Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Baileys alternative?

• 18-12-2007 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭

Was at the shop there the other day intending to get a bottle of Baileys when i noticed another 75cl bottle very similar in appearance (name escapes me) It went down a treat but can't think of the name...mcCorricks or mcCormicans or somthin like that...:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Not sure of the spelling, might be carollans or similar.

Read the side of the bottles. Baileys is made with whiskey, some of these are wine based, i.e. they brew sugar and water and carbon filter it to make neutral wine and add cream. Whiskey would be better. Some say whiskey on the front but when you read the side it is a "whiskey & wine blend", i.e. brewed sugar and a dash of whiskey to get past advertising laws.

Baileys is overpriced and if people are pissed they might not complain about the cheap knockoffs. around christmas there shoudl be more people giving tasters.

If you want an alternative at the same price/quality level give the tia maria ones a go, think tia lusso, and some other cream based one

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

rubadub said it. Carolans

It's whiskey based iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Tesco sell a Bailey's-type drink for about €7 or €8 a bottle. it's pretty nice too. Can't remember the name for the life of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

no lads it ain't Carolans ...Mc somethin or other..lovely stuff. Don't particulary like Carolans at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

It's McGraths.

A proper contender is "Coole Swan". It's a bit pricier but tastes nice (imo), I tend to find Baileys a tad too sickly after awhile, whereas Coole Swan has a stronger whiskey hit off it, like a grown-up Baileys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Yeah, Coole Swan is gorgeous. Nice, attractive white bottle too.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

Baileys is no longer made with whiskey. Bushmills had a very good one, but the distillery was bought by Diageo, who own Baileys. Cool Swan is supposed to be very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

no...it's actually called McCormicks's. Just had a bottle there last night :D
    It gets a bit sickening after a few glasses though. Doesn't contain whiskey but to my tastebuds very similar to Baileys. I thought they put whiskey into Bailey's ? no ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've seen Cool Swan in the shops and it looks good. But I probably won't buy it unless I see it on special offer somewhere.

no...it's actually called McCormicks's. Just had a bottle there last night :D
    It gets a bit sickening after a few glasses though. Doesn't contain whiskey but to my tastebuds very similar to Baileys. I thought they put whiskey into Bailey's ? no ?

They used to put it in, but no longer. I think they use some sort of distilled wine, or young spirit. They don't advertise this, of course. That said, if it tastes nice...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Fine Wines off licences in Limerick do O'Neills Irish Cream, its currently on offer at €5.99. At 14% its a tad lighter than Baileys and a little less creamier, but still nice on the taste buds and you can't go wrong at the price. Its also on sale in Fine Wines outlets in Ennis, Nenagh, Tralee, Cork and Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

Brockagh wrote: »
    They used to put it in, but no longer. I think they use some sort of distilled wine, or young spirit. They don't advertise this, of course. That said, if it tastes nice...
    Irish Whiskey is still an ingredient in Baileys (it claims to be a blend of Irish cream and Irish whiskey on the label) though it's way down the list, along with flavouring.

The alcohol in Baileys is whey alcohol, as I heard it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Don't Bushmills make some liqueur like Bailey's?

davros wrote: »
    Irish Whiskey is still an ingredient in Baileys (it claims to be a blend of Irish cream and Irish whiskey on the label) though it's way down the list, along with flavouring.

If it says it on the label, I suppose there is. I was talking to someone who used to work for them and they said that the don't use whiskey anymore. This person now has a significant job within the industry.

I was talking to someone the other day in the Celtic Whiskey Shop and they said they put a tiny amount in so they can call it a whiskey liquer.

Does it say Irish whiskey in the ingredients, or just whisky, by the way?

Bushmills used to have a similar product, but they were bought over by Diageo, which makes Bailey's, so they discontinued it. It was supposed to be very good.

davros wrote: »

PS, in India they make some "whiskey" from molasis and whey, but legally they can't call it whiskey over here, as it should be made from grain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

When I was on holiday in Mexico I came across a Baileys ripoff called Glenbays, its made in Mexico using scottish whiskey. Less creamier than Baileys. You can actually buy Baileys cheaper in Mexico than in Ireland.

http://www.elpalaciodehierro.com.mx/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10051&storeId=10001&productId=296069&langId=-5&categoryId=18381

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

Brockagh wrote: »
    Does it say Irish whiskey in the ingredients, or just whisky, by the way?
    Here is the list of ingredients, which I got from Know Your Diageo Drink:

"Fresh Dairy Cream, Sugar, Alcohol, Maltodextrin, Milk proteins, Cocoa extracts and flavours, Irish Whiskey, Colouring: 150b, Emulsifier: E471, Acidity regulator: E331."

I assume the only reason Irish whiskey is still on this list is so it can be mentioned on the label. It's a bit of a swizz though, given that there is so little whiskey involved. Here are some quotes from the Baileys website:
    The first thing we do is mix the cream with the finest Irish whiskey... The whiskey and the cream have a unique relationship, which means the cream is preserved by the whiskey alone.

You would think they were still making Baileys to the original recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

sorry to ressurect old thread - I used to like Mccormick's Irish Country Cream - used to buy it in Supervalu for around 8eur for 70cl - but looked on supervalu site and cannot find it now, maybe they no longer sell it.

Found Tesco own make Irish Cream liquor @8.79euro 70cl - whats it like? anyone had it?

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=250495134

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's fine. As far as I'm aware, all of the non-Bailey's Irish cream liqueurs come from the same place: Cooney's in Borrisoleigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I got 700ml bailey for €10 in tesco a few days ago, plenty there too.

2 for 20 in supervalue from today
    chKD7iP.jpg
    K2hpPjm.png
    G6hJi6D.jpg
    s9ZufkQ.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

I use Carolan's. I like that st. Brendan's has a slightly transparent bottle, but it won't work for any drink where you're supposed to float the Bailey's.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 Munt1core

I like Carolan's more than Bailey's as they use honey instead of sugar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

The Aldi special selected one is very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,792 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If the LIDL deluxe one is still available that was v nice.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Need to buy this for a present, however I liked that Coole swan but not sure it's worth double the price

so wife tootled up to enniskillen today - amongst other things, bought 70cl O'Connor's Irish Country Cream - 14% .. it says 'blend of wines' in the ingredients on the back.

Got it from Tesco (NI) cost £3.85 (works out to just over €4) - dunno what it like but should have asked her to get at least 2 bottles for that price.

IDShot_540x540.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

so wife tootled up to enniskillen today - amongst other things, bought 70cl O'Connor's Irish Country Cream - 14% .. it says 'blend of wines' in the ingredients on the back.

Got it from Tesco (NI) cost £3.85 (works out to just over €4) - dunno what it like but should have asked her to get at least 2 bottles for that price.

If I remember right it's not the nicest.

11214 wrote: »
    If I remember right it's not the nicest.

ah right its too early to crack it open at the moment , but when i do i will let you know :)

Advertisement