Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Guess what Mad_Lad got this time?

Comments

The Light was horrible today for taking pictures.

But really lovely car to drive, good handling and the extra power is great !

Extra EV range is also nice, 71 Kms driven and 55% battery left, the Leaf would be about 18-20% , it was really horrible driving conditions today and the I3 was not preheated from the mains and has no heat pump because it's the Rex.

Seeing another estimated 130 Kms from the Rex was also pretty cool.

8POY2bt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭micks_address

The Light was horrible today for taking pictures.

But really lovely car to drive, good handling and the extra power is great !

Extra EV range is also nice, 71 Kms driven and 55% battery left, the Leaf would be about 18-20% , it was really horrible driving conditions today and the I3 was not preheated from the mains and has no heat pump because it's the Rex.

Seeing another estimated 130 Kms from the Rex was also pretty cool.

8POY2bt.jpg

What's the range when fully charged? May I ask how you did deal wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Orebro

Congrats and well wear! What a change it will make to be free of the public infrastructure.

What's the range when fully charged? May I ask how you did deal wise?

37,700 12K for Leaf - difference in balance on PCP.

basically, 10 K down and 450 PM x 36. , 14,500 GFMV with around 100,000 odd Kms end of lease.

Orebro wrote: »
    Congrats and well wear! What a change it will make to be free of the public infrastructure.

I don't use the public network much and mostly because I avoided very long trips.

I'll still use the network when I arrive at a charger and it's not in use and I'll still use the AC points, with the 11 Kw AC charger I'll get in 2 hrs 22 Kwh which was what the 24 Kwh Leaf could store 100% charge, warmer weather and new battery. 11 Kw is very useful and will free me more from hanging around at DC chargers.

The Key difference here is having the option to use the charging network or not. If it's in use or in use with another car waiting I can simply drive on to the next point if needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,201 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

That will be 26000 for 3 years driving if zero equity at end.
    I guess fuel savings make it feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,803 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Best of luck Abram Unkempt Risk, she's a beauty

mickdw wrote: »

Electricity costs for commute will be very little over 142 Kms, I may have to charge at home for about 1 hr to guarantee a return trip back to work + pre heat. In Summer probably won't need to charge at home.

One thing that bugs me is that there's absolutely no way to set a start and end timer, only charge immediately and set off peak time and it will charge within that time depending on whether the charge point has enough power etc then it may have to charge some on peak electricity.

So basically that means the car will always ensure a 100% charge which I do not want at all especially when I am off shift and just need enough for pottering about. I really wish I had more control over charging.

So for to get back to work I might need 3 Kwh of leccy for example or less but I can't set the car to charge for 1 hr, it's all or nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 umbauk

Nice! Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,842 ✭✭✭Soarer

basically, 10 K down and 450 PM x 36. , 14,500 GFMV with around 100,000 odd Kms end of lease.

But you didn't own the Leaf did you? Did you have to buy it out first from your previous pcp?

Lovely car btw. What options came with it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Best of luck with it. Nice car. They're pretty eye catching out on the road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Will it be ok to drive on long motorway journeys?

What Level of NCAP rating does it have?

Cool car btw. Head turner. I think bmw are ahead in ev design and function

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Best of luck with it Abram Unkempt Risk!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Love the car, Abram Unkempt Risk!

We’ll wear!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Autochange wrote: »

I've done trips up to 4000km in my i3 using rapid charging all the way.

Four stars. Should have been five but for either of two issues being resolved, pedestrian safety (due to bonnet shape) and there was a paperwork issue with what percentage of cars were expected to ship with the active collision avoidance and pedestrian detection that caused those features not to be tested/counted in the score.

Practically the whole team that built the i3 and i8 left BMW for Tesla and various chinese manufacturers. The cause was a lack of support from management and a pause on further EV development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

I was thinking about this

Was scepitcal as well, but I couldn't think of an ICE that was a year old, similar acceleration and much cheaper

Abram Unkempt Risk will save 3-3.5k a year in fuel/motor tax compared to similar performance ICE, so the ICE has to be about 27k

I was thinking 171 Seat Leon FR 240bhp

Cant think of much else 171 cars that can match an I3 in a straight line, a year old, just over 25k

Will need about 200bhp to match electric car acceleration and 40mpg, low tax etc for running costs

Soarer wrote: »
    But you didn't own the Leaf did you? Did you have to buy it out first from your previous pcp?

