Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Ireland recognize Jerusalem as the Capital of Israel?

• 27-12-2017 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

Jerusalem is the historic Capital of Israel and should Ireland therefore recognize this fact and it`s present day reality just like the USA. After all, Israel`s parliament, the Knesset and other main government offices are in the city. Lest we forget, God gave Israel to the Jews so should this not be acknowledged by respecting the right of the Israeli people to choose their own capital?

How would the Dubs like it if every country in the world were to recognize Cork`s rightful status as the real Capital of Ireland?

The Palestinian desire for a Palestinian capital in east Jerusalem could perhaps be entertained by the State of Israel if the international community were to recognize Jerusalem as Israel`s capital.

My own view is that the world in general and Ireland in particular should recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel but the Palestinians really ought to refrain from the appalling behavior they displayed following President Trump`s decision on the matter. These things need to be talked out and there is no excuse for burning flags and rioting because of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,369 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Definitely not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

We should recognise it as the capital of Palestine!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

No

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

We should recognise it as the capital of Palestine!
    Palestine doesnt exist as a state so that would be a bit daft wouldn't it .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Oops69 wrote: »
    Palestine doesnt exist as a state so that would be a bit daft wouldn't it .

Only in some people's mind it doesn't!
    Thousands of Palestinians and Arabs think otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭W0LFMAN

Cork is the Capital right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

My own view is that the world in general and Ireland in particular should recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel but the Palestinians really ought to refrain from the appalling behavior they displayed following President Trump`s decision on the matter. These things need to be talked out and there is no excuse for burning flags and rioting because of it.

And the bait is set...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

If we do will it bring about the now overdue economic collapse?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Reality recognised Jerusalem as the Capital of Israel, and Israel doesn't give a **** what the UN thinks as they're used to it.
    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Ireland would disgrace itself with such a move. But the Irish political class has whored itself at the feet of the zionists over the last decade or two. At the expense of the Irish worker. So nothing would surprise me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

[mod]This thread surely belongs in “politics”[/mod]

Moving...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭One More Toy

No. Israel is not a state.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

Jerusalem is the historic Capital of Israel and should Ireland therefore recognize this fact
    Ireland is a historic imperial possession of Great Britain, perhaps we should recognise that reality too? :D

I think they should give Jerusalem back to the Babylonians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

Can anyone provide a link to an article or explainer about why trumps declaration was so controversial. My knowledge of Israel/Palestine is limited and I'd like to get a grasp on the significance of Jerusalem.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭phater phagan

I respect Israel's right to exist, but Trump's actions are only done to create dangerous situations. I don't condone Jew bashing, or Muslim bashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭AnGaelach

Israel doesn't exactly do itself any favours in trying to win support by calling us the most anti-Semitic country in Europe or using Irish passports for its spies to get around the world.

No, the Israelis can get t'fúck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭AnGaelach

Brego888 wrote: »
    Can anyone provide a link to an article or explainer about why trumps declaration was so controversial. My knowledge of Israel/Palestine is limited and I'd like to get a grasp on the significance of Jerusalem.

Jerusalem is an important religious city to Christians, Jews and Muslims. Jerusalem was originally divided between Israelis and Palestinians, but after the various Arab-Israeli wars the Israelis took the entire city. Israel's de facto capital has been long recognised internationally as Tel Aviv, by recognising it as Jerusalem they're effectively just cementing Israeli claims to the city. It makes a peace settlement between Palestine and Israel that little bit less realistic.

Brego888 wrote: »

This is just off the top of my head, so I'm not a hundred percent certain. But when the state of Israel was created in the 1920's, Jerusalem was considered to be designated as a place to be off limits politically to any of the constituents in the area. Jews, Arabs, Muslims, Christians et al. A sort of no-man's-land to maintain peace in the region. I think that is the crux of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Absolutely we should! Will it happen I’d say It won’t!

• Advertisement

AnGaelach wrote: »
    Israel doesn't exactly do itself any favours in trying to win support by calling us the most anti-Semitic country in Europe or using Irish passports for its spies to get around the world.

No, the Israelis can get t'fúck.

Yeah they are probably right about the amount of anti-Semitic crap that goes on here. Sure they just have to look at all the hate towards it on boards as a good example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

F**k Israel. I’m reluctant to recognise them as human beings, nevermind Jerusalem as their capital.

armaghlad wrote: »
    F**k Israel. I’m reluctant to recognise them as human beings, nevermind Jerusalem as their capital.

I rest my case!

Hatred is a self-destructive thing. It's better to give it up for body and soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Re:anti-semiticism

I hate the state of Israel and the atrocities committed. I do not have Jews or the Israeli people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Jerusalem is the historic Capital of Israel

Historic? Israel has only been in existence since 1948.

Yes. Just what the region needs. More humiliation of the Palestinian people.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yeah they are probably right about the amount of anti-Semitic crap that goes on here. Sure they just have to look at all the hate towards it on boards as a good example.

Ah the auld anti-semitism. The very thing the jewish right wing politicians and media are on a hair trigger to accuse all and sundry of, when they might dare to call out blatant human rights abuses and extreme policy emanating from officialdom in Israel.

I'll put it this way, if you wrote down the policies and behaviours of Israel since the late 90's, in hypothetical terms by leaving out all the names, places and participants, a cold analysis in comparison with history would show up some very uncomfortable parallels with fascism and ultra nationalism. How ironic. Netanyahu is really no different to Putin or Erdogan or Órban.

I recognise Israel's right to exist because we are where we are, but the clumsy actions of the victorious powers post WWII by bulldozing one people out of the way to try and compensate for the holocaust and set up a turn-key homeland for another, was the worst bit of diplomatic policy the world has seen in about 2 centuries, apart from perhaps appeasement.

No, Ireland is right to remain with the majority of nations in not recognising Israeli pre-eminence over Jerusalem, because the enlightened view is that the 2-state solution is the only one with a lasting chance.

It is indeed an intractable situation. It might possibly have worked better if Bavaria had been designated as the Jewish Homeland ( as some of the players had suggested at the time).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

AnGaelach wrote: »
    Jerusalem is an important religious city to Christians, Jews and Muslims. Jerusalem was originally divided between Israelis and Palestinians, but after the various Arab-Israeli wars the Israelis took the entire city. Israel's de facto capital has been long recognised internationally as Tel Aviv, by recognising it as Jerusalem they're effectively just cementing Israeli claims to the city. It makes a peace settlement between Palestine and Israel that little bit less realistic.

That 2 state peace solution will never happen. It is quite deliberate that Israel have allowed some autonomy in two distinctly SEPARATE areas. The Palestinians are easier to control this way. No way will they allow a joined up country. ( Sorry for going off topic)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,272 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Lest we forget, God gave Israel to the Jews

No he didn't and even if he had it wasn't his to give

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement