Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Transfer process

Options
  • 04-10-2017 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hiya lads, been attending ITT for just under a month now and already sick to the teeth of the travelling, the underwhelming nature of the IT (not to mention how much of a kip Tallaght itself is). Can anybody run me through the process for transferring to somewhere else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

mrhoppy wrote: »
    Hiya lads, been attending ITT for just under a month now and already sick to the teeth of the travelling, the underwhelming nature of the IT (not to mention how much of a kip Tallaght itself is). Can anybody run me through the process for transferring to somewhere else?
    Contact your department and they can help you. When you say transfer to somewhere else. What do you have in mind? Is it a similar course, do you have the points etc?
    Talk to someone. What do people at home think?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭mrhoppy

Contact your department and they can help you. When you say transfer to somewhere else. What do you have in mind? Is it a similar course, do you have the points etc?
    Talk to someone. What do people at home think?

I mean doing a similar course, provided I had the qualifications (points and requirements, etc). The folks are doing the whole "give it a chance" thing but if you know ITT you know there's nothing to actually give a chance so I'm stuck

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Hector Mildew

I mean doing a similar course, provided I had the qualifications (points and requirements, etc). The folks are doing the whole "give it a chance" thing but if you know ITT you know there's nothing to actually give a chance so I'm stuck

Is it really that bad - anything in particular? Just found your thread and interested because I have a nephew starting 6th year but thinking of going there.

Is it really that bad - anything in particular? Just found your thread and interested because I have a nephew starting 6th year but thinking of going there.

It's alright, like there's a café and a restaurant, but other than that there's little to no recreational facilities. The student's union is not very large at all, it's more like a little wooden hut than an actual building. It feels a lot like all work no play. Of course, college is meant to be about work but there needs to be stuff for you to do when you have free time and there's practically nothing. It's very underwhelming.

It's alright, like there's a café and a restaurant, but other than that there's little to no recreational facilities. The student's union is not very large at all, it's more like a little wooden hut than an actual building. It feels a lot like all work no play. Of course, college is meant to be about work but there needs to be stuff for you to do when you have free time and there's practically nothing. It's very underwhelming.
    What "stuff" would you like to do?
    Its up to students to help create societies and things to do in free time.

• Advertisement

What "stuff" would you like to do?
    Its up to students to help create societies and things to do in free time.

Well I mean instead of having to go to the Square or Metro or whatever shouldn't' there be more recreational facilities on campus? To be honest the SU is a small wooden hut at best that nearly nobody uses. If they developed it a bit then I guarantee they'd have a lot more students making use of it.

Well I mean instead of having to go to the Square or Metro or whatever shouldn't' there be more recreational facilities on campus? To be honest the SU is a small wooden hut at best that nearly nobody uses. If they developed it a bit then I guarantee they'd have a lot more students making use of it.
    Recreational facilities like what exactly?
    Youve complained a lot with no concrete ideas on what you'd like the campus/college to have?
    SU in a small college. Its not going to be that big or well supported.

Recreational facilities like what exactly?
    Youve complained a lot with no concrete ideas on what you'd like the campus/college to have?
    SU in a small college. Its not going to be that big or well supported.

Compare it to other ITs in Ireland. There's your answer

Like for a college in Dublin it isn't very well funded at all

Compare it to other ITs in Ireland. There's your answer
    Ive studied in ITT as well as another IT and university and ITTs socities measure up quite well.
    You still have not said anything specific on what you want the college to be providing? What do you want the SU to have they dont at the moment?

• Advertisement

Ive studied in ITT as well as another IT and university and ITTs socities measure up quite well.
    You still have not said anything specific on what you want the college to be providing? What do you want the SU to have they dont at the moment?

It isn't even the SU I'm talking about, I briefly mentioned it. I'm more talking about the facilities of the actual college. Compare it to IT Sligo for example. A much better funded college with much better facilities. It has several times the clubs and socs than those of ITT, much more/better rec facilities and a fairly decent SU.

