Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

storage options?

• 17-11-2017 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

is it possible to store your coins on a piece of paper or on a normal usb or do u recommend getting a trezor wallet / ledger nano?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Shauny2010

Yes a paper wallet can be done. https://youtu.be/VTsHeiBhPIM Great for long term holding or if you wanted to gift some bitcoin to someone
    trezor / ledger nano :- Great if you are worried about your online security. Not so great if you loose the usb key. Have you ever lost one of those usb keys ?
    A standard bitcoin wallet like Electrum is the best option. Just make sure to write down the seed :- thats the important retoration code. Just follow this tutorial to do so. https://youtu.be/WdVlH9N2oKU

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I presume the answer to this is no but since I see people all the time saying keep your bitcoin in a wallet I'll ask. Can you move your bitcoin off an online exchange but still be able to trade it? I'd like to keep what I have safe but I'm also using it in trades to try and increase it over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Shauny2010

No
    To trade your bitcoin you need to move it onto an exchange. The thing about these exchanges too is that when there is some major price action like a crash in the price then their is nearly always delays and outages when trying to access or send coins to the exchange to trade

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭covfefe

Shauny2010 wrote: »
    Yes a paper wallet can be done. https://youtu.be/VTsHeiBhPIM Great for long term holding or if you wanted to gift some bitcoin to someone
    trezor / ledger nano :- Great if you are worried about your online security. Not so great if you loose the usb key. Have you ever lost one of those usb keys ?
    A standard bitcoin wallet like Electrum is the best option. Just make sure to write down the seed :- thats the important retoration code. Just follow this tutorial to do so. https://youtu.be/WdVlH9N2oKU

You don't lose your funds if you lose a hardware wallet, you will also have the seed backed up (ideally that seed should never have touched a computer/the internet).

I have a hardware wallet, I did have the seed written down on paper but wanted something more resilient so I engraved (with a Dremel) the seed onto something (x 2) with a very high melting point that are now well hidden.

I would consider a hardware wallet safer than using Electrum.

For a small amount a phone wallet is fine, I held a lot of funds on Mycelium for years with no issues. But made sure I always used an unrooted phone and practice good personal security (never reuse passwords, be vigilant when visiting sites especially involving financial transactions, be wary of links in emails etc.)

What I did was:
    • Install Mycelium and take note of the seed.
    • Wipe the app and try to restore.
    • Send a small amount to this wallet.
    • Wipe the app again and try to restore.
    • Wipe the app again and do a restore but this time enter a password (very strong), this will generate a new wallet.
    • Send the rest of your funds here.
    • Wipe the app and restore the first wallet.

Now you have 2 wallets with the same seed (1 with a password and 1 without). I left the one with the small amount on my phone, I kept an eye on it every so often (who am I kidding, it was every 10 minutes!).

Then if I did get hacked and saw the funds from the first wallet moving that would give me a chance to retrieve the funds from the main wallet presuming my password was strong enough.

I was comfortable with this approach for holding 6 figures, maybe I was just lucky to not get robbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

Does anybody have any issues with just using Jaxx?

I have Jaxx, can have two copies, one on home laptop, one on phone.
    I only keep a few k there but I feel it's safe. I have a security key for sending coins and I have my backup phrase printed and secured at home for restoring if needed. Should I be doing more?

I have have more coins on an exchange, again not a huge amount. I have 24 hr funds transfer delay enabled, two factor, no logins from unknown IPs etc. I feel ok with this, should I?

How do people feel about the safety of using the jaxx chrome extension?

I'm concerned about he USB options as I'm not sure what happens if I lose the key or it becomes corrupt.

• Advertisement

Just a revive of this issue.

I know it's a bit of a piece of string question but what are your opinions of amounts that is safe to keep in bitfinex or any exchange?

I'm thinking of getting a hardware wallet but not sure which one and how to store.
    If I get the Nano S for example and I lose it, can I restore once I have my pass phrase?

I have money on 3 exchanges and money in a phone wallet, I've spread it about but I'd be unhappy to lose any or those various amounts.
    Am I better to consolidate to one hardware ledger? Or even a paper wallet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

Wanna,
    I'll try to answer your queries, but please keep in mind the following are just my opinions -- other folk might well disagree with me. :)
    Just a revive of this issue.

