Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February intake

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Waitinggame123

On the allocation pro-forma... are you all printing it, signing it and scanning to email it back? Or simply typing your name beside where it says 'signature'?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭WittyName291

I done it on my phone and added a hand drawn signature

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭TheBearcop

Done it on computer and just typed my signature lol

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭RedPool2891

I went for the old fashioned technique and completed it in pen and scanned it back. 

Hope you all had a nice Christmas and enjoyed a few celebratory beers!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭MayDupname

Yea, I just typed my name in and emailed it back. How did you all go about choosing your preferred districts? I tried to weigh up distance that would be reasonable to travel with being far enough away from my local area where I wouldn't be recognized. Hopefully works out.
    That's Christmas over, need to start thinking about getting a bit of cardio in. Not be long coming around now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭KnightRider21

do you have to pick four districts or is 3 okay?

You can pick 1 if you want. Its up to a max of 4 just

Great thanks!

I think it's risky picking just one - if you don't get it you could end up with any of the others.  I personally think it's best to pick a few.  At least that way you're giving a few options to HR.

Iv been hitting 3.5 mile runs 3 times a week over Xmas there, then come new year back to boxing time to get ready, it’s exciting :)

• Advertisement

Iv been hitting 3.5 mile runs 3 times a week over Xmas there, then come new year back to boxing time to get ready, it’s exciting :)

Ok, ok! You've made your point lol!

I've been hitting 3 different types of stuffing a day since Christmas!

Even the thought of cardio depresses me lol. Guess i better start tomorrow then ughh...

• Registered Users Posts: 45 T213a

I've let myself slip badly with that! Regret that now! Haha that's one aspect of GV I could have been prepared for! Haha

Suppose I may start again tomorrow too!

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭shanevendrell

Having been to the January induction I thought id make a little point re: fitness.

This isn't the marines. They're aren't looking for 35 of the countrys fittest and fastest to walk through the doors on induction morning.

They're looking for a good base level of which to work with. Most training is crossfit based with bleep tests thrown in.

Don't anyone be killing themselves or burning themselves out in the next few weeks. Work to a good level and a level that you know can be improved upon as they're looking to see progression over the 23 weeks.

Wise words... the induction all classroom based stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Having been to the January induction I thought id make a little point re: fitness.

This isn't the marines. They're aren't looking for 35 of the countrys fittest and fastest to walk through the doors on induction morning.

They're looking for a good base level of which to work with. Most training is crossfit based with bleep tests thrown in.

Don't anyone be killing themselves or burning themselves out in the next few weeks. Work to a good level and a level that you know can be improved upon as they're looking to see progression over the 23 weeks.
    Counterpoint;

The fitter you are the easier you will find dealing with fatigue, the easier you will find recovering from the longer and more stressful shifts.

Many of you will be going to stations were you wear Ballistic vests and not just stabbings, that is a fair bit of weight to be carrying around. You don't want to be unnecessarily tired, as that will affect your home life.

There is clear medical correlations between fitness and managing stress, you are going into one of the most stressful jobs imaginable. In the words of tescos, Every Little Helps.

Like shanevendrell said, you have 23 weeks of progression, go in as fit as you can manage, but use the free gym that you have access to for 23 weeks to your advantage as well as the trim trail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭goodburger1

Counterpoint;

The fitter you are the easier you will find dealing with fatigue, the easier you will find recovering from the longer and more stressful shifts.

Many of you will be going to stations were you wear Ballistic vests and not just stabbings, that is a fair bit of weight to be carrying around. You don't want to be unnecessarily tired, as that will affect your home life.

There is clear medical correlations between fitness and managing stress, you are going into one of the most stressful jobs imaginable. In the words of tescos, Every Little Helps.

Like shanevendrell said, you have 23 weeks of progression, go in as fit as you can manage, but use the free gym that you have access to for 23 weeks to your advantage as well as the trim trail.
    Talking of fatigue, you will experience it on a daily basis. Many nodding dogs an yawners in class. Get plenty of energy drinks and coffee. It will be your best friend. Oh and try get a good nights sleep. It always helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 CarrotCake1

Hey guys, in relation to district choices do you number them in order of preference? Also has everyone picked more than one? There's only really the one area that I'm really keen on

All choices bear the same weight so theres no order of preference. You simply cross the boxes that you would prefer. There is none more important than the other. Theres only 1 i would want but put more just incase. If you choose one amd dont get it you could be put in a random district on the other side of the country. Whereas if you put more than one, more likely than not one of those will be given to you. But again, they are all of the same importance.

Happy New year everyone! Notice finally handed in, cover story given.. beginning to feel real now

• Registered Users Posts: 25 pandabear97

Definitely getting a bit nervous now, can't wait to start at the same time though

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Jonarodgers

is there anything we can be doing in terms of pre reads? is there any helpful websites i can start reading from? my fitness is good but my learning side of things might of taken a knock. if anyone can direct message me anything thatd be super.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 T213a

is there anything we can be doing in terms of pre reads? is there any helpful websites i can start reading from? my fitness is good but my learning side of things might of taken a knock. if anyone can direct message me anything thatd be super.

We have online learning to complete before we start. Will probably find out at induction though.

Happy New Year everyone.  I'm sure this year will be a rollercoaster for us all :D

That's my resignation letter away now, too.  Scary!

T213a wrote: »

We have online learning to complete before we start. Will probably find out at induction though.
    Online learning starts after induction? ill need to remember my password. should probably give the last section a look over again its been a while.

• Advertisement

T213a wrote: »

Online learning starts after induction? ill need to remember my password. should probably give the last section a look over again its been a while.

Advertisement