Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cryptocurrency = helicopter money?

• 22-12-2017 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Central banks have looked into the idea of helicopter money in the past. Could cryptocurrency be a covert initiative amongst central banks to distribute wealth and get people spending again? As far as I know, it's not known who actually invented cryptocurrency.
    Maybe this thread belongs in the conspiracy theory forum... Was just something that occured to me today

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭dashoonage

man i thought you'd bought a helicopter....

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

dashoonage wrote: »
    man i thought you'd bought a helicopter....

Haha sorry for the confusion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,086 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Isn't it having the opposite effect, its taking cash out of circulation and people are hoarding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Central banks have looked into the idea of helicopter money in the past. Could cryptocurrency be a covert initiative amongst central banks to distribute wealth and get people spending again? As far as I know, it's not known who actually invented cryptocurrency.
    Maybe this thread belongs in the conspiracy theory forum... Was just something that occured to me today
    No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Shauny2010

Bitcoin will not be used for helicopter money. But it is a real possibility in the future with this growing debt mountain that we could get a collapse in the current monitory system. At which point Helicopter money would be real, and the printing money would reach hyper inflation levels. It is the only possible way to get rid of all the debt.
    Best have some real Gold, Silver and bitcoin stored away for yourself :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

Isn't it having the opposite effect, its taking cash out of circulation and people are hoarding it.

True I suppose. I was thinking of people sitting on cash in the bank earning zero interest and deciding to have a bit of a gamble...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

S92 costs about €40M. So if you bought when it was $0.05 to the tune of 1000 bucks and sold today at $16,000 you'd have 320,000,000$. Thats 6 and a bit helicopters.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,725 ✭✭✭✭unkel

ED E wrote: »
    S92 costs about €40M. So if you bought when it was $0.05 to the tune of 1000 bucks and sold today at $16,000 you'd have 320,000,000$. Thats 6 and a bit helicopters.

A proper helicopter for half the price of a cheap Chinese quadcopter. Not bad :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Shauny2010 wrote: »
    Bitcoin will not be used for helicopter money. But it is a real possibility in the future with this growing debt mountain that we could get a collapse in the current monitory system. At which point Helicopter money would be real, and the printing money would reach hyper inflation levels. It is the only possible way to get rid of all the debt.
    Best have some real Gold, Silver and bitcoin stored away for yourself :)

It's actually more likely that a collapse of cryptos would occur (for example regulation could decimate their secondary market value) than a collapse of current fiat systems in progressive countries or the precious metals market

Systemic economic crises (like 1929 and 2007) are rare enough, and much of the world has taken significant action since the last one (overhaul of regulation, credit, risk, stress tests, etc)

Still, it may be early days, relatively far away from such a crypto crash, so it's good to have skin in the game. Make hay while the sun shines and all that.

Advertisement