Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Capital Grant

• 04-02-2017 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

When grant is awarded what happens then. Does the grant go directly to the contractor when work is complete? Does the club have to come up with all the money and pay the contractors in full and get refunded by the grant. Would really appreciate advice from anyone who's been through the process. Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭furryhead

Hi murphyahp. You must pay the contractor first and then claim back the money from the grant allocated. The grant allocation should be enough to secure a bridging loan from the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Clann Credo social bank provide bridging and term loans for these types of grants and are great to deal with
    Www.clanncredo.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

county boards also provide loans through Croke Park, as far as I am aware

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Poker player 007

Does anyone know when the sports capital grants for 2017 will be announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Later this month or early October at the latest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

Eagerly awaiting news on this myself - the Ministers Office says this month and nothing more specific...at least at this stage it means it should be going ahead and not deferred...

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭furryhead

happygoose wrote:
    Eagerly awaiting news on this myself - the Ministers Office says this month and nothing more specific...at least at this stage it means it should be going ahead and not deferred...

Any word on this? Can't get any information online.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

furryhead wrote: »
    Any word on this? Can't get any information online.
    Announcement in the next week or two I heard yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭poppers

announced this morning .

http://www.dttas.ie/sport/english/sports-capital-programme-awards-new

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

So excited to hear about the financial doping...

7.5mil for Kerry GAA, I mean IT Tralee...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TrueGael

@MickFoley76
    Follow Follow @MickFoley76
    More
    Quick scan of the sports grants: 64 six figure sums to clubs in Dublin, 31 received 150k - the highest amount. 29 six figure sums went to clubs in the rest of the country, 2 clubs outside Dublin received 150k.

Won't comment on this, I will let the facts speak for themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

TrueGael wrote: »
    Mick_Foley.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

The constant anti Dublin soapboxing from you is tiresome at this stage. Reign it in or I'll have no problem issuing you with cards or bans.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TrueGael

140115193943-kim-jong-un-north-korea-profile-dictator-large-169.jpg

If matters involving public expenditure and how it is distributed can't be debated in a civil and respectful on a open forum such as this you may as well drop the ban hammer now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

The constant anti Dublin soapboxing from you is tiresome at this stage. Reign it in or I'll have no problem issuing you with cards or bans.

for stating facts?

here's an example of what some Dublin clubs got

Ballyboden 150,000
    Ballymun 150,000
    Castleknock 145,000
    Clontarf 150,000
    Erin Isle 150,000
    St Judes 141,000
    St Maurs 102,400
    St Olafs 150,000
    St Patricks 150,000
    St Sylvesters 150,000
    St Vincents 150,000

• Registered Users Posts: 27,038 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    for stating facts?

here's an example of what some Dublin clubs got

Ballyboden 150,000
    Ballymun 150,000
    Castleknock 145,000
    Clontarf 150,000
    Erin Isle 150,000
    St Judes 141,000
    St Maurs 102,400
    St Olafs 150,000
    St Patricks 150,000
    St Sylvesters 150,000
    St Vincents 150,000

Looking at that list and comparing it to the amounts that clubs outside Dublin got, I would estimate that the amount per active juvenile player in the Dublin clubs was lower than the amount per active juvenile player outside Dublin.

As I keep having to repeat here, the focus in Dublin is on the juvenile scene and funding is directed there with a view to increasing participation and improving the health and wellbeing of the county's underage population. An excellent way to spend State money.

I have previously pointed to the amount of money wasted by counties like Mayo on warm-weather training and expenses for the senior football team, while the juvenile scene is let go. Have a look at the €7.5m for IT Tralee for the Kerry GAA Academy. That would fund 50 clubs in Dublin at €150,000 each for their juvenile section. Where is the money better spent?

blanch152 wrote: »
    Looking at that list and comparing it to the amounts that clubs outside Dublin got, I would estimate that the amount per active juvenile player in the Dublin clubs was lower than the amount per active juvenile player outside Dublin.

As I keep having to repeat here, the focus in Dublin is on the juvenile scene and funding is directed there with a view to increasing participation and improving the health and wellbeing of the county's underage population. An excellent way to spend State money.

I have previously pointed to the amount of money wasted by counties like Mayo on warm-weather training and expenses for the senior football team, while the juvenile scene is let go. Have a look at the €7.5m for IT Tralee for the Kerry GAA Academy. That would fund 50 clubs in Dublin at €150,000 each for their juvenile section. Where is the money better spent?
    our club got 2000
    this was the fourth or fifth time we've looked for a few euro

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

If matters involving public expenditure and how it is distributed can't be debated in a civil and respectful on a open forum such as this you may as well drop the ban hammer now

You have posted quite a bit over the last month. And after a quick going through of your posts in that time, every single one of them in that time contains some sort of anti Dublin content. You are more than entitled to hold those views, but when it is literally all you post, then it's soapboxing.
    And do not reply again on thread to this.

our club got 2000

That doesn't offer any context.

How many senior/minor/juvenile players do you have?
    What is the untapped potential in your catchment area?
    How realistice was your grant application?

our club got 2000

we need to buy a mower.
    to, you know, cut the grass.

what has the untapped potential of a catchment area got to do with anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

So what your saying is that the big clubs with large populations should get all the funding and the small clubs should be happy with whatever they get? Small clubs have facilities etc to maintain/improve as well.

The other side of this is that a large club with a large player base should find fundraising easier than the smaller club so the smaller clubs would need more assistance to redevelop club houses/grounds etc

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭TommyDe

blanch152 wrote:
    I have previously pointed to the amount of money wasted by counties like Mayo on warm-weather training and expenses for the senior football team, while the juvenile scene is let go.

