Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Ulster vs Munster, Mon 1st Jan 5:35pm; BBCNI/TG4

• 30-12-2017 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ulster Rugby team to play Munster, Guinness PRO14, Monday 1st January, Kingspan Stadium, kick-off 5.35pm:
    (15-9): Charles Piutau; Craig Gilroy, Louis Ludik, Stuart McCloskey, Rob Lyttle; Christian Lealiifano, John Cooney;
    (1-8): Kyle McCall, Rob Herring (captain), Rodney Ah You, Alan O'Connor, Kieran Treadwell, Greg Jones, Nick Timoney, Jean Deysel;

Replacements (16-23): Adam McBurney, Callum Black, Wiehahn Herbst, Robbie Diack, Matthew Rea, Paul Marshall, Johnny McPhillips, Andrew Trimble.

Munster:
    Simon Zebo; Calvin Nash, Keith Earls, Sammy Arnold, Alex Wootton; JJ Hanrahan, Duncan Williams;
    James Cronin, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Darren O’Shea, Billy Holland (c); Tommy O’Donnell, Chris Cloete, Jack O’Donoghue.

Replacements: Kevin O’Byrne, Jeremy Loughman, Stephen Archer, Fineen Wycherley, Robin Copeland, James Hart, Bill Johnston, Ronan O’Mahony.

Munster have made 11 changes to the team that lost to Leinster. Keith Earls makes his return from injury and starts at outside centre due to the lack of other options (Goggin, Taute and Farrell are all injured). Jeremy Loughman, a former Leinster academy prop, will make his debut from the bench. Ronan O'Mahony returns following a broken leg suffered at the end of last season.

I thought the game was probably a write off but the squad looks stronger than I expected. Billy Holland starts his 16th consecutive game which is incredible while Sammy Arnold remains in the lineup (presumably he will be rested against Connacht). It's a big game for JJ Hanrahan at 10. If he doesn't perform then he's going to struggle for opportunities once Bleyendaal returns (I read somewhere he is expected back in a few weeks). Bill Johnston is also looking for gametime and appears to be highly rated.

What goes best with a fry-up? 9 votes

Brown Bread
    0%
    Potato Farls
    100%
    slingerzmolloyjhthomond2006Ciaran-IrlSquidgy BlackroundymacdiddlyboprawnsamboDon Kiddick 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,723 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Munster have an edge in the front row and back row. Ulster have the better second row. Ulster have the better half backs. The centres are even enough and Ulster have the better back three (largely because of Piutau), although I'm interested to see Calvin Nash as I've heard good things.

Will be very tight.

• If Ulster lose this I hope they let Gibbs do the talking, not sure I can sit through another interview like the last one Les did.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Irish Times reporting Earls may miss this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Potato Farls
    Stheno wrote: »

He had a bug last week and couldn't play, has trained this week, so should be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Really looking forward to seeing Nash and lyttle, two very promising youngsters. Can only see a munster win here tbh hopefully I'm wrong though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭budhabob

Interesting to see TOD at 6. Has he played there before? Exciting team I must say from a munster point of view

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Potato Farls
    Stheno wrote: »

That report from Watterson came out before the lineup announcement so I assume Earls is good to go.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I've never tried potato farls. Are they nice?

Munster to pull off the away win IMO, even without their first choice half backs

Zzippy wrote: »
    I've never tried potato farls. Are they nice?

Yes. Especially nice when you dip it into a runny fried egg...hmmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

bilston wrote: »
    Yes. Especially nice when you dip it into a runny fried egg...hmmmm...

And a bit of brown sauce.

• Advertisement

• mfceiling wrote: »
    And a bit of brown sauce.

That's awec's favourite alright.

• Administrators Posts: 53,085 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

That Munster team is stronger than I was hoping for. Worried now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Richard Lutton
    @rickylutton
    3h3 hours ago
    Possibly the least indigenous Ulster 15 ever selected. Just 4 locals in the starting XV. Compare to Munster and Leinster. Pity because interpros mean so much more to the local men. Still, hopefully the boys get the win!

Not very smart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Richard Lutton
    @rickylutton
    3h3 hours ago
    Possibly the least indigenous Ulster 15 ever selected. Just 4 locals in the starting XV. Compare to Munster and Leinster. Pity because interpros mean so much more to the local men. Still, hopefully the boys get the win!

Not very smart.

He's no longer playing

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Buer

awec wrote: »
    That Munster team is stronger than I was hoping for. Worried now.

