Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tesla Roadster 2.0

• 17-11-2017 6:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭

https://www.tesla.com/roadster/

200kWh pack
    1000km range
    1.9 second 0-100km/h
    top speed in excess of 400km/h
    8.9 second 1/4 mile.
    10,000 Nm torque ( ! )
    4 seats
    2020 production
    Taking deposits today

"These numbers sound unreal but they're not" says Musk

drus1ubsed6ho5mthvaf.png

raf6cpy8qocflnpjsa12.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

love to see some of the super cars go up against it ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Base price $200,000.

Ever so slightly out of my price range but I'm sure it will take lots of sales from Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche and others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

8.9 second quarter mile

Thats very very hard to believe

That's a different world to todays Hypercars, even the electric ones like Rimac and Nio

Sabre Man wrote: »
    Base price $200,000.

Ever so slightly out of my price range but I'm sure it will take lots of sales from Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porche and others.

It will kill them

With those numbers it will blow the doors of there cars

This thing is closer to Ferraris SF70H 2017 F1 car than there Ferrari LaFerrari hypercar

Its mind blowing.

Upcoming Hypercars like Mercedes Project one and Aston Martins/Red Bull am rb 001 designed by F1 designer Adrian Newey cant touch this Roadster

• Registered Users Posts: 64,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Want!

Do they take a modest EV as a trade in? :p
    cros13 wrote: »
    1.9 second 0-100km/h

To 60mph, so closer to 2.0s to 100km/h. That would still be breaking the fastest ever time by a production car. Done by the Porsche 918, which costs a couple of million. This car at only a fraction of the price, is a steal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

The specs on this car are so amazing I find it difficult to believe. If they achieve these specs in a volume production road legal vehicle it will be an absolutely incredible achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

• Registered Users Posts: 13,631 ✭✭✭✭josip

I'm finding it a little hard to believe Tesla will be able to 'kill' Scania, Volvo, Lamborghini, Ferarri, Porsche, BMW, Audi, et al in the next 10 years while it's founder, CEO and Chief Architect will at the same time work on colonizing another planet.
    Meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

josip wrote: »
    I'm finding it a little hard to believe Tesla will be able to 'kill' Scania, Volvo, Lamborghini, Ferarri, BMW, Audi in the next 10 years while at the same time colonizing another planet.
    Meh.

What does Tesla have to do with other planets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Musk is a horrible presenter, it is painful to watch him really :D
    thierry14 wrote: »
    8.9 second quarter mile

Thats very very hard to believe

That's a different world to todays Hypercars, even the electric ones like Rimac and Nio

Veyron has tyre glued to the alloy, as the centrifugal forces are so huge that it does not stay on...

I believe the performance figures of the Tesla add up - the equations with mass, drag, power etc. But quoted figures will be unobtainable in real world because of those hundreds of tiny details...

grogi wrote: »
    What does Tesla have to do with other planets?

Tx, I've now typed what I was thinking.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

grogi wrote: »
    I believe the performance figures of the Tesla add up - the equations with mass, drag, power etc. But quoted figures will be unobtainable in real world because of those hundreds of tiny details...

Yup, it's at the theoretical traction limit.

10,000NM of torque... f***ing hell.... that's seven times the torque of a Bugatti Veyron and 35 times the torque of my i3.

Probably wheel torque... but still....goddamn...

Maybe he has borrowed a rocked engine from SpaceX?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Where's Clarkson? He should take it for a spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

The Model S P100D in Ludicrous mode is already down to 2.38 seconds, the 2nd fastest production car ever made. So this is easily believable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

Any indication of the weight of the thing? That's a lot of battery. Settling that into a fast bend could be exciting alright.

Still, so much want!

Oh, and keep Clarkson well away from it. Fuses would blow, and not in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

I wonder how it gets a 600mph range ? Is it using new battery tech ?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,610 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Dr Brown wrote: »

Duracell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Mostly just the normal progression of battery tech and the fact it takes the same or less power to move the car...
    An average of 5-10% a year increase in density.

1st gen roadster pack 10 years ago had a 53 kWh pack crammed into a heavily adapted lotus chassis.
    With 12 years between the 1st gen roadster release and the 2nd you would expect between 95 and 166kWh purely due to the compounding march of the technology.

A dedicated platform would naturally provide for a bigger pack without much in the way of compromise.
    Also the switch Tesla made with the Model 3 from 18650 cells to 2170s means an increase in density due to less wasted space in the cell & pack.
    And the new plate and fin cooling system used in the model 3 pack also increases usable volume.
    And the new roadster is carbon fiber not steel/aluminium.

Some rumors about a new low-cobalt chemistry they've worked out too.

• Advertisement

The battery is twice the size of the Model S 100, which has an EPA range of 315 miles. I think the Roadster is smaller, so 600 miles should be easy to achieve

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

Holy moly that is some spec sheet!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Fantastic stuff. I really liked the new mx-5. Was very tempted to buy one but decided to go ev. The new roadster looks even tastier. Now.....gotta rob a bank.

goz83 wrote: »
    Fantastic stuff. I really liked the new mx-5. Was very tempted to buy one but decided to go ev. The new roadster looks even tastier. Now.....gotta rob a bank.

Use the Roadster as your getaway car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

If Tesla put the figures to the ground just wow! It's actually a bit of a bargain considering the performance. Tyre's will be an issue, 10,000Nm!

Elon has clarified what he meant when tweeting "0 to 100 km/h in 1.9 sec".

Should clarify that this is the base model performance. There will be a special option package that takes it to the next level.

Sabre Man wrote: »
    Elon has clarified what he meant when tweeting "0 to 100 km/h in 1.9 sec".

Should clarify that this is the base model performance. There will be a special option package that takes it to the next level.

Tesla forums speculating

P model will have 1.7 to 100, sub 4 to 200kmh and low 8's quarter mile

Its insane

Fastest production cars can barely crack 0 - 200kmh in 6 seconds, holy trinity of P1,918,La Ferrari are all about 7secs 0-200kmh

Only comparble acceleration numbers come from elite racing machines like F1/Le Man/Moto GP

Even they cant touch the Tesla from a dig, maybe a modern day F1 car can match/beat it from 100kmh upwards in pure acceleration

Roadster will have acceleration like below and cost €1.40 to do 100km on night rate electric :-)

ICE is over

https://youtu.be/9ap3XGB6PAIcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Vronsky

The real question it will Tesla still be around come production time. Model 3, the core product, production has been way off its milestones. Its burning through its cash pile faster than this roadster, and it has further complicated things by adding another product, the semi truck.

The last Tesla bond auction went well, but the bond has struggled on the secondary market. In this quarters results are poor its not hard to foresee Tesla having real difficulty in financing itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Goose81

thierry14 wrote: »
    It will kill them

With those numbers it will blow the doors of there cars

This thing is closer to Ferraris SF70H 2017 F1 car than there Ferrari LaFerrari hypercar

Its mind blowing.

Upcoming Hypercars like Mercedes Project one and Aston Martins/Red Bull am rb 001 designed by F1 designer Adrian Newey cant touch this Roadster

It's won't even touch them, the thing looks like crap with an interior to match no doubt and if your buying a supercar you want attention and nothing gets attention like the noise off a supercar, that the whole point. If it doesn't make noise then that's most of the thrill gone.

It's like saying a Chinese handbag is better than a french one, it may be but that's not going to change opinions

I would like to see how if drives other than a straight line seeing as it's going to be mega heavy.

No one on the road can drive any of them to their limit so the power figures while interesting/insane are pretty pointless in the real world.

I'm more interested in the tech trickling down, like they will have to start limiting these when family man who can't drive at all can go and pick up a 60k car from the dealer that could see him crashing a few mins leaving the dealership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

Goose81 wrote: »

I'm more interested in the tech trickling down, like they will have to start limiting these when family man who can't drive at all can go and pick up a 60k car from the dealer that could see him crashing a few mins leaving the dealership.

You're some comedian

Advertisement