You post some rubbish.
    With all the millions your county gets in grants/sponsorship dublin can actually afford to hire MULTIPLE youth development coaches which other counties cannot do. How big is the Dublin backroom team? U21 management team? How many youth development coaches in the county?
    Meanwhile other county teams have to factor in training/travelling expenses to the budget which your own country doesn't need to worry about.

Juvenile scene in Mayo is not neglected -never was. You really don't have a clue about that so please don't even try. We don't have many full time coaches or youth development officers or whatever they're called. No funding or grants for it you see. Also the quality of the underage team in recent years has not been good enough.

A substantial amount of mayo funding is from the fans, otherwise the county wouldn't have a pot to piss in.

You just shout soundbites that deflect away from the big elephant in the room -FUNDING.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

so you're saying that all the money going to the Dublin clubs is only being spent on the juvenile sections? Thats a fairly big claim to make, no doubt substantiated by facts too.

And why cant IT Tralee get a grant to develop their GAA set up? All the major colleges in Dublin have got grants for their set ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

bruschi wrote: »
    And why cant IT Tralee get a grant to develop their GAA set up? All the major colleges in Dublin have got grants for their set ups.
    Maybe they applied for something which isnt fundable, or didnt make a joint application with a local sports club. Or maybe hadn't submitted on time. Or maybe hadnt proper info or proof provided on their own funding/ quotations/ elements of the project etc.
    Who knows.
    Heres the conditions .
    http://www.dttas.ie/sites/default/files/publications/sport/english/2017-sports-capital-programme-guide-filling-out-application-form/2017-sports-capital-programme-guide-filling-out-application-formd.pdf

Maybe they applied for something which isnt fundable, or didnt make a joint application with a local sports club. Or maybe hadn't submitted on time. Or maybe hadnt proper info or proof provided on their own funding/ quotations/ elements of the project etc.
    Who knows.
    Heres the conditions .
    http://www.dttas.ie/sites/default/files/publications/sport/english/2017-sports-capital-programme-guide-filling-out-application-form/2017-sports-capital-programme-guide-filling-out-application-formd.pdf

I'm not sure you get my point. The centre in Tralee is built and completed, they got the money in 2015 for it (50% of the construction costs). The point being that above was stated that the money "wasted" on that would be better spent on Dublin clubs.

bruschi wrote: »
    I'm not sure you get my point. The centre in Tralee is built and completed, they got the money in 2015 for it (50% of the construction costs). The point being that above was stated that the money "wasted" on that would be better spent on Dublin clubs.

You got my post wrong.

I was suggesting the money would be better spent on juveniles. Belfast would be a great place to spend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Some facts on the sports capital grant.

Last allocation saw Cork GAA clubs get 2,700,000.

Dublin clubs got 2,100,000.

Which is fair enough, Cork has more clubs.

Much smaller spread of clubs got grants in Dublin - less than 20 - which reflects the dominance of the bigger clubs, not saying they don't deserve support.

So yet another anti Dub rant bites the dust in the face of FACTS.

http://www.dttas.ie/sites/default/files/publications/sport/english/sports-capital-programme-2017-local-allocations/2017-scp-list-grants-publication.pdf

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Some facts on the sports capital grant.

Last allocation saw Cork GAA clubs get 2,700,000.

Dublin clubs got 2,100,000.

Which is fair enough, Cork has more clubs.

Much smaller spread of clubs got grants in Dublin - less than 20 - which reflects the dominance of the bigger clubs, not saying they don't deserve support.

So yet another anti Dub rant bites the dust in the face of FACTS.

http://www.dttas.ie/sites/default/files/publications/sport/english/sports-capital-programme-2017-local-allocations/2017-scp-list-grants-publication.pdf

sorry, where are those facts? Are you confusing the 2.7m with the GAA capital spend, which was in fact a spend on Pairc Ui Caoimh?

Because in the link you yourself have provided with facts, I count that 49 Cork GAA clubs got €1,997,750.

From the same link you provided the facts with, 28 Dublin GAA clubs got €3,269,396.

If you want to do a club to money ratio, that works out Cork clubs (that are actually getting money) an average of €40,770 each, whilst Dublin clubs (that are also only getting money) get an average of €116,764

If I'm wrong, correct me. I'm not putting forward an opinion, just thought it was odd for you to point out facts which arent actually facts at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Did you miss maths class :-)

Nothing to do with Páirc Uí Chaoimh.

• Advertisement

I'm going to play Devils Advocate here.

I don't think ANY GAA clubs should get funding like this.

I looked over the Galway list recently and the majority of our GAA clubs got a sizeable chunk more than the other amateur sports like soccer, basketball etc.

Considering the inter county players are getting nothing, and the GAA are pulling in millions from concerts and the AIs I don't think the GAA clubs should get anything.
    Soccer clubs get nothing from the FAI and then you see them getting less than GAA clubs in this funding.

Either the GAA need to stop messing the players around and start paying them, thus leaving this sort of funding on par with the other amateur sports or they need to get slim to nothing from national funding. The millions pulled in annually is supposed to be distributed back to the clubs for this exact purpose;
    providing facilities and general funding.

I think the time is coming where the players unite and push for their share of the pie, and since the clubs are eligible for million from sports grants annually, it negates the need for "all" of the HQ money to go the same purpose.

Frankly there comes a point where the funding becomes a bit material as builds like dressing rooms and club houses last a long time.

Advertisement