I don't think they could have fielded anything weaker, really due to injuries. Maybe if some of the lads on the bench were starting? But even at that, the poor standard of their bench should give Ulster an advantage in the later stages.

If Ulster show up and put in any sort of good level of effort, they should win. I'd have little faith in those Munster half backs to go to Belfast and steer them to a win.

Richard Lutton
    @rickylutton
    3h3 hours ago

Not very smart.

He retired (or was released) last season.

He is also spot on.

Four locals starting...McCall, McCloskey, Gilroy and Lyttle and four on the bench, McBurney, Rea, Marshall and Trimble. It's just not good enough.

Richard Lutton
    @rickylutton
    3h3 hours ago

Not very smart.

He is also spot on.

Four locals starting...McCall, McCloskey, Gilroy and Lyttle and four on the bench, McBurney, Rea, Marshall and Trimble. It's just not good enough.

Richard Lutton
    @rickylutton
    3h3 hours ago

Not very smart.

He is also spot on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

I think Bilston thinks he's spot on

Just reinforcing Ricky's point...

Either that or my phone or the MB are s***

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,887 ✭✭✭jacothelad

So good he named it thrice......

Just thank the first post lads

So why are Henderson and Stockdale being rested for this game? There is a 9 day gap between the Connacht debacle and this match. There is no reason to rest them at all. If there is a two game limit leave them out of the annual battering in Dublin. I will give Kiss the benefit of the doubt and assume his hands are tied on this one because it would be mental to do it out of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

So why are Henderson and Stockdale being rested for this game? There is a 9 day gap between the Connacht debacle and this match. There is no reason to rest them at all. If there is a two game limit leave them out of the annual battering in Dublin. I will give Kiss the benefit of the doubt and assume his hands are tied on this one because it would be mental to do it out of choice.

Leinster and then the two Euro games coming up in quick succession.

• Administrators Posts: 53,085 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The thing is our first choice team is probably not good enough to win in the RDS, while the team he has picked for Monday represents a bit of a gamble as well.

Kiss is spreading us a bit too thin IMO.

We’ll be playing Hendo in the RDS but presumably no Cooney and no Stockdale. I’m sure there are more due a rest. It doesn’t really make sense, it weakens us for both games.

Leinster being in our conference complicates things but I am not at all convinced Ulster can win in Dublin and a trio of inter pro defeats will cause any remaining good will Kiss has from the supporters to evaporate instantly.

He simply has to win on Monday. Not least cause it’s my first game of the season at Ravenhill and I’ll be damned if I’m going to stand in the freezing cold to be served up a large helping of Les Kiss inspired rubbish.

Potato Farls
    Just reinforcing Ricky's point...

Either that or my phone or the MB are s***

Thought you had a stutter there for a minute

Leinster and then the two Euro games coming up in quick succession.

Rest them against Leinster. We never win there. Once in about 15 years...and even then the ref did his best to ensure we didn't...

Potato Farls
    From a Munster point of view, I'm glad JJ is getting a start here and I predict a big game from my fellow countyman. Also, it seems that Cloete is first choice at 7 ... but playing TOD at 6 is interesting...will be looking closely at how they dovetail and is it a workable pairing...it's going to be a close game, a score in it I think...flip a coin as to the winner

• Registered Users Posts: 10,945 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

awec wrote: »
    Kiss is spreading us a bit too thin IMO

This isnt a defence of LK but just an observation.

Does Kiss have to do this in order to prevent a split in the squad like Woodward had with the 2005 Lions dirt trackers?

If he splits the squad in two it will be there for all to see including the players which can impact on morale. It would be a long unbearable season then?

The fact that he appears to be spreading Ulster so thin hints at a wider problem that pre-dates LK and points more to the lack of depth and signing guys like Jordi, Marty Moore and even Deysel this season point to trying to rectify those shortcomings.

On a side note while watching the Quins v Saints game I figured Ulster need a Harry Mallinder type player who can play across the backline. While most people look southern hemisphere for players, maybe there is 1 or 2 possibilities in the AP worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,742 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Potato Farls
    Yeah these 3 games are a real problem for Kiss and Leinster. The Leinster game is important due to the conference set up. The home game is important due to the simple fact that it’s the only home game of the 3. If the scheduling been a bit kinder and the home game been first it wouldn’t have been a problem. Now Ulster need to balance the 2 important games somewhat. With a limited squad that’s always going to be tough. Could Kiss really have gone 100% tomorrow and thrown the game in the RDS? Especially when the chances were that Munster were going to put out a weakened side tomorrow?

I certainly don’t envy the Ulster coaches having to make these calls.

Advertisement