Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Road Condition Warning thread

Options
  • 26-10-2017 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭

Winter nights coming back in, just to share some road warnings, bad condition roads, pot holes etc..

Out on the motorbike. Just a heads up for cyclists, on the Old Airport Road, Dublin heading southbound. Just after the Junction for the Airways Business Park across from Sports Link. There is a massive pothole. Keep an eye for it, would throw you over and give a nasty injury. You'd miss it till last second in dark as the slope is down hill it would be hard to see.

Feel free to share!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

TallGlass wrote: »
    Just a heads up for cyclists, on the Old Airport Road, Dublin heading southbound. Just after the Junction for the Airways Business Park across from Sports Link. There is a massive pothole...
    Just thinking that yesterday as I passed it. It's very deep. It keeps re-appearing every few months.

There are several others on that stretch which can be awkward if you're not aware of them and find yourself inside a passing bus with little opportunity to take evasive action.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Plenty of dodgy surface on the stretch mentioned in the OP. Best to keep to the right side of the bus lane to avoid them - especially on wet days when they can't be seen.

Another one that has appeared recently is a woeful repair job in the northbound cycle lane at the junction of Bolton Street and Capel Street. A dodgy 'tar and a smack of the back of a shovel' repair that has now sunk. Keep slightly right of the dotted cycle lane as you approach the Spar (usually you have no choice around 8am as the Gardaí park here while on 'refreshments' :) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Great idea OP fair play,
    It can be said for all areas around the Dublin mountains but in particular a big massive clunk of wet leaves have formed on the bend closest the Cruagh road side of MT Venus road...Just seen it at the last minute so was able to manoeuvre around it not a pleasant experience in the dark.

I may have to adjust the link.....
    Not sure what will pop up TBH...

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Mount+Venus+Rd,+Co.+Dublin/@53.2606521,-6.3003685,319m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x48670aff43f10c7b:0x6fd8e898446551ca!8m2!3d53.2620239!4d-6.3071786

Just after the r113 sign on the road....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2004048,-6.5033084,3a,75y,12.27h,78.96t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1soFruCzttSWuIY_hV8joQPQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Hope that link works

On the hard shoulder outside blessington, heading towards Tallaght / Dublin / Brittas.

A drain with the drainage holes running parallel with the road rather than perpendicular to it. Deadly dangerous if you don't see it - your wheel can go straight into it and probably smash a carbon fork.

It is installed that way presumably because of the driveway beside it. I find myself looking out for it everytime i am on that road, trying to remember which one it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Sticky this maybe?

• Advertisement

A mahoosive pothole has appeared in Santry. Southbound - just a few meters after where the new houses have been built. It's close to the kerb so beware. I was off work most of this week so the last time I passed that way was on my way home last Friday and I don't recall seeing it then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Great idea OP fair play,
    It can be said for all areas around the Dublin mountains but in particular a big massive clunk of wet leaves have formed on the bend closest the Cruagh road side of MT Venus road...

The leaves are an unsuspecting hazard till you find out how deadly they can be! They are so dangerous they stop trains if on the tracks.

But that said, most are aware I love Fairview Park, they are a serious hazard entering if coming from the Malahide Road into the park. The angle you have to turn at and the leaves, if you put any speed down you'll be fighting a tail whip from the rear end!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

crosstownk wrote: »
    A mahoosive pothole has appeared in Santry. Southbound - just a few meters after where the new houses have been built. It's close to the kerb so beware. I was off work most of this week so the last time I passed that way was on my way home last Friday and I don't recall seeing it then.
    I think that's the one the OP is referring to. It seems to have suddenly appeared on Monday or Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

TallGlass wrote:
    The leaves are an unsuspecting hazard till you find out how deadly they can be! They are so dangerous they stop trains if on the tracks.

My dad broke his hip after a slip on leaves on his Felt while training for the ROK a few years back. I've been so wary of them since.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

Came across a bad patch of sand on the road yesterday around back of lake drive. Going from Valleymount, through Ballyknockon, on one of the downhills at ballystockon, near enough to where the stocking festival is held, right on a bend at end of downhill, a huge thick patch of wet sand. Barely got through a car tyre width of space to avoid it and braking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

DDC1990 wrote: »
    My dad broke his hip after a slip on leaves on his Felt while training for the ROK a few years back. I've been so wary of them since.
    i was beeped at the other day, presumably for not staying in my proper place here (which fills up with leaves so you often can't even see where the kerb is). it you spin around to the other side of the road, it's even worse.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3707711,-6.233877,3a,75y,184.37h,64.05t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1si4ifw1XwebBRTN4CoUYk0Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

I think that's the one the OP is referring to. It seems to have suddenly appeared on Monday or Tuesday.

