Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you need for Gaelic football?

• 20-12-2017 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey I’m starting Gaelic football and still not sure what i need what do I 100% need and what’s optional ? Shin guards? Astro football boots? Same socks as soccer? Would be appreciated if someone could tell me what I do need for definite and what would be optional :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

A touch of ignorance about you is a great help !!!

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Cleaningfreak

I’m really sorry but what are you talking about?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Hey I’m starting Gaelic football and still not sure what i need what do I 100% need and what’s optional ? Shin guards? Astro football boots? Same socks as soccer? Would be appreciated if someone could tell me what I do need for definite and what would be optional :)

best have 2 pairs of boots, one with regular studs and ones with moulded studs as a lot of the games will be over wet and dry season. Most moulded boots now are regarded as best boots to wear on astro turf if your team has an astro pitch surface to use.

Same shorts and socks as soccer, but in your club colours. You wont need shin guards. You will need a mouth guard. You can pick up decent and relatively cheap ones in most sports shops that you place in boiling water and it moulds to your teeth. You could also get a fully fitted one from dentists, but to start out, probably no need for that expense. You will need a decent pair of gloves. Everyone has their own personal preference with these, mine is for tight small gloves that arent bulky, ie not soccer goalkeeper ones.

and just the normal gear for training, tops and jerseys and if winter training, see about warm undergear and hats too. Quite often sales for that kind of gear in Aldi or Lidl which work well.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

bruschi wrote: »
    You will need a decent pair of gloves. Everyone has their own personal preference with these, mine is for tight small gloves that arent bulky, ie not soccer goalkeeper ones.

Sorry if Im explaining the obvious to you but when the poster said gloves he means gaelic football gloves not just standard "keep your hands warm" gloves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I'll second the ignorance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

If you like your head and neck as they are, dont ever attempt to head a ball. Ever!

Enjoy.

I'll second the ignorance!

I’m really sorry but I’m not sure who your talking about I have never been ignorant on here

If you like your head and neck as they are, dont ever attempt to head a ball. Ever!

Enjoy.

😂 grand thanks a mill

SexBobomb wrote: »
    Sorry if Im explaining the obvious to you but when the poster said gloves he means gaelic football gloves not just standard "keep your hands warm" gloves

Yes I know but thanks for the heads up :)

best have 2 pairs of boots, one with regular studs and ones with moulded studs as a lot of the games will be over wet and dry season. Most moulded boots now are regarded as best boots to wear on astro turf if your team has an astro pitch surface to use.

Same shorts and socks as soccer, but in your club colours. You wont need shin guards. You will need a mouth guard. You can pick up decent and relatively cheap ones in most sports shops that you place in boiling water and it moulds to your teeth. You could also get a fully fitted one from dentists, but to start out, probably no need for that expense. You will need a decent pair of gloves. Everyone has their own personal preference with these, mine is for tight small gloves that arent bulky, ie not soccer goalkeeper ones.

and just the normal gear for training, tops and jerseys and if winter training, see about warm undergear and hats too. Quite often sales for that kind of gear in Aldi or Lidl which work well.

I’m not sure what you mean about the boots could you explain a bit more I just thought there was Astro boots and boots with studs i don’t know what you mean by regular and moulded and thanks I thought you did need shin guards and just got a gum shield and will get the rest tomorrow:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I’m not sure what you mean about the boots could you explain a bit more I just thought there was Astro boots and boots with studs i don’t know what you mean by regular and moulded and thanks I thought you did need shin guards and just got a gum shield and will get the rest tomorrow:)

That's basically it, astro boots are moulded, they have plastic, bladed studs as opposed to the round, metal tipped grass studs

If you're not going to be playing on astro turf I wouldn't bother getting two pairs of boots, not to start anyways, 15 years playing football and never needed more than one pair at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Boots for soft ground have proper studs. They will say SG on the description as opposed to FG firm ground. My son loves buying boots!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭passremarkable

You also need shaper tape for your socks and guns!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

You also need shaper tape for your socks and guns!!

Jesus, I really, really hope that's a typo. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,091 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

What level are you playing? You could need a beer belly and 20 cigarettes for some levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Enjoy.
    why?
    a goal scored with the head counts.
    I've seen it done!

anyway.
    an ability to kick the ball with either feet would be a big help

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

.... warm undergear and hats

And there my friends lies the reason for our current global domination.. "warm undergear and hats.." What about fkn ear muffs and hot water bottles?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Bonniedog wrote: »
    .... warm undergear and hats

And there my friends lies the reason for our current global domination.. "warm undergear and hats.." What about fkn ear muffs and hot water bottles?

You just sound like a stick in the mud aul codger who thinks lads these days have it easy. Sure you'd be better off freezing and getting sick than actually wearing gear that helps.

Oh, and this too by the way...

https://www.dublingaa.ie/news/skins-dnamic-launch-with-cian-osullivan

1455032122-cian-skins.jpg

1305936.jpg

1079432.jpg

feature-skinsdublin.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I knew I should have attached one of these lads :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    why?

Because it ****ing hurts! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

With the sponsorship money we have installed underground heating under the whole county. Bigger population generates more bodily heat also.

Advertisement