Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow-ice Warning : Wednesday 27 Dec. 2017 21:00 to Fri 29 Dec 10.00

• 27-12-2017 7:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Rain will turn to snow as it moves in to Leinster, Connaught and south Ulster Thursday evening.

1 - 3 cm on low ground before thaw.

Snow turns to rain after midnight and things get a little unpleasant but enjoy it while it lasts:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Yisroel Squeaking Toxin

I suppose Dublin will just see rain !!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I suppose Dublin will just see rain !!

A better than even chance Dublin sees snow. Again, temporary.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,095 ✭✭✭pad199207

After the disaster of the last event I’m not holding my breath.

Still would be nice to see some flakes over the holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

We're heading to the airport at stupid o clock Friday morning, hope it's not going to be showing then!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Looking at the HIRLAM, I can see why they say "temporary". A bit of snow followed by more rain, so it's just going to get washed away, I think.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

A better than even chance Dublin sees snow. Again, temporary.

Depends though on how deep the low cranks
    The deeper ,the more mild air rushes in and currently it looks like deepening too much too quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The initial front is looking weaker on latest runs and really doesnt look like it will affect Leinster/ Ulster...the second frontal system will be mainly rain possibly preceded by some sleet for 20 mins or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Well one positive of this ongoing pattern is as we go on into January is we may well fall on the right side of marginal for these kind of events more often with the cooler seas.
    I can't see any sign for a beast from the east any time soon.
    With this in mind listening to this radio documentary on the winter of 1947 it seems it was the best and worst of times for people who experienced it.

Expecting all rain here tomorrow. I wouldn’t say there’s any need for this thread to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

I’ve zero interest in a beast from the east
    That’s a London and SE England obsession
    It’s as rare as hens teeth anyway
    There’s a myth that a beast from the east is good for snow in Ireland ,it is sometimes for battleground events (incoming sliding Atlantic systems like the majestic jan 1982) but again they are very rare
    Snow showers from easterlies depend on fetch which is why if cold enough Dublin likes them as from Liverpool bay across is enough fetch

I’m more interested in A beast from the northeast which is not to be ruled out AT ALL at some point in the coming weeks with the current pattern as geography prevails all points bitterly come into play,they’ve a lot more bite than easterlies and usually more disturbed because you can get North Sea disturbances re fired up on hitting the Irish Sea if you follow?

Anyhow I digress
    BBC news24 has the snow over inland north west Leinster west & south ulster and ne Connaught before quickly turning back to rain
    Rain mostly elsewhere preceded maybe by a little hill snow

• Advertisement

I don’t know what kind of a warning that is from Met Eireann for tomorrow.

Met E have issued a warning
    Snow-ice Warning for Connacht, Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Dublin, Kildare, Laois, Longford, Louth, Wicklow, Offaly, Westmeath, Meath, Kerry, Limerick and Tipperary
    For a time on Thursday and Thursday and night, there’ll be patchy accumulations of up to 3 cm of snow, especially on high ground, but small amounts at lower levels also.

Occurring for at time in parts of Munster between 7 am and 4 pm
    and for a time in parts of Leinster, Connacht and Ulster from 4 pm onwards.

Rain will soon follow, clearing any snow.

I’ve zero interest in a beast from the east
    That’s a London and SE England obsession
    It’s as rare as hens teeth anyway
    There’s a myth that a beast from the east is good for snow in Ireland ,it is sometimes for battleground events (incoming sliding Atlantic systems like the majestic jan 1982) but again they are very rare
    Snow showers from easterlies depend on fetch which is why if cold enough Dublin likes them as from Liverpool bay across is enough fetch

I’m more interested in A beast from the northeast which is not to be ruled out AT ALL at some point in the coming weeks with the current pattern as geography prevails all points bitterly come into play,they’ve a lot more bite than easterlies and usually more disturbed because you can get North Sea disturbances re fired up on hitting the Irish Sea if you follow?

