Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst sledging you have received or heard on a gaa pitch?

• 29-11-2017 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭

I recently was playing a match and the usual was going on. Shoulders and more bravado like that. But I noticed more and more players are trash talking and sledging on the pitch. Do you think it’s part of the game or unsporting behaviour?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Motivator

jk23 wrote: »
    I recently was playing a match and the usual was going on. Shoulders and more bravado like that. But I noticed more and more players are trash talking and sledging on the pitch. Do you think it’s part of the game or unsporting behaviour?

It can go too far often enough. I was playing a match a couple of years ago and a young guy on the opposition team came on and within 5 mins he was sent off. One of the fellas on our team had said something that basically couldn’t be repeated. The young chap got something said to him that made him snap, he turned and pulled across my teammate and walked off in tears.

There’s a back story to what was said as our guy knew the young lads family. it was never repeated by either player but my teammate owned up and said he went too far with it. To this day it has never been repeated but there was trouble for weeks after it. I think that getting that personal with someone, especially with a young fella who was 18 or 19 at the time, when you’re in your 30s is pretty low. There was an attempted investigation by our club into it but they couldn’t take any action because it never came out what was said! I’d rather not know to be honest.

Trash talking is one thing but personal stuff is way over the top I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Motivator wrote: »
    It can go too far often enough. I was playing a match a couple of years ago and a young guy on the opposition team came on and within 5 mins he was sent off. One of the fellas on our team had said something that basically couldn’t be repeated. The young chap got something said to him that made him snap, he turned and pulled across my teammate and walked off in tears.

There’s a back story to what was said as our guy knew the young lads family. it was never repeated by either player but my teammate owned up and said he went too far with it. To this day it has never been repeated but there was trouble for weeks after it. I think that getting that personal with someone, especially with a young fella who was 18 or 19 at the time, when you’re in your 30s is pretty low. There was an attempted investigation by our club into it but they couldn’t take any action because it never came out what was said! I’d rather not know to be honest.

Trash talking is one thing but personal stuff is way over the top I think.

Jesus that’s horrible stuff. Family and personal life stuff shouldn’t be brought up. It’s fairly low life behaviour. What sort of thing is fair game? Calling a lad useless or ****e?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,066 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Aisling Thompson Cork camogie has referred to this before, in relation to her own mental health issues. Really shocking, anyone would stoop so low. Happened in a club game.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,051 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

That **** is absolutely endemic in GAA, anybody thinking otherwise is just fooling themselves. For a lot of people, anything that can be said will be said, anything personal they have on you they will use on you, all in the name of getting an edge.

Its such a scummy sport in so many ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Not GAA, but when I played rugby one of our lads was penalised for something, and declared "the referees a wanker"
    The Ref heard him, and declared "its a pity your father wasn't" !
    Then he moved us back another 10 yards to remind us who was in charge ..... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭VONSHIRACH

A Galway pal alleges that one of the "tough" dudes on the Tipp team of 89-91 greeted a Galway player on the field with the words " nice day for a hanging". Galway player's sibling had passed away. Absolute low life if true and shameful behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Never had much said to me personally, but heard of a well known incident where (think it was a minor game) a few years ago Tyrone were playing Donegal and a young fella had something said to him about his father who had passed away recently. It seems there are no boundaries in some people's eyes. If a gossin on any team I managed was at that ****e, he'd be for the high road. Don't know how anyone can condone it, at any level, be it an u-10 Division 5 game, or the All Ireland final.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Bloc Party!

Can’t remember who’s book it was in but there was a player or two who’d get his markers partners mobile number and write it on his arm before going out on the field 😳

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Every time a player was on the pitch who lost a parent, it was always mentioned.

Along the lines of, 'lucky your mam isn't around to see that'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

VONSHIRACH wrote: »
    A Galway pal alleges that one of the "tough" dudes on the Tipp team of 89-91 greeted a Galway player on the field with the words " nice day for a hanging". Galway player's sibling had passed away. Absolute low life if true and shameful behaviour.

I was wondering how long we would get in the thread called "Worst sledging you have received or heard on a gaa pitch?" before it would turn into a procession of time-honoured hearsay allegations about matches the posters weren't involved in at all. In fairness, I'd not have assumed we'd have made it to seven posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Simple solution to sledging Fromm an opponent is to whack em in the mouth ad hopefully break something... It's what an opponent deserve.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Powerhouse wrote: »
    I was wondering how long we would get in the thread called "Worst sledging you have received or heard on a gaa pitch?" before it would turn into a procession of time-honoured hearsay allegations about matches the posters weren't involved in at all. In fairness, I'd not have assumed we'd have made it to seven posts.

Yeah, I'll give the thread two pages before it descends into another yet Mayo v Dublin slanging match. :rolleyes:

(Not that I'd ever be a party to any of that malarkey. :D )

So yeah, how about we keep it to posters own personal experience, like the thread title says?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

Remember playing a game at full back years ago, junior B or something. Anyway...this scumbag of a centre forward winding me and the keeper up all game.

Keeper was taking a kickout and yer man comes running up behind him barking like a dog and grabs his kicking leg on the back swing.

