Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Ripple Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

DANNY2014 wrote: »
    No theory this is all 100% speculative nobody knows where anything is going... 2018 will be nuts for altcoins imo... Not just ripple... It's all one big gamble a game of wait and see... Don't put in what you can't afford to lose...

You need to have a theory, or suspicion, or something more than gut feeling.

BTC will persist because its BTC. LTC is a maybe. BCH/BTG are both on unsteady ground. Eth has potential to be useful so is a safe long game.

Ripple is a mess tbh, not a full CC in the normal sense. Could easily go the way of DOGE/YAC etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Carroller

I don't have much XRP I'm just in it for the ride, but a quick question. Mine is currently on binance exchange. I understand it's not entirely safe on the exchange so let's say if I move it to toast wallet for ripple it will coast 20XRP. My remaining XRP will they continue to go up and down in price like they do on the exchange. Or do I only lob it on the exchange to sell them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

How does this question keep coming up for all the coins?!

It doesn't matter where you hold your coins. The value of a ripple is the value of a ripple (it will obviously vary depending on what exchange you check) whether you keep it in an exchange, in a wallet, on a piece of paper stuck up your arse etc.

Think about a euro. Whether it's in the bank, or sitting in PayPal or in a coin in your pocket, that doesn't affect how many dollars you can get for that euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,003 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

It doesn't matter where you hold your coins. The value of a ripple is the value of a ripple (it will obviously vary depending on what exchange you check) whether you keep it in an exchange, in a wallet, on a piece of paper stuck up your arse etc.

Think about a euro. Whether it's in the bank, or sitting in PayPal or in a coin in your pocket, that doesn't affect how many dollars you can get for that euro.

XRP is slightly different in that you lose 20 of them for each wallet/address you have.

But yeah other than that its value is its value.
    I think people are confusing exchanges with banks giving them interest or something...

Yeah but the 20 XRP is essentially just a fee. The value of each unit that you have doesn't change just because you've moved it from one place to another!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,003 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Yeah but the 20 XRP is essentially just a fee. The value of each unit that you have doesn't change just because you've moved it from one place to another!

Agreed, but you lose 20 for every wallet, so having xrp on 5 exchanges and a wallet is choosing you 120 xrp.
    Just something to be aware of.

Yup, anyway, back to good news. It's absolutely flying again. Good old bouncbackability.

Just wanted to be sure. Better off asking here than getting a million different answers through Google. Still new to this craic as I'm sure many others are so likely won't be the last time it's asked too. Just wasn't sure of the actual benefits of leaving it in the market. But as you said it's flying again so back to positive talk :)

Benefit of leaving it on the market is ability to sell it quicker. It may be less secure than a wallet. Keeping it in a wallet will be more secure but if you want to sell you've obviously got to get it onto an exchange first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Hey guys,

I currently have a coinbase account and have a bit of bitcoin, ethereum and litecoin. I now want to add a bit of ripple but bitrex is closed for new accounts for the time being. Any suggestions of other reputable exchanges to purchase ripple on?

• Advertisement

Binance. Move LTC there from coinbase. Trade it for BTC. Trade the BTC for XRP.

Binance. Move LTC there from coinbase. Trade it for BTC. Trade the BTC for XRP.

Can XRP be purchased through LTC or is it BTC only?

Can XRP be purchased through LTC or is it BTC only?

I bought ETH though coinbase, transferred it to binance and traded it straight for XRP

You can purchase it through BTC, ETH or USDT. No LTC/XRP market.

Thanks guys,

I appreciate the quick responses

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭millhouse

Would santa be good to everyone this year and get ripple to 1 Euro? Merry Xmas ripplers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

millhouse wrote: »
    Would santa be good to everyone this year and get ripple to 1 Euro? Merry Xmas ripplers

Just broke the €1 ceiling and that's after some consolidation, so are we looking at a new floor?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Just broke the €1 ceiling and that's after some consolidation, so are we looking at a new floor?

What exchange are you on ? it seems to be a magical and wonderful place ahead of all the others...

not doubting you or anything......i just want in :P

Yeah, I haven't seen it anywhere near a euro for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sell my free XRP that I got back in '13/14 or hope it goes stratospheric in 3-5yrs? Really not sure.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Sell my free XRP that I got back in '13/14 or hope it goes stratospheric in 3-5yrs? Really not sure.

It might do no harm to hold for at least the first month or two of 2018 and watch how it performs in that time. Especially if you got it for free in the first place.

There's just something telling me that if banks want this Ripple tech to succeed, it will. So far, Ripple tech is in use in over 200 Japanese banks. A small fraction of banks no doubt, but it's a start. American Express introduced it to their services in November. It's getting itself out there.

If you can afford to hold, hold for as long as you can, first two months of 2018 minimum. Maybe cover yourself with a limit order to sell at around $0.75c in the meantime just in case the shít hits the fan.

Edit: Just seen that it hit $1.12 today and has been sitting there for a few hours now. Sure, if you got the XRP for free and have a decent amount of it, you can profit right now. However, I bought in at 80c and believe in the tech. I'm holding for the long-term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

This is a good explanation, but Tether can go below a dollar it is not way linked to the Dollar, it has the potential to destroy the crypto market imo if people assume its = USD.

Your method of swapping to BTC and then to Coinbase is sound but expensive, you'll pay 2% swapping from BTC to Euro on Coinbase, and another fee when you finally withdraw. This is massive imo.

0% for a limit order on GDAX if executed properly. 15 cent to withdraw the money back to your bank account

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭rekcaks

Has anyone used eToro to buy XRP?

Or suggest an exchange to buy? It will be the first time I'm buying in so I don't have other coins to exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

rekcaks wrote: »
    Or suggest an exchange to buy? It will be the first time I'm buying in so I don't have other coins to exchange.

Buy ETH on coinbase, transfer to Bittrex and purchase Ripple there. Less fees and quicker doing it with ETH instead of BTC.

DVD-Lots wrote: »
    Buy ETH on coinbase, transfer to Bittrex and purchase Ripple there. Less fees and quicker doing it with ETH instead of BTC.

Great thanks! How do I tranfer to Bittrex?

Set up an account on Bittrex...

Set up an account on Bittrex...

Bittrex aren't taking new sign ups! 😞

Then wait. Or use a different exchange.

• Advertisement

Has anyone else got a good exchange site they use?

Advertisement