Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Disney just bought 21st century fox

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Of course the real reason Disney bought Fox is because they can return the Fox logo and music to its rightful place ahead of the Star Wars films.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

We'll have to see if it passes regulators. Good chance it might not considering the AT&T and Time Warner stuff.

If it does, Disney are by far and away the biggest player in TV and film.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

titan18 wrote: »
    We'll have to see if it passes regulators. Good chance it might not considering the AT&T and Time Warner stuff.

If it does, Disney are by far and away the biggest player in TV and film.

It'll have some challenges in the US for sure, but elsewhere it wont be a problem.

Every 2 out of 5 cinema seats will now be disneys, but i imagine they'll get around that by funding indies and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It'll have some challenges in the US for sure, but elsewhere it wont be a problem.

Every 2 out of 5 cinema seats will now be disneys, but i imagine they'll get around that by funding indies and such.

If it's an issue in the US, it won't happen anywhere else though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

A done deal as of today..!

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/disney/21st-century-fox-officially-announces-that-the-disney-acquisition-is-now-a-done-deal-a167237

It's official! Though it was initially reported that the Disney-Fox deal would be finalized by late 2018, we recently got word that everything would be ironed out by mid-March, and 21st Century Fox has just announced that it has completed the distribution of all issued and outstanding shares in connection with the Disney acquisition.

Disney's acquisition of 21CF will become effective at 12:02 a.m. Eastern Time tomorrow, March 20, 2019.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

ZZ41002CAC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

That's good

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ergh; that's a helluva monopoly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

branie2 wrote: »
    That's good

Nope, the continued monopoly Disney enjoys over pop culture is not a good thing. Having one company in charge of a considerable majority of films being released into multiplexes is something to be distrusted. The X-Men showing up in Avengers 5 or whatever is far more insignificant than the continued dominance of a corporation intent on shaping 75% of the blockbuster landscape to their specifications,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Tefral

Really hope they keep an R rated superhero section going under Marvel MAXX or even the Fox Brand. Disney themselves wouldn't be seen releasing something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Nope, the continued monopoly Disney enjoys over pop culture is not a good thing. Having one company in charge of a considerable majority of films being released into multiplexes is something to be distrusted. The X-Men showing up in Avengers 5 or whatever is far more insignificant than the continued dominance of a corporation intent on shaping 75% of the blockbuster landscape to their specifications,
    If the Americans ever regrow their balls on the issue of monopolies, Disney would be an obvious choice to break up. I'm not holding my breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

mikhail wrote: »
    If the Americans ever regrow their balls on the issue of monopolies, Disney would be an obvious choice to break up. I'm not holding my breath.
    I don't think so. At least not in regards to splitting up the movie making sections. If they were to force Disney to split, it would be to separate the creation from the delivery, so all the movies would still be made by Disney, it would be their streaming and distribution business that would be split off. That's tended to be the areas the US has liked to keep separate, and least in the entertainment industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Oh dear. Still one can also admire what Disney have achieved (subject to being cleared of course) - in early 80s they were on the floor. All the principles that had worked so well for them had been abandoned or forgotten, the tenure of Walts son in law Ron W. Miller was pretty disastrous with shoddy animated features and succession of fantasy flicks with big budgets which flopped - The Black Hole, Condorman, Watcher in the Woods, Popeye, Tron, Something Wicked this Way Comes and The Black Cauldron. Miller did have one good idea, to create a parallel production company for people who wouldn't be seen dead queuing for a Mickey Mouse film (literally or figuratively).

Thanks to Splash, Down and Out in Beverly Hills and Ruthless People (Touchstone releases) they survived the bath of red ink by the skin of their teeth and now in 2019 they basically own the world of popular entertainment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm sure there is, but anyone come across a comprehensive list of what IPs / pop culture franchises Disney now own, between this Fox acquisition and all their others? Feels like it'll be pretty staggering to behold.

