Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rugby Supporters Club

• 24-09-2013 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

I'm considering getting membership now that I'm living in Dublin.

For those of you that are/were members, is it worth signing up? Moreover, when is the best time of the year to sign up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,742 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I reckon unless you have a hard time getting tickets for the internationals there's not much point. The packs used to have a few bits in them including a hoodie etc and combined with early access to tickets I felt they were worth it. This year though the packs aren't great and the only real plus is the early access to tickets as far as I'm concerned. I did renew this year to make sure I could get AI tickets but that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Don't particularly rate it. There's not much trouble getting tickets to autumn internationals etc. and it's only really the big home 6N games that draw the big crowds. For the cost of the membership, I'd advise against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,531 ✭✭✭✭phog

I'm considering getting membership now that I'm living in Dublin.

For those of you that are/were members, is it worth signing up? Moreover, when is the best time of the year to sign up?

Why do you want to join?

If it's only for tickets then I'd say a waste of money unless you absolutely have no contacts in rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭No, you're a...

The only reason i'd consider joining is to get tickets for home 6 nations. I have no contacts in rugby clubs and find it very hard to get to the matches.

Can you actually get tickets? On the website they mention "Opportunities to win or purchase tickets". This sounds a little vague.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Buer

The only reason i'd consider joining is to get tickets for home 6 nations. I have no contacts in rugby clubs and find it very hard to get to the matches.

Can you actually get tickets? On the website they mention "Opportunities to win or purchase tickets". This sounds a little vague.

There's no issue at all getting tickets for Scotland and Italy games. The others can be tricky but generally, if you're willing to ask around enough, there will be tickets floating around. Even on a site like Toutless whose policy it is to sell tickets at face value often have a couple, if you're sharp enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The reason would be for Six Nations tickets really.

I don't have much contacts tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Ah, now don't be modest. You have the collegial network of interested persons that is the rugby forum on boards.ie...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Ah, now don't be modest. You have the collegial network of interested persons that is the rugby forum on boards.ie...
    Not sure if that's sarcasm or not... :pac:

Thomond, why not join a club in Dublin, even as a non-playing member if you're body is beyond playing. Most clubs offer tickets to members (some exclusively to members), so you'd have the combined benefits of building up your network here in Dublin and good opportunities to get your hands on tickets.

Welcome to Dublin too! Will we see you at some Leinster games?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭LostArt

Useful if you want 6 nations tickets but a waste of money otherwise. Far better seats than the one's I got for the AI's were released on general sale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Eponymous wrote: »
    Not sure if that's sarcasm or not... :pac:

Thomond, why not join a club in Dublin, even as a non-playing member if you're body is beyond playing. Most clubs offer tickets to members (some exclusively to members), so you'd have the combined benefits of building up your network here in Dublin and good opportunities to get your hands on tickets.

Welcome to Dublin too! Will we see you at some Leinster games?

No not sarcastic! There are a lot of knowledgeable and involved people on the forum, and in my experience if people are genuinely looking for help or advice, people are more than happy to provide it. Look at the number of replies people will receive when they want to know the best part of the ground to sit in etc.

I think Thomond's looking to go to the Blues game this Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I'd prefer to give the money directly to my local club by joining them, if it's just to secure tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Swiwi. wrote: »
    No not sarcastic! There are a lot of knowledgeable and involved people on the forum, and in my experience if people are genuinely looking for help or advice, people are more than happy to provide it. Look at the number of replies people will receive when they want to know the best part of the ground to sit in etc.

I think Thomond's looking to go to the Blues game this Friday.
    I wasn't being serious! (well about the sarcasm bit anyway)

Have a read back of the threads where the Supporters Club offered tickets to members, I serioulsy doubt that you'll get any of the bigger games and for the Scotland/Italy you'll pick them up anywhere.

As previously mentioned join a rugby club and be in with a chance there and your money is going to grasssroots rugby.

phog wrote: »
    Have a read back of the threads where the Supporters Club offered tickets to members, I serioulsy doubt that you'll get any of the bigger games and for the Scotland/Italy you'll pick them up anywhere.

As previously mentioned join a rugby club and be in with a chance there and your money is going to grasssroots rugby.

I've been informed that the membership of the Supporters Club do in fact go to fund grassroots rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Crash

After this year, never joining the supporters club again. Wanted to be 100% sure of getting a decent number of AI tickets for family, so joined it. Better tickets than were offered by the Supporters club subsequently went on general sale. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Crash wrote: »
    After this year, never joining the supporters club again. Wanted to be 100% sure of getting a decent number of AI tickets for family, so joined it. Better tickets than were offered by the Supporters club subsequently went on general sale. :(

That's a joke.

That's a joke.
    I'd been burnt in this manner before and didnt renew the supporters club. If I'd just been looking for a ticket for myself I'd have left it, but in my stupidity decided to have another try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Thomond...the only important supporters club for you to be in in Dublin is the MRSC! Hope to see you in BFTB!

You can see why that might happen, the Supporters Club are probably offered X number of tickets in the stadium. They then offer them to their members.

Other clubs return their ticket allocations to the IRFU and they then go on sale to the public.

Not ideal but can happen. if the Supporters Club had to wait for the returns then they are never sure of tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

In previous years, it seemed a bit of a scam. They're advertising to everyone it's a chance of international tickets, but not much of a chance; with tickets often selling within minutes, and they could be gone even if you were prepared. OTOH, most of the tickets I did get through them were fairly poor - for instance those I got in Croke Park were always low down on the Canal End where you've an awful view given how far the rugby pitch is away from you.

I'm not even sure if I'm a member any more - they never send out expiration reminders; the only time I sign up is when a sale is upcoming and I'm unable to log in!

• Advertisement

True, but what irritates me is that the X tickets offered to the Supporters club are SHOCKINGLY bad in comparison with the returns from clubs. Equally the amount that went on general sale was quite high, so I'd wonder if all were returns or if some were always planned on going out to general sale. Anyhow, burnt twice, shame on me.

As I said, when looking for tickets for myself or one other, it's definitely easier just to go through friends, toutless, leinsterfans/munsterfans, public sales, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I agree - I just joined this year, and while the tickets I got for the autumn internations are quite good, I was hovering my mouse right on the 10 a.m. opening time for the sale, but subsequently saw much better tickets on general sale. I'll see what happens for the six nations, and if I don't have luck there, I'll drop the membership. The supporters pack is pathetic.....who wants three key rings?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭funrunner95

Hi, I'm also a supporters club member and am wondering whats the story with 6N tickets, I've friends from scotland travelling for the match and would looking for a good few, now what I'm wondering is if they put limits on ticket sales for supporters club members? I'd be looking for 4 or 5 tickets, so I dunno if that would be possible through the supporters club, or taking my chances with leftovers from a general sale, have many leftovers from the clubs gone on general sale for home scotland matches?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭vixdname

I dont know what you guys are doing wrong, or Im doing right but as a member of the supporters club I've never failed to get tickets to either Autumn Internationals or 6 Nations games.

This morning alone I secured 2 tickets to the Ireland V Wales game in the 6 Nations in February and before anyone says it, NO I am not affiliated with the supporters club in any way apart from being a normal member nor do I know anyone in positions that can secure tickets for me.

For the small annual fee, the supporters club is an excellent way of getting tickets for international games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

vixdname wrote: »
    I dont know what you guys are doing wrong, or Im doing right but as a member of the supporters club I've never failed to get tickets to either Autumn Internationals or 6 Nations games.

This morning alone I secured 2 tickets to the Ireland V Wales game in the 6 Nations in February and before anyone says it, NO I am not affiliated with the supporters club in any way apart from being a normal member nor do I know anyone in positions that can secure tickets for me.

For the small annual fee, the supporters club is an excellent way of getting tickets for international games.

Well its been four years since the people above were having issues so I'm sure things have changed since then :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭vixdname

Well its been four years since the people above were having issues so I'm sure things have changed since then :pac:

Hi there, you must be a bit out of touch I reckon because according to other threads some lads are still having issues getting tkts via the Supporters Club (Just this morning in fact).

I posted on this old thread as anyone doing a search on this issue on Boards will find this thread quickly irrespective of its age (just like you did) so I thought it good to give a more positive angle on it, but thanks again for your concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,552 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

beem a member since 2008 and the one time I could not get tickets was for the 2017 Six Nations and I didn't participate in the sale dis morning

I imagine tickets will be hard to get for the 2018 Autumn games where the All Blacks are coming too town

• Registered Users Posts: 16,385 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I got two for Italy. I was on the VISA verification screen for Scotland tickets but was bombed out as I entered my password.

Already had 2 tickets for the Wales game so didn't do too badly really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Been a member for 3 years now and never again. Only benefit is to try and get tickets for 6 Nations and this is the third year in a row that I have failed to get tickets.

Why they only send out the invite the night before is crazy (last year, I had a morning long meeting I couldn't get out of - had I a bit of notice I could have arranged something). While this morning, @ 10.00 on the dot, I did get offered poor seats for Scotland game. Tried another section and nothing (original seats offered also gone).

It's just a scam - either guarantee (decent) tickets or make being a member free. But paying for a "chance" to get (piss-poor) tickets is complete BS.

Once again, my attendance at any games in the spring will be based on friends having spare tickets etc (small chance)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Ah I dunno bout that. I paid my €50 to the supporters club not expecting to get tickets, just hoping to.
    I've no begrudging feelings about how it all operates. I have decided though that I won't renew my membership seeing as I've failed to get what I was hoping for 2 years running.
    Due to the success of the team, interest in these matches seems to be at an all time high. Which it should be.

I had to try and get tickets earlier using my smartphone in a mediocre coverage location. I'm blaming that more than anything.

Fair play to all who got tickets.
    I'll be reasonably content to settle for a high stool view of proceedings instead.

Advertisement