Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Draught beer at home THE SUB from Heineken

• 08-12-2017 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭

So I just got one of these things as I live in Germany and I am sure they will be a big hit in Ireland when the start selling there.

the-sub.com

https://de.the-sub.com/en/

https://uk.the-sub.com/

I got mine from amazon and I am sure amazon UK will do them.

Not sure what the price will be in Ireland. I am sure more then any where else but for home drinking I see it as the next big thing.

Let me know if anyone buy one in Ireland.

ENJOY!!!

:pac: :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

£180 and then £2 per pint to drink at home - am I reading it right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Simona1986 wrote: »
    £180 and then £2 per pint to drink at home - am I reading it right?

And each "torp" holds less than 4 pints or are there bigger ones available?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-25-Perfect-Draft-dispenser/dp/B004GCK1IE/ref=pd_sbs_370_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TVDS9CFN1FEAZPWCHRJ4

6 liter but a bit more to buy.

Amazon was doing flash sales on the SUB. I got mine for €84

If you have the Torps already chilled you can swap them without much delay.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

gar32 wrote: »
    I am sure they will be a big hit in Ireland when the start selling there.
    I am sure they will be around two or three months and then disappear without trace because that is what has happened every single time somebody has tried to launch a home-dispense product in Ireland. There is no niche in the market for this type of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Much better, fun project you can assemble over Christmas :

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056618819

As I said I think these will be big when the start in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I like it.
    Compact and no beer in lines.

5% Discount in the box if you buy it. Try buy large amount of beer with discount :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

What makes you think they will be big here?
    The previous Heineken 5 litre minikegs they launched a few years back we're a flop.

Curious also why someone living in Germany would be after Heineken. You can buy those little 5 litre partyfass kegs fairly easily, no? Most comparable, if not better, than Heineken.

• Advertisement

I am looking at the other beer in the torps. If it goes the same as the USA the will start filling them with craft beers. This is what I am interested in. It is a cheaper what to start beer on tap at home. If it breaks there is a Phillips 6 liter for around €220 I would not mind trying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It's €18 for 20 bottles of Heniken in Tesco atm. These yokes will never take off.

If you after cheap beer then move to Germany. Most beers are €10 for 20 half liter bottles. €1 a liter.

If you like draught beer at home you have to pay a little more. After you pay for machine its about €3 a liter.

If you like having 8 pints a day this system is not for you.

So I tried a Hack yesterday which worked so far. I opened a used TORP and added beer from a bottle. It pressured and worked with 1st test for a small glass of beer. If this work's I could try many beer's even Cider in it.

I will keep you posted if it work's later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

What's the difference from just drinking the bottle?

You don't have to drink it all in one go and you get a better head on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 radioschizo

Edited
    Have a read of the forum rules before you post again

Beer is an UPPER for the 1st hour or so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭tomhalloween

I am looking at the other beer in the torps. If it goes the same as the USA the will start filling them with craft beers. This is what I am interested in. It is a cheaper what to start beer on tap at home. If it breaks there is a Phillips 6 liter for around €220 I would not mind trying.
    I have a Philips perfect draft. While it is expensive to acquire kegs as no supplier in Ireland, I love it.

See if Amazon.de will deliver for you as VAT on beer here is very low. I have seen the 6 liter kegs for €20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭tomhalloween

See if Amazon.de will deliver for you as VAT on beer here is very low. I have seen the 6 liter kegs for €20.

I order from a German website that sells kegs from as low as €15 .although the nicer beers can be double that price. Shipping for 4 kegs is just over €25

48 half liter at Around €2 each is not bad if the beer is better then can's and bottles.

Would it be as good as pub beers?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I am looking at the other beer in the torps. If it goes the same as the USA the will start filling them with craft beers. .

Craft Beer Growlers have largely been a flop in Ireland in spite of they having shop space in a variety of outlets. I can't see why they will work for Heineken or similar lagers. At best, it may work a little for draught stout if you could get it closer to a pub pint to what cans offer but even then it will be a hard sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Edited
    Have a read of the forum rules before you post again

So I have put wheat beer from bottles in to a used torp and it works great. Gas, head and cool just like a bar. When you see the price of a torp refilling will be the way to go. Now if someone could sell a better reusable torp. This could be the future :)

P.S.Sold out on most site in EU for Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Do you work for this company?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You would be liable to pay excise and VAT on it, even though they are in the EU.

I know of several dedicated heineken drinkers. I cannot picture any of them getting this. You can get 24x500ml cans for 20 euro in tesco and supervalu at the moment, which is admittedly unusually cheap. I think most of them value bottled heineken more than draught too, bottles would still be a lot cheaper than this, they are always on offer.

No I don'T work for this company. Would I suggest refilling it if I did?

I am just happy with it and want to share that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

No I don'T work for this company. Would I suggest refilling it if I did?
    If you worked for the company making the device then yes, it could possibly make sense to be revealing how you can bypass having to buy the beer, which could have some licence fee or something included. It would be like the manufacturers who make nespresso machines revealing how to use standard coffee in pods. Or manufacturers of "now tv" boxes revealing how you can hack them. "Now TV" boxes are sold cheap as they are subsidized by sky.

I don't think you work for them, just saying its a poor defense.
    So I tried a Hack yesterday which worked so far. I opened a used TORP and added beer from a bottle. It pressured and worked with 1st test for a small glass of beer. If this work's I could try many beer's even Cider in it.
    Can't see why anybody would bother with cider, a pint of bulmers would have no head on it if poured right. These torps are the same volume as a flagon of cider.
    You don't have to drink it all in one go and you get a better head on it.
    You don't have to drink bottles all in 1 go either, just recap them. Some might keep partial bottles of wine, I know of nobody who does the same with beer. Does this device actually carbonate the beer? if not then I expect a recapped bottle would keeps its carbonation a lot better. As for the head I expect you could get similar using some other device, like those syringes you used to get for guinness years ago.

I expect it loses a fair bit of carbonation if you are pouring it into this torp thing. Also the torp is meant to last 15 days, I expect a major factor in this is the fact it is presumably made in a controlled environment, not poured into it in open dirty air and getting unwanted oxygen in.

I see it is at a fixed 2C and cannot be changed.

• Advertisement

There is a bag inside the torp which is deflated as you use it. The air pump keeps the beer without air unlike an half filled beer bottle.

Advertisement