Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone forget the password to their wallet.dat file?

• 17-12-2017 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Heard some horrible stories.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I find most of the stories pretty entertaining. Like if they didn't lose their password or hard drive or whatever they'd be millionaires. I'd say 99%+ of the time it's bull**** and they would have sold a long time ago and maybe got a decent car out of it. People just love there what ifs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

I've left a lot of bitcoin on now defunct exchanges or cloud mining or equally silly things. I'd say I've lost about 10k, but nothing to make me cry over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Anita M.

I lost the codes to my old wallet on a site but have a new one. Lost near to nothing. I buy bitcoin to replace if you have any for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,027 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

scopper wrote: »
    I've left a lot of bitcoin on now defunct exchanges or cloud mining or equally silly things. I'd say I've lost about 10k, but nothing to make me cry over.

10k?
    So half of one coin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

GreeBo wrote: »
    10k?
    So half of one coin?

Half a coin in dust over the years, yes, easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭covfefe

I remember reading about this guy who bought 9000 Bitcoins back in 2010, he was security conscious so used a live linux CD when transacting. With the 9000 BTC in his wallet, he backed the wallet.dat up, he then sent a test 1 BTC transaction to himself and closed down everything. When he restored his backup he only had 1 BTC.

The issue was that he didn't backup the wallet.dat after the test transaction and back then wallets were't as mature as they are now (e.g. no HD wallets) so you had to be careful about change addresses, the 8999 BTC were spent to a change address that he no longer controlled so they were gone for ever!

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=782.5

I've also spent some time reading the following thread which is a list of a lot of major losses and hacks (it's out of date now though):

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=576337

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

covfefe wrote: »
    I remember reading about this guy who bought 9000 Bitcoins back in 2010, he was security conscious so used a live linux CD when transacting. With the 9000 BTC in his wallet, he backed the wallet.dat up, he then sent a test 1 BTC transaction to himself and closed down everything. When he restored his backup he only had 1 BTC.

The issue was that he didn't backup the wallet.dat after the test transaction and back then wallets were't as mature as they are now (e.g. no HD wallets) so you had to be careful about change addresses, the 8999 BTC were spent to a change address that he no longer controlled so they were gone for ever!

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=782.5

I've also spent some time reading the following thread which is a list of a lot of major losses and hacks (it's out of date now though):

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=576337

Yeah now that would be a total life altering disaster. But back then 9000 btc was prob about $10.

Advertisement