I know it's a bit of a piece of string question but what are your opinions of amounts that is safe to keep in bitfinex or any exchange?
    Zero. Zilch.
    Be aware that you do not own YOUR coins if you keep them on an exchange. All you have is an IOU from a company operating in an unregulated environment. Any exchange can go bust, get hacked, do an exit scam. All these things have actually happened in recent years. In such an eventuality, you would end up with nothing.
    You mentioned Bitfinex -- it has been hacked twice in the last two years. In the 2016 hack, Bitfinex customers were subjected to a 30% haircur of their funds.
    I'm thinking of getting a hardware wallet but not sure which one and how to store.
    Get one if you have over a €1,000 worth of coins to your name. Which one is up to you. User reviews of the Nano are excellent. I have a Trezor and I have no complaints. The Nano is cheaper, I believe.
    If I get the Nano S for example and I lose it, can I restore once I have my pass phrase?
    Yes you can.
    I have money on 3 exchanges and money in a phone wallet, I've spread it about but I'd be unhappy to lose any or those various amounts.
    Am I better to consolidate to one hardware ledger? Or even a paper wallet?
    Yes, consolidate the three exchange amounts into one offline wallet.
    Funnily, I would have no argument against having a small amount -- say €100 max -- on a phone wallet for day-to-day spending.

Pro,

Thanks. without revealing too much I have a enough to justify buying a hardware wallet.
    I've spent the day reading and have decided on Trezor for now, may get a Nano also to have two separate accounts as such.
    Trezor has the addition option to add my own pass phrase as an extra level of security.

Thanks for you input and I agree with thoughts on exchange, I intend to remove asap but have stuff like Neo, ripple and Iota which
    it's hard to find a wallet for.

The Nano S supports more coins though it seems, which is obv a bit advantage.

Trezor has the addition option to add my own pass phrase as an extra level of security.
    That secret extra passphrase in Trezor is a killer function! An absolute genius invention by Trezor.
    Because ........................ as well as providing an extra security level, it also creates a decoy wallet. So, if you are commanded by a court order, if you are asked at a border crossing, if you are threatened by a criminal, etc, to disclose your Trezor wallet, you give it to them. This is the decoy wallet containing a small amount. What they don't know, and will never know, is that there are further secret wallets able to be opened only with the secret passphrase which is known only to you and which you keep in your head. If you are served with a court order to hand over your PIN and you do so, then, you have complied with the law. But this is the decoy wallet. The real stuff is hidden. :rolleyes:
    The Trezor team are genius people. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭covfefe

You can also use an additional password with the Nano S, essentially a 25th word, allowing you to create multiple hidden wallets.

I use a Nano S, it was a flick of a coin whether to go with that or a Trezor. I went for the Nano S as everything is entered on the device,which I though may be a little more secure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

I have a Nano S.. fairly easy and intuitive to use.. The thing that scares me is having to delete apps on the device to make way for other apps. I have some NEO on Bittrexx and want to store on the Nano S, but need to delete one of my existing crypto wallets on the Nano S to make way. Apparently you don't lose your private keys when you delete a crypto wallet.

Ledger is offering a 21% OFF Black Friday Deal on the Nano S on today, 25th, 26th, and 27th.
    https://www.ledgerwallet.com/

Forgot to add in an earlier post, I would advise NOT to buy a Trezor or Ledger from an Amazon reseller or any other third party -- only buy from the original manufacturer.

Ledger is offering a 21% OFF Black Friday Deal on the Nano S on today, 25th, 26th, and 27th.
    https://www.ledgerwallet.com/

Forgot to add in an earlier post, I would advise NOT to buy a Trezor or Ledger from an Amazon reseller or any other third party -- only buy from the original manufacturer.

Nice one, just bought one! paid with BTC!

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

at how much money in cryptocurrency should you consider moving to a wallet.

I have a small amount on an exchange at the moment so nothing crazy, is it worth my while getting a ledger or is that only for the big boys.

also, does it cost money every time you send money to and fro the ledger and coinbase

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Diversifying your coins across various platforms and wallets is the best option. If you just plan to buy and hold then Electrum is a also great option and can be linked to the ledger Nani for 2FA also. I work with a bit of column A and column B.

I guess it's one you're carrying around with you all the time though so obv more likely to lose. I have an S6 and can't find it. Is it an app or what?

Shauny2010 wrote:
    No To trade your bitcoin you need to move it onto an exchange. The thing about these exchanges too is that when there is some major price action like a crash in the price then their is nearly always delays and outages when trying to access or send coins to the exchange to trade

Jaxx has shape shift which allows you to exchange currency within the app. Fees seem high though

is it possible to store your coins on a piece of paper or on a normal usb or do u recommend getting a trezor wallet / ledger nano?

I bought a nano but haven't got it yet. Trevor only supports btc, eth and ltc, which is annoying. Really want to get one but this is a bit of a limitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭deathtocaptcha

Ledger Nano S is the only way to go for me if you're holding €1k+ in crypto.

As for losing it, you could buy two, set up one, back it up and then restore on to the other so you'd effectively have a backup device should one go missing.

Or, you could simply hide your private key in plain sight through using your own scrambling techniques. For example you could split your private key in to 10 chunks and write one chunk down in every 'x' page in a book. If that doesn't go far enough, you could use invisible ink... and add a decoy chunk in between the 10.