Floors the keeper and when I come in with a few shoulders he's suddenly all aggreived.

Anyway, from what I saw, a lot of men are angry with their lot in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭celt262

Keeper was taking a kickout and yer man comes running up behind him barking like a dog and grabs his kicking leg on the back .

Had the keepers dog died recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

VONSHIRACH wrote: »

I'm from tipp . I can tell you its probably true. iv heard it several times

if I had lost a brother to suicide the week before by hanging and someone said that to me I think I would blow a fuse and go mad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

There is the allegation of what a famous waterford player said to anthony daly in the drawn munster final of 98....about bateing the wife (tbc I dunno if any truth to the allegation)

>>heard it from a player who was on the pitch

>>it was referenced in loughnanes book aswell

I'm from tipp . I can tell you its probably true. iv heard it several times

if I had lost a brother to suicide the week before by hanging and someone said that to me I think I would blow a fuse and go mad

Good man. If it's "probably" true then it should be spread and as many unnamed players as possible maligned. And in fairness, if you've heard it "several times" it must be true 'cos these things are always well tested for truth before being spread.

Good man. If it's "probably" true then it should be spread and as many unnamed players as possible maligned. And in fairness, if you've heard it "several times" it must be true 'cos these things are always well tested for truth before being spread.

I'm only 99% certain. that's why I didn't say either names.
    I was told the story by one of the guys that was on the team and pitch that day. I'm sure he would be fairly reliable

There is the allegation of what a famous waterford player said to anthony daly in the drawn munster final of 98....about bateing the wife (tbc I dunno if any truth to the allegation)

>>heard it from a player who was on the pitch

>>it was referenced in loughnanes book aswell

But that didn't stop you repeating it here though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

I'm only 99% certain. that's why I didn't say either names.
    I was told the story by one of the guys that was on the team and pitch that day. I'm sure he would be fairly reliable

Well, you are either certain or you are not. Certainty is an absolute state - 99% doesn't come into it.

Unless you name names you could be just making it up. Big claims require big evidence. Don't be shy now. If we are going to scrape the barrel let's do it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭ForestFire

But that didn't stop you repeating it here though!

It's referenced in a book that is published.....

This is one of the few posts that is NOT just hearsay.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Well, you are either certain or you are not. Certainty is an absolute state - 99% doesn't come into it.

Unless you name names you could be just making it up. Big claims require big evidence. Don't be shy now. If we are going to scrape the barrel let's do it properly.

You want someone to libel themselves and boards.ie aswell??

are we aver truly 100% certain about anything that we didn't experience .

You want someone to libel themselves and boards.ie aswell??

But if it's true and has been referenced in a book already (which presumably was not the subject of a libel case) then why not name the player?

It's simple really - name the player or leave it out. It's just unfair on every other player on the team. As discussions go I think this one is as low as it gets. If everyone stuck to the terms of reference in the title and gave their own personal stories instead of descending into pub talk yarns, libel wouldn't need to be mentioned.

are we aver truly 100% certain about anything that we didn't experience .

Precisely my point. I'm probably old-fashioned but I don't understand the spreading of rumours or the perpetuating of old rumours of an especially nasty type. I have no idea who gains from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

My Dad was a selector on the club U-21 team one year. He overheard one of his own lads slagging off an opponent about a recently deceased uncle. So he was subbed off.

At half time the oul fella had words with him and ended up punching him in the head. Player was told not to show up for training again.

The player concerned told me the full story a few years later, I missed it as I was working in England at the time. Player said he always regretted saying what he did, so some good came out of it.

This would be early 90s, so the incident was left at that. You probably wouldn't get away with it today as quickly.

But if it's true and has been referenced in a book already (which presumably was not the subject of a libel case) then why not name the player?

It's simple really - name the player or leave it out. It's just unfair on every other player on the team. As discussions go I think this one is as low as it gets. If everyone stuck to the terms of reference in the title and gave their own personal stories instead of descending into pub talk yarns, libel wouldn't need to be mentioned.

sorry . can you point me in the direction of your post that follows your own rules.
    your contributions are just as off topic as mine. maybe more so.

I don't play gaa so cant comment on any first hand experience.

I'm sorry I didn't understand that any input have to be vetted and have references available

Precisely my point.

where do you draw the line. I heard the story several times and once by someone who was there and would know.
    what more can I do to make it 100%

• Advertisement

sorry . can you point me in the direction of your post that follows your own rules.
    your contributions are just as off topic as mine. maybe more so.

I don't play gaa so cant comment on any first hand experience.

I'm sorry I didn't understand that any input have to be vetted and have references available

I never mentioned my own posts, nor vetting or references. However, I am happy to discuss my posts by PM with you if you are that interested in them.

My issue is not that your posts are "off topic" - you can come on here and discuss Chinese music for all I care. I just think that spreading rumours about alleged nasty incidents does not reflect well on posters. It's what Eamon Sweeney memorably called 'rats feeding at the effluent pipe' when he spoke of GAA discussion boards. I see no value in it, though I realise I am probably in a minority.

Advertisement