It's true a strictly easterly sourced airmass usually tends to mean dry and cold weather for us.
    By a beast from the east i was referring to a north easterly airmass, or what we commonly call a beast from the east. I don't see any signs for that over the next few weeks. Although i note M.T. Cranium in his winter forecast cited mid to late January as the best chance for more sustained cold. His winter forecast of cold polar maritime air masses being a dominant theme , with increased chances for snow in the north and northwest, seems to have been a good call so far.

Met E have issued a warning

It's annoying that it will turn back to rain, but it would be nice to see a couple of hours of snowfall anyway.

It's annoying that it will turn back to rain, but it would be nice to see a couple of hours of snowfall anyway.

Ye..Hirlam keeps some pep in the first front- which would bring snow..

hirlamuk-1-38-0.png?27-11

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Strange weather warning all right, could be that the timing of the second rain front is not nailed down yet, if you had enough time between the two fronts you might have some lying snow and lower temperatures giving a bit more snow fall in the second front

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Very heavy wind and snow here in Offaly right now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note:Update Thread title to reflect Met Eireann Warning.

National Weather Warnings

STATUS YELLOW

Snow-ice Warning for Connacht, Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Dublin, Kildare, Laois, Longford, Louth, Wicklow, Offaly, Westmeath, Meath, Kerry, Limerick and Tipperary
    For a time on Thursday and Thursday night, there’ll be patchy accumulations of up to 3 cm of snow, especially on high ground, but small amounts at lower levels also.

Occurring for a time in parts of Munster between 7 am and 4 pm
    and for a time in parts of Leinster, Connacht and Ulster from 4 pm onwards.

Rain will soon follow, clearing any snow.

Issued:Wednesday 27 December 2017 13:00
    Valid:Thursday 28 December 2017 07:00 to Friday 29 December 2017 06:00

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

A cold night in store. It will be interesting to see where it snows. You would think a good few places getting a wintry mix at least, rain will probably keep lower ground snow from lasting long but could very well settle on higher ground.

nmm_uk1-41-14-4_dly6.png

tempresult_xxq3.gif

tempresult_hpm8.gif

tempresult_tna6.gif

tempresult_rql1.gif

arpegeuk-45-41-0_iqp9.png

aromehd-45-42-0_hng4.png

The Scottish ski resort must be doing well of late. They will probably have snow all the time in the next few days with these systems passing through. The north of England, especially over high ground, too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭sjb25

Driving from Wexford to Donegal tommorow morning mite be a bit of craic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Could this be anything like 2010. Do we need to think about sticking up on salt, water and oils and other essentials?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,078 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    Could this be anything like 2010. Do we need to think about sticking up on salt, water and oils and other essentials?

Seriously?

Everytime there's a shower of snow forecast you ask if this is 2010!

A quick read of the forecast will tell you that the snow is very short lived, will be washed away quite quickly and an accumulation of 3cm isn't exactly much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

sweet j

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Jobs OXO wrote:

Are you for real? Just check out the actual forecast on met.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Seriously?

Everytime there's a shower of snow forecast you ask if this is 2010!

A quick read of the forecast will tell you that the snow is very short lived, will be washed away quite quickly and an accumulation of 3cm isn't exactly much.

Ok ok. Just checking. We were all caught out the last time.

Ok ok. Just checking. We were all caught out the last time.

Mod Note: Quit it Jobs OXO. See forum charter 5. No trolling/goading posts which serve only to aggravate other users.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

New warning, brief mention of Snow only.

STATUS YELLOW

Snow-ice Warning for Ireland
    A widespread severe frost Wednesday night/Thursday morning leading to icy conditions on untreated surfaces.
    Some showers of snow also.

Issued:Wednesday 27 December 2017 21:00
    Valid:Wednesday 27 December 2017 21:00 to Thursday 28 December 2017 21:00

• Registered Users Posts: 18,078 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Was about to post it OB!

Very underwhelming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

New warning, brief mention of Snow only.

STATUS YELLOW

Snow-ice Warning for Ireland
    A widespread severe frost Wednesday night/Thursday morning leading to icy conditions on untreated surfaces.
    Some showers of snow also.

Issued:Wednesday 27 December 2017 21:00
    Valid:Wednesday 27 December 2017 21:00 to Thursday 28 December 2017 21:00

I would see that as hedging bets more than anything.

Advertisement