Lovely car btw. What options came with it?

No , to buy the Leaf would have cost me 11,300 which I would have had to wait until the 24th January to pay which is when my lease would have been up and I jumped at the chance when I saw the I3 come up with the spec it has, it's rare to find one with the spec in Ireland, the odd one hear and there , this was a dealer car and they added a lot of spec and it cost a pretty penny new so the savings are huge.

So anyway, that money to pay the Leaf off went on the I3, it was a no brainer. Basically, with 5 K more down than on the new Leaf I have a far nicer car to sit in and drive, the monthly repayments are pretty much the same. Oh and it cost me about 400 to match the balance on the lease + they gave me about 300 towards it.

You can drive the I3 on the motorway as long as you have batter power or petrol or both. Filling up takes seconds with it's 9 litre tank and that will take you 90-120 kms I believe.

When the battery charge depletes to about 75 % you can use what's called the charge hold function which will run the generator and maintain the battery level for when you're driving slower and/or get off the motorway.

On my test drive in July I managed, if I remember correctly , about 450 Kms on battery power alone. I did charge on the way home for 50 odd mins from about 10-95% Which is a lot faster than a 24 Kwh Leaf, particularly to 80%. We were having a meal after the long drive and that's why we waited so long, I was peeping out to see if anyone was waiting as I hadn't got my sign with my number on the dash.

But really the greatest advantage with the Rex is the ability to go anywhere and if you're really worried you can carry a 5 litre can of petrol in the boot or a 20 litre Jerry can.

BMW made a terrific car and I did criticise it in the beginning mainly for not using more batteries etc but thinking about it after they made a really good decision with the rex and having the ability not to have it if you wanted the battery only version. It's got the best EV only range of any plug in available, battery costs were high at the time and then the space to add any more meaningful range wasn't there.

And when I think about it , this is the route Nissan should have taken in the beginning and I guarantee the Leaf would have sold in much larger numbers, a small petrol for backup, they could have even made the leaf a bit larger if needed to compensate for the generator but Nissan were more interested in being the first to release the first affordable EV only car.

The I3 is a small car but perfect for my needs, I can fit my 1 year 11 month old and 3.5 year old in no problem, I can fit a small buggy in and room for some shopping and this time I can convince my Partner to take the I3 if we want to go on a much longer drive which she wouldn't entertain even the thought in the Leaf. If we need more space we can take the Outlander.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Congrats on the new car.
    snip

And when I think about it , this is the route Nissan should have taken in the beginning and I guarantee the Leaf would have sold in much larger numbers, a small petrol for backup, they could have even made the leaf a bit larger if needed to compensate for the generator but Nissan were more interested in being the first to release the first affordable EV only car.

snip

I disagree here. Nissan made the right decision and proved that a BEV (even with limited range) could be a very suitable and attractive option for many. I can honestly say that I wouldn't be driving en EV right now were it not for knowing that the Leaf was on the road....even though it was not my first choice. For those who couldn't afford to get behind the wheel of a Tesla, the Leaf was the default option. I now see at least 2 or 3 of them if I make a trip into the city and back. There are 3 Leafs in the in-laws housing estate within 300M of eachother. I just wish Nissan had made it a better looking car :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

1hDZygj.jpg

That is a fine shed

Where could I get one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,842 ✭✭✭Soarer

No , to buy the Leaf would have cost me 11,300 which I would have had to wait until the 24th January to pay which is when my lease would have been up and I jumped at the chance when I saw the I3 come up with the spec it has, it's rare to find one with the spec in Ireland, the odd one hear and there , this was a dealer car and they added a lot of spec and it cost a pretty penny new so the savings are huge.

So anyway, that money to pay the Leaf off went on the I3, it was a no brainer. Basically, with 5 K more down than on the new Leaf I have a far nicer car to sit in and drive, the monthly repayments are pretty much the same. Oh and it cost me about 400 to match the balance on the lease + they gave me about 300 towards it.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but I still don't get it.