No doubt the Ron Swansons of this world will simply see this as some glorious manifestation of Capitalism in its full pomp. Or it'll be worth it because Wolverine can now hang out with Thor... :rolleyes::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

At least Murdock no longer owns National Geographic now!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I read about it from Variety last night. Disney is now a powerful entertainment force in the world in that it now owns most of the assets previously owned by 21st CF. Most of the Fox properties are now also being considered for inclusion in the new Disney+ streaming service later this year. I don't know what the reaction will be like when it's launched to the public by then. It will be become a very significant move towards further profitability for Disney in the medium to long term now that Fox is now officially owned by Mickey Mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Is it really a monopoly though ? Yes they own a lot of stuff now

But there is still Warner Brothers, Sony, Universal, Paramount and plenty others and there will be always be indie films

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

But there is still Warner Brothers, Sony, Universal, Paramount and plenty others and there will be always be indie films
    They control something like 40% of the industry I read, so that gives them a lot of power. If they were to start abusing their position (limiting other studio films theatres could show, stopping directors/actors working for other studios, etc.), which they now have the power to do, it could lead to problems...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

If I owned a cinema, I could probably afford to say no to Sony if they demanded something unreasonable. If I did the same to Disney, my business is dead. That's a monopoly.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Hulu just bought out AT&T'S 10% stake in it for $1.5B.

That now gives Disney a 70% ownership of Hulu with NBC Universal owning the other 30%

Disney and Comcast owners of NBC must now control the majority of film and TV in the western world.

Comcast bought Sky here in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Disney and Comcast owners of NBC must now control the majority of film and TV in the western world.

Nowhere near, in the case of TV. Of the top 50 rated TV programmes in Ireland in 2018, not one of them were produced by either Disney (including 21st Century Fox) or Comcast (including Sky), nor did any of them air on a network controlled by Disney or Comcast.

In the UK, just six of the top 25 live TV programmes in 2018 aired on networks now controlled by Comcast. All were sports (ie content only transiently owned by Sky). No Disney programmes made the list. No Disney or Comcast programmes made the top 25 on demand programmes. Six of those were aired by ITV plc and all of the others by networks controlled by the State, ie the BBC and Channel 4.

They are big players for sure - but nowhere near in control.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Hollywood Reporter: Multiple Fox Films Getting Axed at Disney
    But even some of those green lights are being met with scrutiny. One source says Horn is questioning the apparent plan to have young characters smoking onscreen in West Side Story. "With Fox, we can make movies that right now I say no to. ... We always have to think about the smoking policy. The audience for a Disney movie may not know what they are going to see, but they know what they aren't going to see," the exec said in a recent interview with THR. "There are certain things we just can't include because we'll get letters."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/multiple-fox-films-getting-axed-at-disney-1204252

Oh, but Wolverine's back with Marvel everyone, yayyyyy

*pixelburp dies from sarcasm overdose*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I heard a rumour last night that Disney+ will cut out the Jim Crow scene out of the original Dumbo film because of racial insensitivity. Disney+ will not show Song of the South on it either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

"When I see an Elephant fly" is the only thing i remember from Dumbo and Disney are going to cut it out?

Not surprising, it was super racist, short of making the crows actual gollywogs. IIRC Dumbo is already quite a short 'film', cuts notwithstanding. Certainly speaks to a desperation on Disneys part to sanitise its own past; which, again, makes their continued dominance in the market a bitter pill to swallow. Mind you, if I was them I'd want to forget Song of the South too.

I think I prefer Warner Bros's way of handling issues like this:

sOklpJa.jpg

That's actually a pretty deft, straightforward way of dealing with those old cartoons' dated elements. Would definitely be a better approach by Disney, and who knows they may yet. A tricky needle to thread to plead their inclusion but could happen. I'd forgotten Tom and Jerry had that old black lady in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Disney is shutting down Fox's animation studio bluesky most well known for the Ice Age franchise https://deadline.com/2021/02/blue-sky-studios-closing-disney-ice-age-franchise-animation-1234690310/

killer is there are not continuing the production of a film that was 75% complete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

Disney is shutting down Fox's animation studio bluesky most well known for the Ice Age franchise https://deadline.com/2021/02/blue-sky-studios-closing-disney-ice-age-franchise-animation-1234690310/

killer is there are not continuing the production of a film that was 75% complete.

They own the IP anyway and can complete or release any of the titles through Disney animation.

I was hoping for another peanuts movie but I think the Shultz family aren’t mad about Disney.

Advertisement