Sometimes people get so hung up on keeping their private key private that they don't realise they can store it in plain sight which even would-be hackers don't think about because everyone assumes if you have a private key, you'd have it stored in one chunk in some file or written down somewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Ledger Nano S is the only way to go for me if you're holding €1k+ in crypto.

As for losing it, you could buy two, set up one, back it up and then restore on to the other so you'd effectively have a backup device should one go missing.

Or, you could simply hide your private key in plain sight through using your own scrambling techniques. For example you could split your private key in to 10 chunks and write one chunk down in every 'x' page in a book. If that doesn't go far enough, you could use invisible ink... and add a decoy chunk in between the 10.

Sometimes people get so hung up on keeping their private key private that they don't realise they can store it in plain sight which even would-be hackers don't think about because everyone assumes if you have a private key, you'd have it stored in one chunk in some file or written down somewhere...

I already have a trezor, but their dev team seems less pro-active than the ledger nano team in terms of support for more alt coins.

Having quite a few vertcoins (and some ripple), I'd prefer to be able to store them somewhere else other than destop wallets.

Ditto with regard to Neo- which I have a considerable sum of, I'm pretty sure the neon wallet can be used in conjunction with the ledger?

ZeroThreat wrote: »

Ditto with regard to Neo- which I have a considerable sum of, I'm pretty sure the neon wallet can be used in conjunction with the ledger?

The nano ledger site says it supports Neo anyway, so I'm assuming it does, yes.

Still torn on the two devices. Am awaiting delivery of the nano s atm but really want to secure my other funds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SkySter

at how much money in cryptocurrency should you consider moving to a wallet.

I have a small amount on an exchange at the moment so nothing crazy, is it worth my while getting a ledger or is that only for the big boys.

also, does it cost money every time you send money to and fro the ledger and coinbase

thanks

Sending money to and from the ledger or any wallet is a transaction and these always incur fees. For me it is good value. Even if my holding is modest it may not always be so the way things are going.

The nano ledger site says it supports Neo anyway, so I'm assuming it does, yes.

Still torn on the two devices. Am awaiting delivery of the nano s atm but really want to secure my other funds.

I can confirm the nano works 100% with the Neon wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Is coinbase safe?

I am very new to all of this. Downloaded the app and bought a miniscule amount of btc and slightly more ltc. I plan to add to it every fortnight after bills are paid in the hopes that it can be a little nest egg. I know it can crash but it's a risk I'm willing to take.

cruais wrote: »
    Is coinbase safe?

I am very new to all of this. Downloaded the app and bought a miniscule amount of btc and slightly more ltc. I plan to add to it every fortnight after bills are paid in the hopes that it can be a little nest egg. I know it can crash but it's a risk I'm willing to take.

Turn on two factor authentication. Not perfect but better than not having it.

cruais wrote: »
    Is coinbase safe?

It's an exchange, after reading a lot more on the subject I decided to buy a Nano S and a trezor. At the very least I'd have whatever you have on a phone wallet or paper, both are free.

For a phone wallet I'd xfer a little to it first, the wipe, restore and if the money is there I'd move the rest there. Androids are notoriously hackably so I'd be careful if you have one.

I do have a smallish amount on a few exchanges.
    I have 2FA enable, I also have mail and 2FA enable if I want to xfer money from my account. So my bitfinex accounts need me to sign-in, 2FA, withdraw, need to 2FA at that point too and then I receive a mail that confirms I want to send.

Be as careful as you can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Just waiting on my nano to move everything too. Feel like I have enough to up my security.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Any good desktop or iOS wallets anyone would recommend?

Got my Trezor today. Did anybody test the seed when they bought or just copy coins down? I don't mind testing the seed but have gone through the processes, written it down, had that verified by somebody while we went through the 24 words again. So I think the only issue would be if the seed didn't work not my spelling or order I took it down in). Advice welcome. There is an option to wipe the device, so I may do that and try the seed recovery.

Nano s arriving tomorrow, will do a comparison review.

So I think the only issue would be if the seed didn't work not my spelling or order I took it down in). Advice welcome.
    It WILL work, Wanna ! Don't worry yourself unduly. :)
    But by all means do test it if you need to reassure yourself. But from what you mentioned -- double-checking the words as you wrote them down -- there are really no concerns.

I did in fact test mine when I got it a couple of years back, for one reason. I noticed that two of the 24-word seed were identical words. I panicked and thought I had made an error when writing down. But all was well. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Why risk writing them down at all? Just take a picture or screenshot of the words and either print this out or keep the photo file somewhere very safe then delete original photo. I've heard of a few cases where people have lost alot of funds by writing down their see incorrectly.

Advertisement