Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonics after Christmas abuse

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Going to do a dry jan though..... anyone ever nailed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

No I'm not. When I say that they do remove toxins from the body, then I'll be changing my story.

But until then I'd like to hear your scientific explanation of how they do remove toxins from the body.

In other words your snipey little post in the end amounts to you splitting hairs over what's a toxin. Go and f$ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    In other words your snipey little post in the end amounts to you splitting hairs over what's a toxin. Go and f$ck.

It's almost like you have no idea what you're talking about. They don't remove anything from the body. So no, it's not just about being correct over what a toxin is.

The post wasn't snipey either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Schwanz wrote: »
    Read the title of the thread..... It's all about over-indulgence over the Christmas period which I'm sure puts the liver under more than usual pressure.

If your liver can't cope with it, then I don't think a shot of apple cider vinegar is going to do much.

If you're liver can't cope with it, then I don't think a shot of apple cider vinegar is going to do much.

Across a bottle and it will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Still, wtf is the "mother"?

Still, wtf is the "mother"?

Special nutrients in the bottle.... it's a beautiful thing

• You have to laugh at the regurgitated wide eyed nonsense you hear on social media. Apple cider vinegar and unspecified toxins being right up there.

Can you imagine a Consultant saying "body full of toxins, patient needs apple cider vinegar"...I suspect all around would collapse laughing. It reminds me of the Mitchell and Webb sketch about homeopaths and a patient needing purple immediately...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭ Blaire Bewildered Beekeeper

Water and short periods of fasting are the best detox methods.

Organic Apple Cider Vinegar (tsp in hot water ideally with drop of honey) is beneficial for various reasons.

Some studies showed that apple cider vinegar can lower cholesterol (antioxidant chlorogenic acid), and triglyceride levels. It can also be beneficial for those with T2 diabetes.

One overlooked benefit is that it may help balance alkaline levels.
    Like lemon juice (although acidic) when absorbed, it become alkaline-forming for the body.
    Most people unfortunately have slightly acidic systems.

It's almost like you have no idea what you're talking about. They don't remove anything from the body. So no, it's not just about being correct over what a toxin is.

The post wasn't snipey either.

The presence of antioxidants will interact with free radicals terminating chain reaction which cause various cell damage. The western diet contributes to too much free radicals in our body which have a toxic effect and the inclusion of foods containing antioxidants vitamin E, vitamin C will reduce the harmful effect of free radicals in the body and thus reduce their harmful effect.

Free Radical = Toxin
    Antioxidant comes along
    Antioxidant gives electron to Free Radical
    Free Radical Neutralised
    Toxin Gone

Antioxidant got rid of Toxin in Body.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I haven't tried it but someone suggested ingesting epsom salts; leave at least 2 days aside where you don't have to be any significant distance from a toilet though.

Personally, I'm just gonna keep drinking at the same pace and hope it all evens out eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

The presence of antioxidants will interact with free radicals terminating chain reaction which cause various cell damage. The western diet contributes to too much free radicals in our body which have a toxic effect and the inclusion of foods containing antioxidants vitamin E, vitamin C will reduce the harmful effect of free radicals in the body and thus reduce their harmful effect.

Free Radical = Toxin
    Antioxidant comes along
    Antioxidant gives electron to Free Radical
    Free Radical Neutralised
    Toxin Gone

Antioxidant got rid of Toxin in Body.

Where did you get your PHD? I have about €17 left after Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

I was a good girl during Christmas, I even managed to lose a little more weight down to 8 stone 8 pounds now. That's an ok weight as
    I'm just nearly 5 foot tall and in my 50's. The best toxic removers are your liver and kidneys and abstinence. I'm no saint and I love my G and T, the odd whiskey and a glass of red wine. But if you abstain from alcohol you really see difference in your skin and even your hair and nails.

Having a squeeze of real lemon into a glass of warm water every morning makes me feel good. A good walk in a bracing sea breeze works wonders too.

Cutting down on sugar (a toxin) ......difficult to do over the Christmas period.....but it is definately worth a go in the New Year. There's sugar in practically every thing you ingest, even the so called healthy foods.

Happy New Year to you all. May 2018 be the best year you have ever had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

The best thing to do is get an enema bag. You basically squirt a load of water up your arse and then sh1t it all back out along with an almighty load of fecal matter that was probably lodged up there for years. You would be amazed at just how full of sh1t you really are.

Where did you get your PHD? I have about €17 left after Christmas.

That's been common knowledge for decades. I also know humans need
    water to live. The sun is in the sky. And fire is hot. I don't need a PHD for that. I have a good amateur knowledge of chemistry though if any bluffer wants to try their hand.

Free Radical = Toxin

Free radicals aren't toxins.

They disrupt/damage cells and molecules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭ Blaire Bewildered Beekeeper

Green Tea is great drink/tonic too. Good for hangovers, but has to be taken very slowly in such an instance.

Coffee is very acidic, any tea but especially Gree/White are the best. Takes a bit of getting used to however.

'Polyphenols in tea are what are thought to provide its anti-inflammatory and anti-carcinogenic effects. Green tea is approximately 20-45 percent polyphenols by weight, of which 60-80 percent are catechins such as EGCG'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Lionel Rapping Foxhound

Read the title of the thread..... It's all about over-indulgence over the Christmas period which I'm sure puts the liver under more than usual pressure.

If someone is trying to sell you a 'detox potion' tell them to 'go fvck themselves'.

Your liver is there to handle over indulgence.

'Detox', is just 'snake oil' salesmanship.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Jesus you are all very cranky for a bunch of people still alive at the end of the year.

• Advertisement

Free radicals aren't toxins.

They are due to the toxicity of lipid hydroperoxides to animals.
    Free Radicals produce toxicity by peroxidation of cellular components. For example, carbon tetrachloride forms trichloromethyl radicals, which cause peroxidation of polysaturated lipids and covalently bind to proteins and unsaturated lipids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Lionel Rapping Foxhound

Free Radicals produce toxicity by peroxidation of cellular components. For example, carbon tetrachloride forms trichloromethyl radicals, which cause peroxidation of polysaturated lipids and covalently bind to proteins and unsaturated lipids

Sh*t, you've just given me dyslexia :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

That reads like complete nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

That would be an ecumenical matter.

Free Radicals produce toxicity etc etc

Still not a toxin.

Juat because something reacts with something else to produce something 'toxic' doesn't make it a toxin.

Anyway, not trying to be snipy. Lets all just toast the new year with shots of apple cider vinegar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

Eddie Guerroro was my favourite free radical

• Registered Users Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭anewme

braggs_acv_1_5.jpg

Load of people I know started drinking this as they read it on Facebook.

It would rot the enamel off your teeth, so you’d end up de toxxed and gummy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Great link.

As per a peer-reviewed citation in that article, most antioxidants we ingest have poor bioavailability so don't even reach their intended target and therefore cannot exert any effect. The end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Water and short periods of fasting are the best detox methods.

Organic Apple Cider Vinegar (tsp in hot water ideally with drop of honey) is beneficial for various reasons.

Some studies showed that apple cider vinegar can lower cholesterol (antioxidant chlorogenic acid), and triglyceride levels. It can also be beneficial for those with T2 diabetes.

One overlooked benefit is that it may help balance alkaline levels.
    Like lemon juice (although acidic) when absorbed, it become alkaline-forming for the body.
    Most people unfortunately have slightly acidic systems.

Lol

main-qimg-03a15ef93297c4140f5a4303e8938b78-c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

What's yours or do you think it's all b*llox
    I don’t think ‘detox’ is all bollox.

I know for a fact it’s all bollox.

Advertisement