Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tv3 to give 6 Nations a Super Bowl feel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

So it will go on all night, with multiple protracted ad breaks and more pundits than players on the pitch.

Can't wait. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Dulchie

But will they broadcast a HD picture on Saorview ?
    The picture quality of the current TV3 saorview service is poor.

We are used to HD quality on RTE2 saorview will TV3 cough up a few euro for a decent service ?

heroics wrote: »
    Just saw this http://m.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/tv3-planning-to-give-rugby-six-nations-coverage-a-super-bowl-sunday-feel-35641444.html

And it does not make me think that the coverage of the 6nations on tv3 will be any better than the sh1tshow that was the coverage of the World Cup.

The only thing TV3 are capable of doing to make the Six Nations similar to the super bowl is to completely riddle it with ads and that is exactly what they are going to do.

All you can do is hope the rugby will be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭OldRio

No HD on Saorview. Utterly pathetic in this day and age.

ITV and BBC for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

NFL is the absolute dregs. Makes sense TV3 would want to take from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

NFL is the absolute dregs.

Get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

NFL is the absolute dregs.

Get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Get out.
    Get out.
    From a TV point of view, he's completely correct. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

How will they do this? Have a commercial break mid-way in both halves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Dulchie wrote: »
    But will they broadcast a HD picture on Saorview ?
    The picture quality of the current TV3 saorview service is poor.

We are used to HD quality on RTE2 saorview will TV3 cough up a few euro for a decent service ?

No. They won't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,323 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

From a TV point of view, he's completely correct. :pac:

Much as I enjoy a good NFL game, agreed. I can't do it live, it's just horrific.

I record them and watch them back after, it's just too much sh*te in the middle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I haven't watched anything other than the actual matches in years. I tune in for the anthems and tune out at full time. It makes it much more enjoyable.

I haven't watched anything other than the actual matches in years. I tune in for the anthems and tune out at full time. It makes it much more enjoyable.

Ah, I used to enjoy the buildup on RTE. I'd switch over to the beeb for the actual game, and then back to RTE for the punditry which (Hook aside) was usually very good quality. For all their (many) faults, RTE's rugby coverage and montages/intros are very very good.

who_me wrote: »
    How will they do this? Have a commercial break mid-way in both halves?
    Much as I enjoy a good NFL game, agreed. I can't do it live, it's just horrific.

I record them and watch them back after, it's just too much sh*te in the middle.

I download everything even if it's on TV just so I don't have to bother with ads but I'm firmly in the minority and if the sport does go this way then so be it.

I hope a Batman Forever riddler style beaming device is invented soon so that we can watch things in normal real time and the ads can be beamed directly into our heads without having to stop and watch them. That way I can ignore them subconsciously and get on with it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

They play ads on the screen during sit coms these days. Insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Get out.
    Get out.

I agree. Let's ban American sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Cheerleaders, fancy screen stats and the world's biggest bands playing at the interval?
    If not, I've some walls to be painted and watched drying around about the same time...

Venjur wrote: »
    and if the sport does go this way then so be it.

No. There are some things more important than that ****. a

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Am I the only one who didn't think TV3's coverage of the RWC was bad at all? I'm as alarmed and disappointed with them acquiring the 6N rights as anyone else. But if it's close to what they've delivered in 2015, it's not the end of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Am I the only one who didn't think TV3's coverage of the RWC was bad at all? I'm as alarmed and disappointed with them acquiring the 6N rights as anyone else. But if it's close to what they've delivered in 2015, it's not the end of the world.

I thought it was ok.
    Rte are actually quite poor now. Daire O'Brien is an anchor who is hard to warm to and their main men now are Horgan and O'Gara who aren't great on tv.

I'm looking forward to seeing if they can put together a good magazine show.

Against the Head on rte is on during the 6 nations and tried to cover too many bases and then disappears from the schedule even though the Champions cup is going strong.

TG4 offer nothing either with the Pro12.

I find a lot of the magazine style programmes are childish and aimed at the college student type of humour(no offence!)

I'd like to see a show with good analysis and highlights.

Saying all that if TV3 don't offer a HD offering on saorview I will watch it on itv/bbc.

I actually prefer the more neutral commentary and they have good pundits.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I thought it was ok.
    Rte are actually quite poor now. Daire O'Brien is an anchor who is hard to warm to and their main men now are Horgan and O'Gara who aren't great on tv.

I'm looking forward to seeing if they can put together a good magazine show.

Against the Head on rte is on during the 6 nations and tried to cover too many bases and then disappears from the schedule even though the Champions cup is going strong.

TG4 offer nothing either with the Pro12.

I find a lot of the magazine style programmes are childish and aimed at the college student type of humour(no offence!)

I'd like to see a show with good analysis and highlights.

Saying all that if TV3 don't offer a HD offering on saorview I will watch it on itv/bbc.

I actually prefer the more neutral commentary and they have good pundits.
    Against the Head has always only been on for short period during seasons and when RTE dont have rights european highlights then why keep against the head on?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Against the Head has always only been on for short period during seasons and when RTE dont have rights european highlights then why keep against the head on?

They could still do a good chat show. Lenihan and Pope are great analysts. It is a continuity thing as well I guess.
    They could bring on a guest every week too and get their opinion and maybe talk about their career and show some old highlights.

Surely RTE will look for the TG4 slice of the Pro12 going forward as they have no live rugby now unless they have something from the ladies/u20s.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,015 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

No HD, no watch, simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

So it will go on all night, with multiple protracted ad breaks and more pundits than players on the pitch.

Can't wait. :rolleyes:

This whole Match coverage by the side of the pitch thing is excruciatingly irritating. It was started to cut costs of having a studio and now they just do it because....... well, I don't know. It's annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭b.gud

https://twitter.com/TV3Ireland/status/939094495962034177

Photographer: "Right everyone so this is going to be the official photo we use so I want everyone smiling, eyes open and looking at the camera"
    ROG: "I'm French now don't tell me what to do"
    Photographer: "Okay..., Shane can you open your eyes for me"
    Horgan: "They are open"
    Photographer: "Fine, let's just get this over with"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I really couldn't stand their World Cup coverage. Matt Cooper is an appalling host and they guy they had commenting didn't know a thing about rugby. At least the panel above is a bit better.

How is ROG going to manage this, when is he moving to NZ? Their season starts in January.

Of all the commentators involved I'm probably most interested in Jennings. He's been excellent every time he has been on anything since he retired. Interesting insights and there is absolutely no guff about him whatsoever.

I know he has few fans but I think Horgan is quality also and a lineup of ROG, Horgan and Jennings would be as good as you could ask for in my book. Certainly for the opening fixture it will be interesting hearing ROG's comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Should've brought in Lynne Cantwell, she's better than any of them (bar ROG, but no idea how he's going to pull this off)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,744 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Venjur wrote: »
    Of all the commentators involved I'm probably most interested in Jennings. He's been excellent every time he has been on anything since he retired. Interesting insights and there is absolutely no guff about him whatsoever.

Just leaving this here again so...

https://twitter.com/A_Great_Human/status/653277740993544192

Advertisement