Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N4 - Collooney to Castlebaldwin [open to traffic]

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=103753&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/publictenders

Tender has gone out today for engineering consultancy services for the tender and construction stages of this scheme.

Likely now 2018 start.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Will the planned route have any prohibitions on walking, cycling or very slow vehicles?

Without hard shoulders, it seems unacceptably dangerous to allow vulnerable road users on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Will the planned route have any prohibitions on walking, cycling or very slow vehicles?

Without hard shoulders, it seems unacceptably dangerous to allow vulnerable road users on it.

The old road can be used for that...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Deedsie wrote: »
    Unless it's a motorway both roads will be used for that...

A pedestrian was killed on the M50 last week. It doesn't matter what the designation is, people will do stupid things.

• Advertisement

This is very true. Sadly...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Deedsie wrote: »
    Exactly, motorists, cyclists, pedestrians all do stupid things. Lucernarian commented that our national roads should have hard shoulders to protect vulnerable road users from people who do stupid things.

Banishing cyclists to old roads is plain foolish, building proper roads suitable for everyone should be the policy.
    That isn't what I said, I was criticising vulnerable road users being allowed on the proposed road as things stand. I don't have an opinion on whether a hard shoulder should be built, an offline cycle route built alongside, or a ban on bikes and walking like for motorways if possible.

I don't know the area well but I suspect the old road doesn't have much or any hard shoulder either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It says a lot about the mindset of the nra, when they want to buy land and build a new road for cars, but then say ah sher bikes( despite them being much more vulnerable) can use to old road we decided was inadequate to drive on....
    All new road schemes should have a high quality cycling and pedestrian route constructed as part of the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

It says a lot about the mindset of the nra, when they want to buy land and build a new road for cars, but then say ah sher bikes( despite them being much more vulnerable) can use to old road we decided was inadequate to drive on....
    All new road schemes should have a high quality cycling and pedestrian route constructed as part of the scheme.

But with drastically reduced traffic volume does that road not become more adequate for use?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

The N86 realignment at Annascaul that was done in 2012 has cycle lanes and footpaths on each side.
    I drive that road on a regular basis and not once have I seen a cyclist use them. In fact, any cyclists I've seen use the road as the cycle lane is not "self cleaning " ie it has loose chippings.

In an ideal world we would have someone to sweep and maintain cycle lanes, but we don't even have the money to build decent roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

I think it's crazy to include cycle lanes and not have a hard shoulder, as per the N86 realignment. If your car breaks down, there is nowhere to go but stay on the road, as there is a grass verge between the cycle lane and road.
    Surely it would make more sense to have a hard shoulder, which cyclists, pedestrians and motorists can use, and there is no maintenance required?

Seeing as there are disconnected discussions taking place on the N2, N4 and N25 threads, here's a thread to discuss cyclist provisions on new national road schemes.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057694424/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭roadmaster

" earthworks including soft ground and karst" i like that bit of the tender it will fun for the contractor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

In that link
    Which is the grade separated junction ?
    Is it where the Collooney/Ballygawley roundabout is?
    Or the roundabout for the N17 Tobercurry road?
    Also the two roundabouts in the tender will be located where ?

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

D Trent wrote: »
    In that link
    Which is the grade separated junction ?
    Is it where the Collooney/Ballygawley roundabout is?
    Or the roundabout for the N17 Tobercurry road?
    Also the two roundabouts in the tender will be located where ?

It looks like the only part of the existing N4 DC being touched is the roundabout at Tobberbride on the N4/N17 junction, which will most likely involve a redesign. That and a roundabout at the termination of the DC in Castlebaldwin.

The grade seperated juntion would be aroud Drumfin somewhere to allow access to the Riverstown/Ballymote roads.

That's what I took from the tender anyways.

It looks like the only part of the existing N4 DC being touched is the roundabout at Tobberbride on the N4/N17 junction, which will most likely involve a redesign. That and a roundabout at the termination of the DC in Castlebaldwin.

The grade seperated juntion would be aroud Drumfin somewhere to allow access to the Riverstown/Ballymote roads.

That's what I took from the tender anyways.
    Yep, the planned junction is near Drumfin, around halfway along the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭FredFunk

Sorry, new to this thread, will the scheme bypass Castlebaldwin?

• Advertisement

FredFunk wrote: »
    Sorry, new to this thread, will the scheme bypass Castlebaldwin?
    Yes, it will. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭FredFunk

Thanks, that will a nice flow from Carrick onwards then.

FredFunk wrote: »

Thanks, that will a nice flow from Carrick onwards then.

Absolutely. Be good when Carrick gets bypassed eventually..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Good to see this progressing, are there any plans to bypass Carrick or Newtonforbes in the pipeline?

They're the two main issues with the N4 once this scheme is built. There's also a tiny village with a zebra crossing who's name I forget, not a big bottleneck but a bit ridiculous that one of the main primary routes in the country has to give way to pedestrians

• Registered Users Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

They're the two main issues with the N4 once this scheme is built. There's also a tiny village with a zebra crossing who's name I forget, not a big bottleneck but a bit ridiculous that one of the main primary routes in the country has to give way to pedestrians

Ballinalack?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There needs to be significant effort on the N4 and N15 to work against any potential border risks - the existing roads within the state to Donegal are utterly insufficient.

This is the biggest safety risk and will also provide a decent improvement in guaranteed overtaking opportunities. Carrick BP and then schemes in Donegal are the next priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

L1011 wrote: »
    There needs to be significant effort on the N4 and N15 to work against any potential border risks - the existing roads within the state to Donegal are utterly insufficient.

This is the biggest safety risk and will also provide a decent improvement in guaranteed overtaking opportunities. Carrick BP and then schemes in Donegal are the next priorities.

Theres about 25 km north of Sligo town thats way more important than Newtown Forbes. Carrick in fairness is a terrible bottleneck and if it wasnt for the expense involved in a crossing of the Shannon would have been completed years ago. Unfortunately our government hasnt the foresight to realise the possible implications of Brexit.. The day after they voted out we should have began planning this...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Design & Build tender issued today according to CIS. No mention of start date but presumably still on track for Q4

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

D&B tender issued a few weeks ago, Tender Consultation Meetings ongoing. Award Stage should be September/ October

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I take it this scheme removes any possibility of an actual motorway between Dublin and Sligo?

Advertisement