Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Shape of Water (Guillermo del Toro)

• 19-07-2017 3:01pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

First trailer for Del Toro's latest work; no mistaking his style, and Doug Jones once more plays a Fish-Man in a DelToro movie :D

Crimson Peak was a little disappointing, and its marketing campaign I feel didn't help, pitching a very different kind of film to the one actually released.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭conor222

I saw the trailer for this last night,
    Is this a Hellboy prequel based on the origin of Abe Sapien?

We were all very confused, either this is in lieu of a Hellboy 3, or it is a massive f**k you to the studios as this character has most of Abe's characteristics from the other films (classical music in the trailer, the eggs, even the look)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

conor222 wrote: »
    We were all very confused, either this is in lieu of a Hellboy 3, or it is a massive f**k you to the studios as this character has most of Abe's characteristics from the other films (classical music in the trailer, the eggs, even the look)
    I can't believe it's the latter. He'd lose in court in a heartbeat if the rights holders sued.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Looks very good. It has a real Bioshock/Art Deco aesthetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Mr E wrote: »

It has a very strong Bioshock influence, parts of it looks like it was taken straight from the first two games, even the text used is very similar to Bioshock

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Very well put together trailer, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Awesome to see Sally Hawkins get a rare lead role. Definitely think this be more in the vain of his more arthouse films like The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth. Del Toro goes either way for me, he's a talent for sure but is very hit and miss. Looks promising though.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Looper007 wrote: »
    Awesome to see Sally Hawkins get a rare lead role. Definitely think this be more in the vain of his more arthouse films like The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth. Del Toro goes either way for me, he's a talent for sure but is very hit and miss. Looks promising though.

7 Golden Globes nominations including 1 for Sally

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

The last couple of Del Toro films have been real misfires. What might save this is the appearance of the great Michael Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Mr E wrote: »
    siblers wrote: »
    It has a very strong Bioshock influence, parts of it looks like it was taken straight from the first two games, even the text used is very similar to Bioshock

The tone, the visuals, the music, even the font.....its all unmistakingly Bioshock. I hope Levine takes it as an homage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭droidman123

Check out any alex del a inglesis movies,the bar and witching and bitching,just two to start you off....way better than del toro imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I am surprised to see a complete lack of chatter about this, it is a month away from release here but it is available through other means now. I am really looking forward to watching it tonight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Kirby wrote: »
    The tone, the visuals, the music, even the font.....its all unmistakingly Bioshock. I hope Levine takes it as an homage.

It's not like Bioshock invented art deco styling.

Anyway, Levine will have to get in line as the filmmakers of a Dutch short film called The Space Between Us are already claiming de Toro ripped them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I am surprised to see a complete lack of chatter about this, it is a month away from release here but it is available through other means now. I am really looking forward to watching it tonight.

Some of us still go to the cinema, which is where I'll be watching this. (And keeping away from this thread for the next month.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah yes, it's 'screener' season; if nothing else Del Toro paints some pretty pictures and I'd prefer not to watch a low-res, watermarked version of the film out of any impatience I might have. I look forward to seeing this in the cinema on the big-screen, in all its glory.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Decuc500 wrote: »
    Some of us still go to the cinema, which is where I'll be watching this. (And keeping away from this thread for the next month.)

Sorry, I do go to the cinema weekly aswell and will most likely go to see this when it is released. My post was more about the lack of talk about this rather than the fact it was available through nefarious means.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Sorry, I do go to the cinema weekly aswell and will most likely go to see this when it is released. My post was more about the lack of talk about this rather than the fact it was available through nefarious means.

Ah yeah fair enough. I just enjoy reading about upcoming films but will stop reading the thread when people are discussing the film and return after I've seen it. Anyway, I hope it's good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'd strongly encourage people to skip the screeners. Not just for this but for all the award films. No matter what the dopes in comment sections say, the frame rates are messed up in all of them. Frames get repeated, it's like watching a bad NTSC conversion. Idiots who leak these things don't know to encode properly or they do it badly deliberately.

There's nothing I want to see so bad that can't wait 3 months or isn't worth a trip to the cinema when it comes out here in a week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭smurf492

Fantastic movie... Delight to watch and absolute return to form for del toro... Makes my list of best of the year already

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

It's beautiful to look at, the score is nice, and all the actors are bringing their A-game, but it's sooo predictable. I could tell after 15 minutes how it was going to pan out. I enjoyed Crimson Peak a lot more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Marvelous movie. Loved every bit of it. Performances, dialogue, sets, score, story and style pushed all my buttons. A+. Hawkins is a little gem altogether.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Watched it last night finally. Very enjoyable, but like a lot of movies that I've waited months to see I find that they're difficult to live up to the hype. I also felt like I'd seen it before, I'm sure there's a movie with a very similar plot but I can't think of what it may be. All in all very good, but doesn't feel like best picture material.

7/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danmanw8

It's pretty good, watched it last night. It's one of those movies you say "that was... different" after

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Meh...

Guillermo probably scored a bullseye with this movie mainly with people who do identify themselves as mermaids, it, crossgender and whatever else is out there nowadays - by implying that most of them are simply lonely people who struggle to find the relationship they desire.
    Perhaps it is just "follow the money" scenario as confused sexual identity and relationships agenda this film is about is sexy these days and could be a good feeding frenzy for social media warriors descending upon uneducated masses teaching them what is right and what not. That is itself mostly confusing as this movie was.

We certainly live in strange times when so many people do find zoophilia interesting, lovely and entertaining.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

OK, I hated it.

Yes, visually very good, actors done their best, but what was the point with the stupid plot. I'm a bit iffy with del Toro anyway, but surely he could have done more with this.

Horrendous film.

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Meh...

Guillermo probably scored a bullseye with this movie mainly with people who do identify themselves as mermaids, it, crossgender and whatever else is out there nowadays - by implying that most of them are simply lonely people who struggle to find the relationship they desire.
    Perhaps it is just "follow the money" scenario as confused sexual identity and relationships agenda this film is about is sexy these days and could be a good feeding frenzy for social media warriors descending upon uneducated masses teaching them what is right and what not. That is itself mostly confusing as this movie was.

We certainly live in strange times when so many people do find zoophilia interesting, lovely and entertaining.

I see a lot of reviewers commenting on the current political divide and identity politics in relation to to this film. I don't get that. Maybe that was meant as a commentary, but I didn't get it. I can't imagine that if I were trans or whatever, that this movie would encapsulate my experience, no. Go watch Boys Don't Cry, but not this.

Meh...

Sometimes a movie about a woman falling in love with a fish man is just a movie about a woman falling in love with a fish man.

Sometimes a movie about a woman falling in love with a fish man is just a movie about a woman falling in love with a fish man.

Put so much more eloquently than I could.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Meh...

Wtf?

• Advertisement

Wtf?

I know, right? But see some of the imdb reviews. This film is all about liberals bashing the oppressed straight white man. Apparently.

Advertisement