Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anthony Daly - Kilmacud Crokes

• 22-11-2017 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

I find Anthony Dalys new position as Kilmacud Crokes Hurling manager strange or weird or something unsettling maybe... compared to what the majority of GAA clubs can aspire to.. or maybe would want to aspire to.. it just seems at odds with what the GAA is about..
    I know he's a professional pundit in and around hurling ect and seems a sound man.. and Dublin is a different proposition when it comes to GAA and the parish thing.. but like WTF!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

€€€€€€€

• Registered Users Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

thread needs this
    DIjDsaRWsAAiYeu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭threeball

LMK wrote: »
    I find Anthony Dalys new position as Kilmacud Crokes Hurling manager strange or weird or something unsettling maybe... compared to what the majority of GAA clubs can aspire to.. or maybe would want to aspire to.. it just seems at odds with what the GAA is about..
    I know he's a professional pundit in and around hurling ect and seems a sound man.. and Dublin is a different proposition when it comes to GAA and the parish thing.. but like WTF!

Dublin Gaa from Club to county is swamped in money. It has been for years. Only difference here is that hes so high profile. But the big clubs have been paying players and managers for years. It happens down the country but its a different level in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

That man knows the smell of a £

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭corny

**** way to start a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

threeball wrote: »
    Dublin Gaa from Club to county is swamped in money. It has been for years. Only difference here is that hes so high profile. But the big clubs have been paying players and managers for years. It happens down the country but its a different level in Dublin.

That is an outrageous allegation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Does Daly have a proper job?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Crokes probably pay more than many smaller counties to be honest.

Best of luck to him anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Bonniedog wrote:

I'm outraged and upset and outraged

• Advertisement

liam7831 wrote: »
    I'm outraged and upset and outraged

So long as you think it is amusing that someone accuses players of breaking the fundamental rule of the GAA. Without any evidence whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

Bonniedog wrote: »
    So long as you think it is amusing that someone accuses players of breaking the fundamental rule of the GAA. Without any evidence whatsoever.

Do you reckon Daly is taking this job for his love of Kilmacud Crokes?

elefant wrote: »
    Do you reckon Daly is taking this job for his love of Kilmacud Crokes?

Perhaps you should read my last post and the one with the part in bold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Shame he didnt have an interest in managing his own club next year

Strange he would make the commute to Dublin 3 or 4 times a week instead

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Bonniedog wrote:

I've heard a rumour about one player about 7 or 8 years ago looking for money to switch. It didn't end well for them. That's the only time I ever heard of it anywhere in the 32 counties (for players). Again it was a rumour

Outside of Ireland it's a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

A round trip from Kilmihil to Kilmacud is approx 540 km's so Daly could legitimately receive €450 per session for a lot of the sessions based on civil service mileage rates (depending on size of car engine, mileage done during the year etc). That would be tax free and above board. I would imagine he would also be entitled to a subsistence amount also!

Stoner wrote: »
    I've heard a rumour about one player about 7 or 8 years ago looking for money to switch. It didn't end well for them. That's the only time I ever heard of it anywhere in the 32 counties (for players). Again it was a rumour

Outside of Ireland it's a different story.

Only ever heard of one club here offering serious -non cash - incentives to entice players from other counties. Caused a lot of internal dissatisfaction, and the club in question is still nowhere near being a "top club."

Paying players could only lead to similar. If you and I were on same team and I heard that you were getting paid and I wasn't, the consequences are pretty obvious! Nor would other club members tolerate such a situation.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Bonniedog wrote:
    If you and I were on same team

You'd be on the bench!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

Does Daly have a proper job?

Why does it matter and whats a proper job?

Stoner wrote: »
    You'd be on the bench!

It was always my best position!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TrueGael

This perfectly illustrates why Dublin's funding from Croke Park is absurd and distorts what the GAA is supposed to be about.

People attack this by saying 'you are taking away from kids', no the kids should get all the funding possible - not at the expense of kids elsewhere.

