Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaa Ball wall

• 18-12-2017 9:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I’ll be in Waterford city over the Christmas.

Will be mad to get out of the house for an hour or 2 over the holidays.

Does anyone know of any ball wall in Waterford city that will be open to public on 24th, 25th and 26th December ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Bumpy bump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

De la salle college have two small handball alleys and ballygunner have a big court out there which is good for hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

De La Salle isn't open to the public to use. It's a school.

Thanks for comments.

So Ballygunner could be an option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Thanks for comments.

So Ballygunner could be an option?

No bother with ballygunner no one will put in or out on ya

• Advertisement

debok wrote: »
    No bother with ballygunner no one will put in or out on ya

Is it hard to find or obvious ?

Is it a proper ball wall ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Is it hard to find or obvious ?

Is it a proper ball wall ?

It's like handball alley but with wall at either end and Astro turf . Go up to ballygunner and its on right hand side of big arena as your facing it .

It's like handball alley but with wall at either end and Astro turf . Go up to ballygunner and its on right hand side of big arena as your facing it .

Aaaaaww nice, Astro surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

The walls in DLS school are handy, the gates to the school are usually open during the day even when the school is closed. I'd be surprised if you had an issue getting in there. The alleys are up at the back of the grounds, near Newtown school and beside the main road

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    The walls in DLS school are handy, the gates to the school are usually open during the day even when the school is closed. I'd be surprised if you had an issue getting in there. The alleys are up at the back of the grounds, near Newtown school and beside the main road

Sorry. Not overly familiar with Waterford. Where is DLS and Newtown? Suburbs ofvwaterford is it ?

• Advertisement

Daisy 55 wrote: »
    De La Salle isn't open to the public to use. It's a school.

Gates are always open and i use it often, school or no school. Never been an issue.

Sorry. Not overly familiar with Waterford. Where is DLS and Newtown? Suburbs ofvwaterford is it ?

DLS school and its alleys are beside the peoples park. Go down the quay, turn left at tower hotel and head towards dunmore. Just past the park is DLS school. Their is a side entrance to the school and the alleys can be seen once you go through the side entrance.

Thanks. Is it near the church in Ballygunner? It’s the only place I know in Ballygunner or is it actually within Ballygunner Gaa grounds/club?

What’s the arena ?

Sorry for all the questions. I’m not familiar with the area and can picture myself driving around like a spanner looking for an arena etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭914

Thanks. Is it near the church in Ballygunner? It’s the only place I know in Ballygunner or is it actually within Ballygunner Gaa grounds/club?

What’s the arena ?

Sorry for all the questions. I’m not familiar with the area and can picture myself driving around like a spanner looking for an arena etc

Comimg up ballygunner hill from the dunmore road. Church is on your left.

Continue straight up the hill amd straight through the traffic lights. Housing estate will be on your right.

Just passed the housing estate as you gonober a speed bump, you will see the entrance, enter there (sign on the wall saying "Ballygunner community gym" and you are then in the ballygunner gaa complex. Before the entrance they're are paking spaces and a line of trees.

If you somehow pass the entrance and are at ballygunner school the entrace is right beside the school.

914 wrote: »

Continue straight up the hill amd straight through the traffic lights. Housing estate will be on your right.

Just passed the housing estate as you gonober a speed bump, you will see the entrance, enter there (sign on the wall saying "Ballygunner community gym" and you are then in the ballygunner gaa complex. Before the entrance they're are paking spaces and a line of trees.

If you somehow pass the entrance and are at ballygunner school the entrace is right beside the school.

Thanks a million !!

Mount Sion GAA also have a astro turf hurling alley. If your looking to pass a few hours out of the house you could also pop into the clubhouse for a mineral or alcoholic drink. The clubhouse has a lovely bar with plenty of historic pictures and cups to browse through.

The lads are always very welcoming to people from outside the club.

Drop the lads a message and they'll most likely have someone meet you and show your around

http://mountsiongaa.ie/contact/

You could also contact them via facebook and twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Maybe some Google maps would help the op find these destinations folks? I 'll try do it in a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Alpha Centauri

The DLS school alleys are locked, and i'm pretty sure the Ballygunner alley gate gets locked too, as does MS, so I dont think its as simple as rocking up and pucking away

The DLS school alleys are locked, and i'm pretty sure the Ballygunner alley gate gets locked too, as does MS, so I dont think its as simple as rocking up and pucking away

Your most likely rights that's why i put down the contact details for mount sion so the OP could drop a message and enquire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Exiled1

Ferrybank have a very good ball playing 'arena', best in area. Well worth taking a look. Most likely open through the winter days. @FerrybankGAA
    1km from Rice Bridge.

Thanks for all the posts. Ye are a helpful bunch !

Sounds like the places could most likely have the gates locked etc (to be expected given the time of year)

But I may give them a try anyways. Might start with Ballygunner and work from there. (I’ll be in ballinakill)

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Thanks for all the posts. Ye are a helpful bunch !

Sounds like the places could most likely have the gates locked etc (to be expected given the time of year)

But I may give them a try anyways. Might start with Ballygunner and work from there. (I’ll be in ballinakill)

Down visiting the lack's parents are ya? Could do with an hour or 2 pucking a ball alright!!

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    Down visiting the lack's parents are ya? Could do with an hour or 2 pucking a ball alright!!

Exactly. Lol.

Might be 3 hours, will see how things are ;)

914 wrote: »

Had a drive up there tonight for a nose. Drove in the entrance ”Ballygunner community gym” (gate was open)

Big enough spot, was just in car and was hard to see. Seen a pitch and an Astro area I think. But didn’t see a ball wall as such. Probably just cause dark and hard to see etc.

DLS school and its alleys are beside the peoples park. Go down the quay, turn left at tower hotel and head towards dunmore. Just past the park is DLS school. Their is a side entrance to the school and the alleys can be seen once you go through the side entrance.

Found the 2 alleys in DLS. but both gates were locked just now :(

It's a school. They are there for the use of pupils attending the school. They're locked because adults were going in using them. The main gates are open because people live there. It would be like going into someone's back garden because the front gate is open!

Can't think of an alternative though OP. Sorry!

Daisy 55 wrote: »
    It's a school. They are there for the use of pupils attending the school. They're locked because adults were going in using them. The main gates are open because people live there. It would be like going into someone's back garden because the front gate is open!

Fair enough.

• Advertisement
Advertisement