Ah OK. I mistakenly thought the OP referred to the multiple potholes and dodgy manhole covers in the bus lane alongside Airways Industrial Estate.

I was in the middle of the road earlier along a stretch with oncoming traffic backed right up at lights which is usual for the time of day , normally I'd keep in here and folks could pass me safe enough albeit tight but slow speeds involved but took the lane today. I'd say I'd needed to ride 500m + up a drag before the queuing on coming traffic ends and allows those behind to get by and the 1st guy passed has the window down and says "those leaves are f'n scourge" :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

might be worth having google street view links on any reports, so that people have a better idea of the location? e.g. in the one above, an occasional cyclist on that road might not know which industrial estate is the airways one.

i guess a general warning for around NCD (oldtown, the naul, etc.) for mud; could be general across the countryside?
    the climb up the first of the three sisters northbound from oldtown was fairly bad; can't say if the opposite direction is as bad though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Coming through NCD from Swords to Stamullen is bad in places due to much coming off tractors wheels. It wasn't too bad today since it was dry but yesterday morning it was a bit slippy in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Not a road exactly but the Phoenix Park trails have been left as is since Ex-hurricane Ophelia with trees and branches blocking the trail in various places.

I cleared what I could lift where I could this morning but I'd left my chainsaw in my other saddlebag.

Please St, Dublin. Don't usually frequent this road but between the Tesco and Fire Station the is a massive dip to the left of the road. It will either puncture your wheel, throw you over or both. Its a busy street so I would watch for other cyclists like myself doing last minute jobs.

crosstownk wrote: »
    Another one that has appeared recently is a woeful repair job in the northbound cycle lane at the junction of Bolton Street and Capel Street. A dodgy 'tar and a smack of the back of a shovel' repair that has now sunk.

This has now been repaired. It's not perfect but it's definitely acceptable and no further need to circumnavigate it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Fair play to DCC for the 8 min repair job

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »
    Fair play to DCC for the 8 min repair job

Well you'd expect that when 5/6 lads show up to fix a hole. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭billyhead

It might be worthwhile having this thread created as Ice/Frost is a as big as a threat to cyclists as impatient road users. Be careful tomorrow folks. Ice is forecast tonight. Hopefully the council will do their job and have the gritters out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Alek is at home now drooling while polishing his studded tyres 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭billyhead

Might take the hybrid bike in tomorrow myself as the tyres offer more traction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Hmm. Apparently the weather models are predicting a prolonged cold spell this side of Christmas. Next weekend will see somewhat milder temps. but the trend is for it to get colder from then on. Some talk of December 2010 going around.... don't need that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Just aheads up on R113 yet again....
    From Hunterswood to Dodderbrook estate...and possibly further up at the stocking lane side...
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2687328,-6.3378782,16z
    Due to the amount of new housing estates being built in the Ballycullen area the muck on the roads generated from the sites is making it lethal....
    Nearly hit the deck last night yet again...not even going fast..

Rang the council sent from roads to planning and then onto environment with no progress....
    Be very careful....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Contact local councillor and gardai, that's what got it cleaned for me

• Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Rang the council sent from roads to planning and then onto environment with no progress....
    Be very careful....

It's normally a planning enforcement issue, as there are usually planning conditions around keeping the site clean and not dragging muck out. But you'll need to make a planning enforcement complaint about specific sites to get action.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Just aheads up on R113 yet again....
    From Hunterswood to Dodderbrook estate...and possibly further up at the stocking lane side...
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2687328,-6.3378782,16z
    Due to the amount of new housing estates being built in the Ballycullen area the muck on the roads generated from the sites is making it lethal....
    Nearly hit the deck last night yet again...not even going fast..

Be very careful....

There is an outline Construction Traffic Management Plan for those sites. A legal planning document. Its a planning requirement. Not action ed by the developer

• Advertisement

if anyone is heading out the old N2, it's being resurfaced on the stretch past the coolquay lodge. let's hope it's different contractors to the ones who did the amateur job on the stretch north of there a year or two ago.

Advertisement