Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Alt Coin Thread (Vertcoin, OMG, CVC, PAY etc).

• 06-12-2017 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭

These pop up frequently in the Bitcoin/ETH threads but get lost. Since there are so many, and they are pretty small they don't need individual threads.

But there is some great value to be had. I've been tracking Vertcoin fir a few weeks. Bought in at $1. Bumped my holding at $5 (right before it dropped way down to $3). But last night i noticed it had jumped up to over $12.

Anyone tracking any others with potential?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

My gambling coins I buy are on binance, I find the smaller exchanges like cryptopia have too low volumn.
    Coins i'm buying now are Ven, Eng, Req and Mtl. I buy on the dip with the goal of selling 80% of them in increments above my buy order. Tactic is working for me now since everything is on a up trend and these small cap coins spike a lot. It's a safe option but you do miss out on moon coins like emc2, sold that at 60cents but it beats bag holding **** coins for months hoping they all moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

These pop up frequently in the Bitcoin/ETH threads but get lost. Since there are so many, and they are pretty small they don't need individual threads.

But there is some great value to be had. I've been tracking Vertcoin fir a few weeks. Bought in at $1. Bumped my holding at $5 (right before it dropped way down to $3). But last night i noticed it had jumped up to over $12.

Anyone tracking any others with potential?

Bought 1,000 VTC when it was about $.90 - $.95 - Still holding them all so happy with that.

Also bought 20,000 Substratum at between $.10 and $.20 so very pleased with that as well.

Bought some Ethos (at about $1.55 ) and Quantstamp (at about $.15) - with the recent dips (seem to be in conjunction with btc breaking more barriers) these may be good value buys.

Bought a load of Steem when it was about $.90 so selling it back at the moment - however the profit is more in fiat that satoshis as BTC also appreciated heavily in the time since I bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

ive got some eth and ltc on coinbase.

where is the easiest place to buy some alts?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,003 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

unplayable wrote: »
    ive got some eth and ltc on coinbase.

where is the easiest place to buy some alts?

i find Bittrex the best for buying alts, but Im still waiting to get authorized for withdrawals!

EOS, IOT & EMC2 are all my best performers, all over 200% since I bought in (and Im a recent alt-coiner!)

I also punting on ADA, XLM, RCN & DOGE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Im just an Alt coiner. I started back when neo was big so the gains from Alts looked a lot better than Bitcoin!
    Pity my btc value has dropped since.
    Yeah there are plenty of good alts on binance. Im looking at a few there now at the moment that are cheap, poet, bcpt & req. Maybe enjin too. They all have 2-3x potential.
    But for a safe bet I have some ARK and (XLM)lumens. Should have bought more lumens!

EDIT: forgot to mention that Ive a tiny bit of ADA, Im hoping it will drop more before i buy more.

• Advertisement

Should have bought into enjin. Up 80% so far today despite the Bitcoin rush.
    Hopefully Bitcoin pops at 20k and gives the Alts a needed boost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Shauny2010

I'm expecting a surge in some of the Alt coins once the steam comes off Bitcoin.
    I've added more NEO, TenX and OmiseGo today. If the Alts are still down over the next few days then I'll be adding more

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭The wonderfish

Interested in purchasing some Alt coins, probably NEO, just wondering do you need to have Bitcoin and trade this on an exchange for whatever Alt you are interested in?

Also apart from Bittrex are there any other exchanges that people could recommend?

Cheers

Shauny2010 wrote: »
    I'm expecting a surge in some of the Alt coins once the steam comes off Bitcoin.
    I've added more NEO, TenX and OmiseGo today. If the Alts are still down over the next few days then I'll be adding more

My thoughts are similar, since most of the alts are only trading against BTC or ETH, people cashing out their alts are forced to invest in BTC or ETH, so its almost free hedging.
    For me the biggest unknown is what will happen to BTC over the weekend pending the Futures market opening on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

GreeBo wrote:
    My thoughts are similar, since most of the alts are only trading against BTC or ETH, people cashing out their alts are forced to invest in BTC or ETH, so its almost free hedging. For me the biggest unknown is what will happen to BTC over the weekend pending the Futures market opening on Monday.

Not forgetting USDT, ie Tether. Lots of rumours it's been used to artificially pump the btc price is well.

• Advertisement

Interested in purchasing some Alt coins, probably NEO, just wondering do you need to have Bitcoin and trade this on an exchange for whatever Alt you are interested in?

Also apart from Bittrex are there any other exchanges that people could recommend?

Cheers
    You can use Alt coins rather than Bitcoin. Bitcoin transaction costs and speed are too painful.
    Lately I have been using Litecoin to transfer from Kraken to Bittrex. Litecoin is very fast, very low transaction costs and very immutable from one exchange to the next (ie its usually worth the same on both exchanges!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

My main alts are zcash and ethereum. I got these earlier this year (50/50 split) when they were approx the same price. Ethereum has crept up at a faster rate since so I might shift the balance a bit (75:25)

More recently invested in iota, chainlink, ada, siacoin, vertcoin, golem and bitcoincash. Happy with most but I think I will shift the bitcoincash soon enough. I’d rather just have the main bitcoin. Actually I’ve had siacoin for a good while now. I’m surprised there hasn’t been a much movement in this coin.