How could they take the Leaf in part payment when you didn't own it?

It doesn't matter either way like, as you've obviously worked it all out.

The shed is plastic and tiny I think my another for it in BNQ.

Because RCI Banque don’t care what happens as long as they get everything down to the 9 cent. I could burn the car for all they care.

The dealer takes ownership once they pay the balance.

goz83 wrote: »
    Congrats on the new car.

I disagree here. Nissan made the right decision and proved that a BEV (even with limited range) could be a very suitable and attractive option for many. I can honestly say that I wouldn't be driving en EV right now were it not for knowing that the Leaf was on the road....even though it was not my first choice. For those who couldn't afford to get behind the wheel of a Tesla, the Leaf was the default option. I now see at least 2 or 3 of them if I make a trip into the city and back. There are 3 Leafs in the in-laws housing estate within 300M of eachother. I just wish Nissan had made it a better looking car :P

The leaf is a great car and ultra reliable but the limited range meant it was very restrictive , yes someone has the choice to buy it or not , my point being that if it had an option of a generator it would appeal to a huge extra number of people particularly one car households.

The leaf couldn’t even meet the 100 mile range Nissan promised.

The generator would also have meant it could compensate for any battery capacity loss.

He would have got a settlement figure to buy out the leaf from Nissan. Bmw then make an offer as to what they think it's worth on trade in. If that is more than settlement figure, Madrid gets the difference as deposit into new car. If offer is less than settlement, Madrid has to pay difference either up front or rolled into new finance. Bmw will set up new finance and clear the finance on the leaf.

He would have got a settlement figure to buy out the leaf from Nissan. Bmw then make an offer as to what they think it's worth on trade in. If that is more than settlement figure, Madlad gets the difference as deposit into new car. If offer is less than settlement, Madlad has to pay difference either up front or rolled into new finance. Bmw will set up new finance and clear the finance on the leaf.

He would have got a settlement figure to buy out the leaf from Nissan. Bmw then make an offer as to what they think it's worth on trade in. If that is more than settlement figure, Madlad gets the difference as deposit into new car. If offer is less than settlement, Madlad has to pay difference either up front or rolled into new finance. Bmw will set up new finance and clear the finance on the leaf.
    In effect, even though bmw took in the leaf, it only roughly covered the money owed on it so the new deal for Madlad is similar cost wise to buying without trade in.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but I still don't get it..............

I hear ya :)

In effect, even though bmw took in the leaf, it only roughly covered the money owed on it so the new deal for Madlad is similar cost wise to buying without trade in.

So effectively "gave back" (cut his ties with) the Leaf (as in he doesn't have it anymore) :)

€10k deposit (paid by Abram Unkempt Risk)
    €450 PM x 36 for next 3 years ) €16200 (to be paid by Abram Unkempt Risk)
    €14,500 GFMV
    That's €40,700 if he buys it in 3 years time.

The €12k for the Leaf comment I've bolded is a strange way to phrase it IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Augeo wrote: »
    I hear ya :)

So effectively "gave back" (cut his ties with) the Leaf (as in he doesn't have it anymore) :)

€10k deposit (paid by Abram Unkempt Risk)
    €450 PM x 36 for next 3 years ) €16200 (to be paid by Abram Unkempt Risk)
    €14,500 GFMV
    That's €40,700 if he buys it in 3 years time.

The €12k for the Leaf comment I've bolded is a strange way to phrase it IMO.

In other words - Abram Unkempt Risk was allowed to do what was right for him, regardless we agree or disagree on cost value

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

The leaf is a great car and ultra reliable but the limited range meant it was very restrictive , yes someone has the choice to buy it or not , my point being that if it had an option of a generator it would appeal to a huge extra number of people particularly one car households.

The leaf couldn’t even meet the 100 mile range Nissan promised.

The generator would also have meant it could compensate for any battery capacity loss.

I understand your point but I think that while adding a rex to the leaf may have increased sales (it may have also cost sales) it would have had had a bigger cost to the uptake of BEVs in general. The leaf got lots of people into EVs

Advertisement