The AIG Money and the Money these Superclubs can obviously generate (more than half the counties could possibly hope to make) should go to developing young players and not paying massive 'expenses' in an 'amateur' sport.

If you go down the road paying outside club managers such riches, then it will eventually alienates everyone who puts in time and effort for nothing

Indeed at County level the only paid individuals should be the doctors and physios because once you go beyond that you create professionalism and thus a Juggernaut as one team can afford to assemble a far bigger and more comprehensive backroom blowing everyone else away

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭LooseCannonUF

TrueGael wrote: »
    This perfectly illustrates why Dublin's funding from Croke Park is absurd and distorts what the GAA is supposed to be about.

People attack this by saying 'you are taking away from kids', no the kids should get all the funding possible - not at the expense of kids elsewhere.

The AIG Money and the Money these Superclubs can obviously generate (more than half the counties could possibly hope to make) should go to developing young players and not paying massive 'expenses' in an 'amateur' sport.

If you go down the road paying outside club managers such riches, then it will eventually alienates everyone who puts in time and effort for nothing

Indeed at County level the only paid individuals should be the doctors and physios because once you go beyond that you create professionalism and thus a Juggernaut as one team can afford to assemble a far bigger and more comprehensive backroom blowing everyone else away

Even in counties like Offaly, managers are getting paid top dollar. I’d say only two or three managers take/took no money, at all, and that’s between both codes.

Yes they do get paid elsewhere but nowhere near the scale in Dublin, bit like comparing Celtic to PSG on a financial scale. Also you have players being lured by jobs to join their clubs which is totally against what the GAA is about

Don't get me wrong outside managers are wrong - full stop but to clear this issue it has to be cleansed at the top (Dublin). Otherwise it filters elsewhere on a smaller scale and erodes the GAA's ideals more and more as each year passes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

TrueGael wrote: »
    Yes they do get paid elsewhere but nowhere near the scale in Dublin, bit like comparing Celtic to PSG on a financial scale. Also you have players being lured by jobs to join their clubs which is totally against what the GAA is about

Don't get me wrong outside managers are wrong - full stop but to clear this issue it has to be cleansed at the top (Dublin). Otherwise it filters elsewhere on a smaller scale and erodes the GAA's ideals more and more as each year passes

Dublin have won how many club hurling All Irelands again?

But they are the poster child for gun for hire paid managers at club level?

I see a slight flaw in your logic there, but don let it stop you from having yet another anti Dublin rant. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

threeball wrote: »

You seem very upset at the suggestion of players being paid.

But why is paying players breaking a fundamental rule of the GAA, but paying managers isn't? Is it an outrageous allegation that Anthony Daly might not be taking this management role out of the goodness of his heart?

There are so many grey areas in the GAA now it's hard to know what to be outraged about anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Well done Anto
    Great selection by crokes
    You will get some begrudgers like brolly and spillane on this matter but they never mention their own fees they are earning from rte on the back of their gaa careers

There is now a split in Dublin Gaa between the working class gaa clubs and the more well to do...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Gael85

Soulsun wrote: »
    Well done Anto
    Great selection by crokes
    You will get some begrudgers like brolly and spillane on this matter but they never mention their own fees they are earning from rte on the back of their gaa careers

There is now a split in Dublin gas between the working class gaa clubs and the more well to do...

Airtricity and Bord Gais?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Gael85 wrote: »
    Airtricity and Bord Gais?

On the ball this morning... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

ProudDUB wrote: »

That's the reason.
    Crokes are gearing up to try put Cuala back in their box and take back the Dublin title.

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »

But they are the poster child for gun for hire paid managers at club level?

I see a slight flaw in your logic there, but don let it stop you from having yet another anti Dublin rant. :rolleyes:

How many Football club AI's have they won in the last 10-15 years? Exactly

How many clubs (counties even) can afford to pay an outsider €500+ per training session??? Exactly

Take away the millions in funding and let the clubs and sponsors fund the youth development and stop the madness of money being pissed down the drain at 'genius' managers and return to core values

Advertisement