GreeBo wrote: »
    My thoughts are similar, since most of the alts are only trading against BTC or ETH, people cashing out their alts are forced to invest in BTC or ETH, so its almost free hedging.
    For me the biggest unknown is what will happen to BTC over the weekend pending the Futures market opening on Monday.

Yes, once Wallstreet gets involved then they will not play nice. How long will it take them to capture the market I wonder.

As for the ALTs I was looking at coins with a low circulating supply and came across Bitcoin Plus -- https://www.bitcoinplus.org/
    Anyone holding these?
    Looks interesting as it is an early fork of Bitcoin that got sidetracked!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Tango One

Don't know much about SBD but seems to be trading at $6 on poloniex and $10 on bittrex.com. Worth a transfer if you have an account on both.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

With the rsing and falling of Bitcoin prices yesterday was any other Crypto's up at all yesterday. I glanced on Bittrex and it seemed everything was down.

It does seem that if Bitcoin is doing well the Alt's begin to do well. Not many of them were rising when bitcoin was falling back to €13.5k

GreeBo wrote: »

I should have hedged with BTC long ago.
    I dont hold any of it because I dont believe that it will be used in the longer term (far too slow and unstable).
    But after the futures markets stabilise it I will probably go in 30% into it too!

Im nearly at an overall loss now after all my alts tumbled in the last 2 days. Same happened to me back in October.

I should have hedged with BTC long ago.
    I dont hold any of it because I dont believe that it will be used in the longer term (far too slow and unstable).
    But after the futures markets stabilise it I will probably go in 30% into it too!

Im nearly at an overall loss now after all my alts tumbled in the last 2 days. Same happened to me back in October.

You dont have to want to use it to hold it though.

If I bought gold I wouldnt be looking to pay for my shopping with a few ounces either.

Lack of belief of its use is a good reason to not invest, but not being able to spend it yourself is not a good reason.

I'm still up but only because I bought some BTC back at 7K and some small alts that are still up.
    Looking back I see that I cancelled 3 separate buy orders for BTC at between 6k & 9k... ahwell!

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Has anybody bought any CanYa coins?

Any thoughts on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Lots of green this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Tango One

Very new to all of this but looks like there is a fork of EMC2 . They are also removing a large number of coins and closing a loophole. May mean a bump in the near future.

NXT is another coin that is giving out free ignis coins if you are holding on 28th December.

Not sure if you get the fork and free coins if holding on an exchange. Anyone the wiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Tango One wrote: »
    Very new to all of this but looks like there is a fork of EMC2 . They are also removing a large number of coins and closing a loophole. May mean a bump in the near future.

NXT is another coin that is giving out free ignis coins if you are holding on 28th December.

Not sure if you get the fork and free coins if holding on an exchange. Anyone the wiser.
    Need to be held in the NXT client. If you download make sure to select the lite version so you don't have to download the whole chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Managed to pick up some GVT not long after the ICO which I sadly missed out on. This one looks like it could be big in about a year or so. Here's a video about it if anyone intersted:

Anyone bought any Cardano or Golem?

Managed to pick up some GVT not long after the ICO which I sadly missed out on. This one looks like it could be big in about a year or so. Here's a video about it if anyone intersted:

Anyone bought any Cardano or Golem?

Yeah, I have about 7.5K ADA, has done well for me so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Anyone investing in Ripple? I've bought some today am up 14%.

Neo starting to move at last. It was seriously stuck in the mud over the last few weeks. bitcoin and Alts rise and fall... rises Neo stands still
    Maybe we might be getting some news. Their was supposed to have been a big announcement but it didn't seem to come or have I missed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭AH92

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    Anyone investing in Ripple? I've bought some today am up 14%.
    I invested on ripple as well and with my deposit coming on tomorrow might throw more on ripple, Out of curiousity I've been trading on binance to get a few alt coins by getting ethereum from gdax and then transferring over. Am I right in doing this as the fees are cheaper or am I getting worse value by using eth instead of btc?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

LTC tends to have the cheapest fees, followed by ETH. BTC fees are massive and it is incredibly slow at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fran426ft

AH92 wrote: »
    I invested on ripple as well and with my deposit coming on tomorrow might throw more on ripple, Out of curiousity I've been trading on binance to get a few alt coins by getting ethereum from gdax and then transferring over. Am I right in doing this as the fees are cheaper or am I getting worse value by using eth instead of btc?

You'll probably need to work it out for yourself. Things are constantly changing. You need to look at all the potential costs involved if you are trying to get the "best value" purchase but there is always risk in such a dynamic market.

I've not bought Alts yet and am a complete noob but from what I can see you get slightly different prices on different exchanges. GDAX isn't typically the cheapest so while you can get zero fees you may be paying slightly higher price. Conversely you can also sell for slightly higher prices. You then need to consider transaction fees in moving money between exchanges. As pointed out LTC is cheapest here but you can't convert this directly to XRP or IOTA on Binance, so there is more risk and potential fees in transferring to ETH or BTC. Then withing Binance there are differences in price when trading from different currencies. It's not always easy to see the difference. If you look at Binance on Coinmarketcap it may help demonstrate this (I don't know how accurate their USD conversions are as Binance don't trade FIAT)

https://coinmarketcap.com/exchanges/binance/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

You'd be annoyed looking at Neo just sitting there the last while as Bitcoin rockets, but hopefully today is the beginning of arise for it

Advertisement