way there already.

Looking ahead to 2018 we will be switching focus to a more community feel during the off-season so hopefully ye guys will stick around even if ye are all Christmas out at the moment.

Old favorites will return, the Countdown, Out of Season, etc and I'll be creating more threads like Photo of the day, What did you do today, that give us more of a chance to chat about things not just Christmas.

And of course our chat thread is there for everything and anything and of course we are always here for whenever you have a bad day or need an ear to listen or a place to vent, our Christmas lights are always on no matter the time of the day or night.

So what were your highlights from 2017 either in or out of the forum?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

jud250.jpg

Number of posts per year for anyone interested :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I found this year that I was excited about forum members (like Loughc and baby and crumble) getting married, albeit not to each other. I feel like we were all fighting alongside Stripedboxers, enjoying iguana's stories of her magical Christmas with S and just enjoying the sense of community and excitement.

I definitely think a meet-up should be on the cards for Christmas 2018. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I 100% agree a forum meet up is a must this year. I feel like I know ye all at this stage. It’s be great to met and put faces to the names.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Did a lot of lurking, only one or two posts but it's still a great pick-me-up forum for when life or some areas of boards are a bit crap.

Great modding and you have a good bunch of positive, regular posters here. Nothing negative, apart from could you do anything to make Christmas last a bit longer and that I don't have to work it!

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Nothing negative, apart from could you do anything to make Christmas last a bit longer and that I don't have to work it!

Ah my friend we’ve been trying to extend it for years now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Well done everyone! I really loved the forum this year! I was on it last year under a different user name but this year, I'll be sticking around :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I didn’t have half as much time to post here in 2017 as I had in the past but it was great to be able to pop in at any stage and join the conversation. It’s such a welcoming forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭DvB

The run up to Christmas wouldnt be the same without this forum.

I'd only lurked a couple of years ago & posted the odd time back then but over the last couple of years I've really enjoyed posting more regularly & buzzing off everyone else's excitement growing towards the big day. I cant imagine it being any different come September when I start getting the first vibes of christmas excitement building again. I actually remember having a bad run of it with work pressure etc. in the summer of 2016 and coming in here to look at the christmas adverts & traditions threads randomly & it really cheering me up & boosting my spirits at the time. Its little things like that that make such a difference.

I have to say as well, it really is the most welcoming of forums on boards, others can be terribly aggressive and depressing, but here is never ever like that. I tip my hat to you all. I had originally expected to say goodbye to you all until September but suspect I'll be popping in throughout the year (hopefully in better form than the summer of 2016) as its refreshing to know I'm not the only big softy when it comes to christmas, at any time of the year!!

Thanks for having me!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »

I have to say as well, it really is the most welcoming of forums on boards, others can be terribly aggressive and depressing, but here is never ever like that. I tip my hat to you all. I had originally expected to say goodbye to you all until September but suspect I'll be popping in throughout the year (hopefully in better form than the summer of 2016) as its refreshing to know I'm not the only big softy when it comes to christmas, at any time of the year!!

Thanks for having me!

Thank you for posting, it's always a pleasure welcoming new posters into our safe haven here on boards.

True it is very comforting to know we are not the only ones who love Christmas as much as we do haha.

Don't be a stranger! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Hi all, like others. I've lurked alot! While I completed my level 8 degree in may 2017 it was a very busy time! Then I had to get a to get a job and become a responsible adult! :D. But while at college it was nice to drop in and have a read of some of the threads here. It really took my mine off the stress and the deadlines of assignments. But ultimately to have something to look forward too. Christmas is by far my favourite time of year. I have a brother who live in San Francisco with his wife, who visit from the 22nd - 29th of December. I suppose this helps also to make it more magical!

I'll finish off by saying that the mods do a fantastic job with both moderating and contributing to the forum as well as the other members of this forum. That's ultimately what makes this forum what it is, warm and welcoming. Keep up the great work everyone! My new years resolution is to post more in here! :pac: So you'll be see a lot more of me!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the kind words job seeker and I’m delighted to hear you’ll be joining in on the madness here! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Loughc wrote: »
    Thanks for the kind words job seeker and I’m delighted to hear you’ll be joining in on the madness here! :D

No problem! Thanks! it's a very nice forum! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Well done to all the elves on keeping this forum going.  I seem to spend more time here outside of Christmas than I did around Christmas itself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jude13

I echo Posy's, especially in relation to Stripedboxers.

Also DvB hit the nail on the head with "I actually remember having a bad run of it with work pressure etc. in the summer of 2016 and coming in here to look at the christmas adverts & traditions threads randomly & it really cheering me up & boosting my spirits at the time. Its little things like that that make such a difference."

I was in a similar position, massive amount of travel to not so nice places, moving future wifey to another country, new firm, so many unknowns. But it would all be forgotten when I got a notification of a new post from the forum. The christmas ad's, and Christmas eve traditions perked me up, then made me depressed to be so far from family but ultimately reminded me why I was doing what I do and the end result.

Everyone is so chilled and non judgmental, a breath of fresh air as I try to avoid almost all of the rest of boards. I will be around posting all year keeping you updated of any developments from the sandpit as technically I am the closed one to where Christmas began.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Highlight; hangman.

Peatys wrote: »
    Highlight; hangman.

I think it’s time for a new round of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jude13

I enjoyed hangman alright, I got one at the start and got cocky thinking I would get the rest. I didn't get another after it, each time someone else got it right I would think it was so obvious how did I not think of that.

Advertisement