Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bikes with flashing brake lights

• 29-11-2017 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

I was filtering on the M50 and N7 behind a bike with a flashing brake light and it really bugged me. Am I being a bit precious?
    Seeing them as a car driver they appear and disappear relatively quickly, but tonight we were in convoy together for a while. OK, I could have eased up and let a gap build up, but that's a different argument.
    I'm inclined to think that car drivers wouldn't pay any extra heed anyway, as 4-wheel slow commuting is normally just a zone-out mental space.
    (10MHxxxx, with lots of front lights, if you know such a biker, ask him/her to think about it).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

You are being precious, and they're being rolled out in some cars too, so better get used to it.

I've had Hyperlites on some of my bikes over the years, and am adding similar to my Road King soon.

I'm also adding 2 x prs of front lights - it's more important for my safety than anything else.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Brielle Calm Relaxation

As soon as I see them I think 'wanker, over take'.. They annoy the crap out of me, very distracting and in the same category (for me) as a 'Polite' vest.

If I had anti-tank rocket launchers on my bike I'd blow the bastards out of me way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Zebbedee

galwaytt wrote: »

I'm also adding 2 x prs of front lights - it's more important for my safety than anything else.

High intensity lights that flash on the front can cause somebody suffering from epilepsy to have an epileptic fit.
    Just something to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

As soon as I see them I think 'wanker, over take'.. They annoy the crap out of me, very distracting and in the same category (for me) as a 'Polite' vest.

If I had anti-tank rocket launchers on my bike I'd blow the bastards out of me way :D

Think Stewie had titanium ones fitted to his bike.....:P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Here's an aftermarket set of lights that can be setup to flash when braking -

It gets attention, which is never a bad thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

There is the situation of sitting stationary in traffic and having a car approach behind, I was always told to tap the brake lights a few times to help with visibility, to help make sure they see you, so this sounds like same logic. I can see why filtering it may only be so useful, but in other heavy braking situations, sounds alright to me.

I've taken to running with my front fog/aux lights on in this weather to help with a bit of visibilty. Looking at some ideas for better visibility from the rear, may put an additional reflector on the top box.

I've seen some people filter with hazards on too, whatever works to keep you visible!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Depends on the person, different people get annoyed by trivial things. That wouldn't bother me, but those headlights that look flicker blue from a distance annoy the shít out of me for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Grumpy Bike Wizard

I think some newer bikes or cars have lights that flash if you pull the brakes hard enough. Not a bad idea as people can be very dozy coming up behind a line of traffic.

If it gets on a few people's nerves, then you know they can see you. Mission accomplished like.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I think some newer bikes or cars have lights that flash if you pull the brakes hard enough
    There are cars which make the brake lights brighter when you brake hard, and there are cars which make the hazards flash when you brake hard.

These solutions both seem reasonable.

Flashing hazards or brake lights when you brush the brake lever is just stupid. It degrades the significance of genuine emergency situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Lumen wrote: »
    Flashing hazards or brake lights when you brush the brake lever is just stupid. It degrades the significance of genuine emergency situations.

True, but I think a lot of these are people looking at their phones, and then panic and hit the brakes when they think something it happening ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Lumen wrote: »
    There are cars which make the brake lights brighter when you brake hard, and there are cars which make the hazards flash when you brake hard.

These solutions both seem reasonable.

Someone is a boardroom for a car company suggested it and repeated the word "safety" over and over again. No one wanted to say anything against safety, so here we are with flashing brake lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Alkers

Zebbedee wrote: »
    High intensity lights that flash on the front can cause somebody suffering from epilepsy to have an epileptic fit.

If a persons epilepsy is that sensitive, they should not be driving. What about emergency vehicles?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I watch videos on youtube of ambulance drivers and the amount of times they'll be behind a car for 20 seconds with lights and sirens going and they don't notice... some people just don't look. No amount of hi vis or lights will change that.

I tap my brakes if I don't want to get rear ended.. but flashing every time you touch the brakes is stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Simona1986 wrote: »
    If a persons epilepsy is that sensitive, they should not be driving. What about emergency vehicles?
    Yeah, having epileptics drive emergency vehicles is probably a bad idea too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭bladespin

Simona1986 wrote: »

Never thought of the epileptic emergency drivers, god must be a cruel job, poor bastids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I'm picking up a new 1200GSA soon and the brake light flashes when you brake hard to re-enforce the w*nker stereotype :P I find it adds a little bit of extra visibility when I wear my "polite notice" highviz and BMW donkey suit.

D3V!L wrote: »
    I'm picking up a new 1200GSA soon and the brake light flashes when you brake hard to re-enforce the w*nker stereotype :P I find it adds a little bit of extra visibility when I wear my "polite notice" highviz and BMW donkey suit.

Just getting the new Yamaha Niken II ready for the Womens Refuge Christmas Toy Run :D

434897.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 44 PopSensyDad

I didn't know flashing brake light is legal here... It's illegal in where I came from, Japan.

Even more surprise, there seems to be a EU demand.
    http://www.motorbikeireland.com/biker-news/are-flashing-brake-lights-legal/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I had a Volvo car that's brake lights flashed when I jammed on and the ABS kicked in. Otherwise they were normal brake lights. I'd have no problem with motorbikes having flashing brake lights. I'd rather see them than go through the horror or rear ending one.

Edit - flames from exhausts on powerful motorbikes are always a great sight too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

who said anything about flashing lights on the front ??

And, as someone else pointed out, if someone's epilepsy is that bad, they shouldn't be driving or riding, out of respect for their own safety as much as anyone else's.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

If I thought that was true I'd ride around for hours giving people fits for the craic :D

Advertisement