Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Railway Square Parking

Options
  • 18-12-2017 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭

For all the fancy work they are doing with the one-way system it's just typical of council to not do something about the ignorant people who decide to park outside the cinema in the middle of the road.

Councils are usually good at putting up bollards in the wrong place but in the place they are most needed they won't put them there and block people from using half the footpath as a parking space. When Tesco starting charging it will be worse.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

It's mad, it was a condition of planning that there was a car park like Aldi in the Glen, but when nobody uses it and parks outside, nothing happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I'm guessing those 8 spaces outside of TK Maxx are free? I doubt I've ever seen a parking ticket on them.

There are only space for about 8 cars there, but you'd see about 12 cars trying to fit onto that kerb in anyway possible. Some cars park so close to the building on the footpath, that it's impossible to use the footpath with a buggy, leading us to walk out onto the road when have to go past.

I'm sure bollards will be put put up there soon. They are working on the footpath outside Tesco's Delivery wall, so may see something.

Also, parking guy in Tesco car park being very up front with people when they're parking their cars in their carpark and walking straight over to TK Maxx/Odeon. Noticed 5 people being stopped in 1 minute on Sunday. Not quite understanding how you can pay in the carpark yet seeing the pay machines are wrapped up in plastic, but I think you have to spend a certain amount of money in Tesco, or stay a limited amount of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭inna981

Completely agree with the parking outside TK Maxx and Odeon. There’s always one car parked with one wheel on the path at the door of TK Maxx. I would nearly prefer that space to be only for workers at Odeon / TK Maxx or a delivery bay.
    At the Tesco wall, across the road can get crowded with other parked cars as well after about 12 every weekday. But we might see something different now.

Anyone know when they’ll start charging for parking at Tesco?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

iseegirls wrote:
    Also, parking guy in Tesco car park being very up front with people when they're parking their cars in their carpark and walking straight over to TK Maxx/Odeon. Noticed 5 people being stopped in 1 minute on Sunday. Not quite understanding how you can pay in the carpark yet seeing the pay machines are wrapped up in plastic, but I think you have to spend a certain amount of money in Tesco, or stay a limited amount of time.

He's always been fairly up front, but he is only doing his job in all fairness. I guess they 'need' to implement a payment system as that car park is 'always' jammed! Rent extraction comes to mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    He's always been fairly up front, but he is only doing his job in all fairness. I guess they 'need' to implement a payment system as that car park is 'always' jammed! Rent extraction comes to mind!

I don't think it gets jammed at all. The triangle of spaces and the first row nearest Odeon would be full alright, but there is always plenty of spaces past that.

I don't mind him doing his job, but I just think if Tesco would rather go down the paying for parking route, they may have been better off putting in barriers. Spend over 10/20e, get your parking free. that would be a lot clearer. At the moment, it's just confusing for people who see the signs that it's pay for parking, yet the paymachines are covered up for the past month or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Passed by a little while ago and there's something happening to the path outside Tesco, where you mention people often park. I'm not sure what, but it was cordoned off and there was some kind of work underway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

JohnC. wrote: »
    Passed by a little while ago and there's something happening to the path outside Tesco, where you mention people often park. I'm not sure what, but it was cordoned off and there was some kind of work underway.

In the munster express last week tesco have applied for planning permission to demolish the whole building and build a new store with cafe and a few other things,maybe they are starting already?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,046 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I gather the idea is that you park, go in and do your shopping then if you want to stay longer you put your receipt in the window of your car and you can have 2 hours. Not the most efficient system, and I may have it wrong, but that is the version I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Shoppers in Tesco either get time free or refunded the charge before they exit the store, I honestly can't remember the plan. I assume they will start it in the NY and not right before Christmas.

I really hope it's addressed asap or just by total accident my elbow might slip and damage a wing mirror next time I am around!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭JohnC.

You get your parking refunded when you shop there. It's on the signs. There is a minimum spend, though I've forgotten what it is now. Also a maximum refund, though it's a few hours worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

looksee wrote: »
    I gather the idea is that you park, go in and do your shopping then if you want to stay longer you put your receipt in the window of your car and you can have 2 hours. Not the most efficient system, and I may have it wrong, but that is the version I heard.

I think you will need to pay and display and then (up to a maximum amount) it is refunded at the till with a minimum spend. Same system as the Hyper SuperValu.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fargojones123

I think you will need to pay and display and then (up to a maximum amount) it is refunded at the till with a minimum spend. Same system as the Hyper SuperValu.

Yeah, that's how it is going to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

It will probably similar to the Hyper where you pay then get refunded if you spend more then €40 I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

has anyone ever gotten a ticket for not paying for parking in the hyper

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I've seen a few car clamped there over the year, maybe 3, but i only realised recently that's it's paid parking 24/7. I only every pop over around 8 pm at night so hadn't being paying but will in future.

Advertisement