Not to mention the fact that there are no on-campus accommodation options in ITT

It isn't even the SU I'm talking about, I briefly mentioned it. I'm more talking about the facilities of the actual college. Compare it to IT Sligo for example. A much better funded college with much better facilities. It has several times the clubs and socs than those of ITT, much more/better rec facilities and a fairly decent SU.
    The societies in ITT are actually very good. The ones there regularly win at BICs.
    Its up to students to create new societies and clubs.
    IT Sligo is considerably bigger than ITT so it will be better funded and have better facilities.

The societies in ITT are actually very good. The ones there regularly win at BICs.
    Its up to students to create new societies and clubs.
    IT Sligo is considerably bigger than ITT so it will be better funded and have better facilities.

The reason IT Sligo is bigger is because it was better funded in the first place. ITT has little to no decent facilities and if you look into it, it was actually an old engineering building for Raymark. Not that it has anything to do with it, just pointing it out.

The reason IT Sligo is bigger is because it was better funded in the first place. ITT has little to no decent facilities and if you look into it, it was actually an old engineering building for Raymark. Not that it has anything to do with it, just pointing it out.
    Its up to students to look for and create opportunities.
    You complain about facilities but students can create societies and look for funding and develop ideas/events that can keep students interested and involved
    You still havent said what facilities you would like?

Its up to students to look for and create opportunities.
    You complain about facilities but students can create societies and look for funding and develop ideas/events that can keep students interested and involved
    You still havent said what facilities you would like?

Decent ones. Y'know, a place for students to hang around in. The Cube and the Coffee Dock are constantly full, the SU is too small to have any more than about 10 people in it and that's all there is. More places for students to spend their free time in. Stuff like that.

mrhoppy wrote:
    Decent ones. Y'know, a place for students to hang around in. The Cube and the Coffee Dock are constantly full, the SU is too small to have any more than about 10 people in it and that's all there is. More places for students to spend their free time in. Stuff like that.
    but specifically what do you want. Places to hang around in? Anything more. If you have so many issues get involved and help create events/spaces for events to be held.
    Your criticisms are unfair especially as you want everything provided for you. If you want improvements do something about it rather than just complain

but specifically what do you want. Places to hang around in? Anything more. If you have so many issues get involved and help create events/spaces for events to be held.
    Your criticisms are unfair especially as you want everything provided for you. If you want improvements do something about it rather than just complain

I get that, fair enough. It's just incredibly difficult to try and get stuff done

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Dylan97

Any chance your an engineering student ?

Dylan97 wrote: »
    Any chance your an engineering student ?

I am, how'd you know?

• Advertisement

I'm one too and I find with all engineers they have the same complaints , their is plenty to do around the college it's just engineers have so much workload we rarely get a chance to do it , I travel 2 hours a day for the last year, it can be annoying but hey it will be worth it.

I'm one too and I find with all engineers they have the same complaints , their is plenty to do around the college it's just engineers have so much workload we rarely get a chance to do it , I travel 2 hours a day for the last year, it can be annoying but hey it will be worth it.

I'm the same. I travel 2 hours a day for something I find very underwhelming. And me being an engineering student has got nothing to do with it, even when I do have time the only thing I can do is sit in the Coffee Dock and drink tea

I'm the same. I travel 2 hours a day for something I find very underwhelming. And me being an engineering student has got nothing to do with it, even when I do have time the only thing I can do is sit in the Coffee Dock and drink tea

Ye I suppose I get what your saying, did you mix in well with the year? First semester can be a bit slow paced especially if you have a fair idea about maths etc,

suppose try get a transfer to dit or somewhere closer, a student from my year went transfered dit and came back said it was dull and rundown, the college is quite good in terms of engineering and some of the lectures are brilliant, I'd stick it out man the degree will get you places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Did you check with the SU what clubs and societies are around?

Did you check with the SU what clubs and societies are around?

Yep. Problem is I live two hours away by public transport and so I've got practically no time to participate in anything, otherwise I'll end up being home very very very late.

Ye I suppose I get what your saying, did you mix in well with the year? First semester can be a bit slow paced especially if you have a fair idea about maths etc,

suppose try get a transfer to dit or somewhere closer, a student from my year went transfered dit and came back said it was dull and rundown, the college is quite good in terms of engineering and some of the lectures are brilliant, I'd stick it out man the degree will get you places.

Yeah my plan is to either go to DkIT or wait until Grangegorman is finished. Either way I get the feeling I'll be happier.

Actually in all fairness, the preferable option would be to go to somewhere in a different part of Ireland altogether, like Galway or Sligo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Yep. Problem is I live two hours away by public transport and so I've got practically no time to participate in anything, otherwise I'll end up being home very very very late.

That suggests your issue is not with the college, but your personal circumstances travelling. There are societies there but it doesn't suit you to use them as you will get home late.

ITT is a smaller college, with smaller groups but has the exact same qualifications as the others. As someone else mentioned, in the likes of DCU, you would be in a much bigger group with less personal attention. Also, are the other colleges accreditted by Engineers Ireland? ITT got theirs just last Friday. I believe a lot of the other colleges do not have this.

I reckon you are in Faraday - is that correct? If the problem is the travelling, you should look for somewhere close to stay locally.

If its still a big issue, have a quiet word with one of you lecturers, or above them, James whatshisname.

That suggests your issue is not with the college, but your personal circumstances travelling. There are societies there but it doesn't suit you to use them as you will get home late.

ITT is a smaller college, with smaller groups but has the exact same qualifications as the others. As someone else mentioned, in the likes of DCU, you would be in a much bigger group with less personal attention. Also, are the other colleges accreditted by Engineers Ireland? ITT got theirs just last Friday. I believe a lot of the other colleges do not have this.

I reckon you are in Faraday - is that correct? If the problem is the travelling, you should look for somewhere close to stay locally.

If its still a big issue, have a quiet word with one of you lecturers, or above them, James whatshisname.

The vast majority of colleges/universities have already been accredited by Engineers Ireland. IT Tallaght was actually quite late getting their accreditation.

Regarding smaller class sizes I feel very much like there's always someone on my back. Like there's too much personal attention. This feels very overbearing and feels a little on the uncomfortable side.

sugarman wrote: »
    So you're just concerned about the social side of things then? ...and not your education at all? :rolleyes:

I graduated from there 7 years ago, and there was a hell of a lot less back then than there is now yet we all still had a blast.

SU used to be smaller, but it was always well equipped with a Pool table, Dart boards, TV's with PS/Xbox, DVDs & Films.. what more do you really want?

Societies were class, was part of Poker, Video Games, Footie, Karting, Paint-balling to name a few and they were all well run. Just because you havent time to join/attend isnt anyone else fault and doesnt take away from the fact theyre there and genuinely good.

Theres also the various sports teams which have won plenty of honors over the years.. GAA/Hurling always doing well and again very well organized , along with football and basketball.

Other than whats on campus, around campus... theres the Square, OK its not great but it has plenty of restaurants and a Cinema. The Library. Several Gyms. The bowling alley with Snooker/Pool/Qzar and Arcade games. 2 Swimming Pools. The Metro, The Dragon and Molloys pubs.

What else do you want?

All that aside, education wise.. Its probably the best education you'll recieve. I've studied in other colleges and the best by far was at Tallaght. The small class numbers, being more or less on a one on one basis with your lecturers each day. Getting to know them personally and being able to give them a call or email whenever you need something, especially if youre struggling and need the help or whatever.

You go to a bigger IT or Uni, youre just a number. No one on one, no additional help, no leeway on assignments being late etc...

Like I said just there to ScouseMouse, the smaller class sizes feel very overbearing, as the lecturers seek you out when an assignment is late or you've been out and whatnot. It's a little on the uncomfortable side.

SU is still incredibly small. Nothing new since you graduated it seems.

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    I graduated from there 7 years ago, and there was a hell of a lot less back then than there is now yet we all still had a blast

I can safely say there isn't anything new since you graduated.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement