Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Battlefront 2 - Game Thread

• 16-11-2017 7:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I thought it might be good to have a thread just for game discussion instead of a lootbox thread. I know a lot of people are looking forward to it regardless of what mess EA have made of the leveling up system.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,364 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Got it last night and had a first go. My 'background' is I used to be rather handy back in the day (Q2 etc) and BF1 brought me back to it after many years since I'm a big Star Wars fan.

BF1 had its problems, but was quite a well rounded shooter in the end and is still very popular. My biggest critique of BF1 was the forced game mode rotation stuff on the expansion packs. When all I want to play is Cargo. Meaning I paid for those packs and never actually played them to any degree. They should release one final version where they open all that up. But they probably won't.

BF2. It looks great but that was to be expected. The feel has changed a bit. You still will be comfortable moving around but there is a more direct feel to the controls, a bit harsher if you like while the characters and the opponents feel slower. I wiill get used to that. Strafing is a bit too easy now. In BF1 there was a little skill to it, now everyone can do it.

Bit of a shock to the system starting off again on the lowest equipment level rank (clone army robot) and everything has been said that needs to be said about 'upgrading'. Me personally I like it enough. It would be worse if everyone was starting out fully equipped or if there was no progress possible. There has to be some progress element. The negative thing is of course that you can buy yourself up with those crystals but you don't seem to get that many for your money and it would appear to be quite expensive. So realistically not many are going to buy themselves an entire career, it would cost a fortune and most players are probably kids anyway.

What worries me most is that objective based multiplayer is again a forced game mode rotation thing. So far I've not seen any sign of Cargo or anything similar. Wtf?!? To me it seemed Walker Assault and Cargo maybe Sabotage on Bespin were the most popular game modes in BF1. Are they simply going to ignore what people actually like?

In the end I had enough after 3 rounds of assault style play. Just too many players around in those maps, I never liked that. Just fkn mayhem and no structure to it. Ended up playing the solo campaign a bit and that was actually quite nice although too easy. I mean I can escape from prison cell and there is a guy 20 metres down the hall with a gun and I have nothing. And I can run up to him and take him out with a blow all the while he sees me and shoots at me and I actually get away with that? Thats a bit ridiculous.

After a few hours last night my first impression verdict is that of slight disappointment. I will dabble in and out of it I imagine and I may figure things out but it does not blow me away. I will probably continue with the solo campaign but probably end up still clocking more hours on BF1 Cargo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭ Alexander Plain Crumb

I know a lot of people are looking forward to it regardless of what mess EA have made...

Therein is EA's drive to the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Are they simply going to ignore what people actually like?

Of course. They're going to do what they like. Not sure what's surprising you here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Thought that was a pretty good review by Calamarifritti. An apparent fan of the franchise, who leaving aside all the lootbox shenanigans, acknowledging it is good in some areas is still left feeling underwhelmed.
    I really got the impression from some YT videos yesterday they were going out of their way to push the game in a positive light overall. Hard to shake the feeling they weren't being induced to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

From the reviews I've seen,it seems there is a potentially good game in there that has just been destroyed by EA's greed.It looks and sounds stunning,the campaign while short is something people were asking for.But i think this will be on sales in the coming months for next to nothing ala ME:Andromeda.. Its a shame.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Campaign seems ok so far, not sure if the shooting has improved but it feels much better in 1st person. Could be just the campaign though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Played my 10 hour trial and mostly enjoyed the game. It looks great, sounds great and has that real Star Wars feel but it feels a little too basic and slightly dumbed down from Battlefield. The main Galactic 40-player mode had me wishing that it had more of the objective complexity and team work of Battlefield - even having a medic class would make a big difference.

Haven't been able to get a hang of the Star Fighter space battle mode yet, the controls didn't click with me, even with the adjustments you could make.

They could have sucked in the Battlefield players if they just bloody put in conquest mode with manned vehicles/some aerial combat.

The blueprint is there and its proven to work but yet again they've decided to just fill the game with tacky game modes.

There's not a chance I'd still be playing BField1 if the only modes were War Pigeons/Operations and they're the only kind of modes in this game.

Its starting to grow on me. Decided to play some multiplayer stuff and its not bad. Its more tactical than BF1. I think its because the characters move at more realistic speeds which seems to make the typical 'keep running and shooting' approach less of a done thing. Campaign is really quite good. Good mixture of FPS and vehicle action. I actually have to learn flying the bloody star fighters which never appealed to me before but I'm starting to get the hang of it.

Still want Cargo.

I know I only just put my toe in it but so far I don't get the outrage over the micro transactions. Not saying its not a profiteering thing, it is, but you can simply not buy into it - literally - and it doesn't automatically turn you into cannon fodder. I think all the criticism is valid but I don't think it destroys the game.
    Be some laugh if you could transfer your BF1 crystals into BF2 ones. I have an actual 1 million there. Misspent youth middle-age. :eek: As you pay $20 for 2100 in BF2 they would be worth about 10 grand in Bf2. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Edit: Seeing on the other thread it seems today EA have removed buying crystals due to the sh1tstorm. Nobody talked about the game and everyone was just talking about micro transaction. They must have figured it really will hurt sales. Result I guess. Maybe we can get back focussing on the actual game now.

I played through the campaign yesterday, it was a decent if not great Star Wars story. Some levels were really annoying but some were incredible. Characters stuck with me after too so I'd say it was a solid effort.

Tried MP last night but was having other players just appearing and disappearing in front of me, along with me just randomly appearing 10 feet away from where I was. I hope that's just a server thing otherwise I'll be trading that in.

• Advertisement

I played through the campaign yesterday, it was a decent if not great Star Wars story. Some levels were really annoying but some were incredible. Characters stuck with me after too so I'd say it was a solid effort.

Tried MP last night but was having other players just appearing and disappearing in front of me, along with me just randomly appearing 10 feet away from where I was. I hope that's just a server thing otherwise I'll be trading that in.

I didn't experience any kind of lag stuff. I came across somewhere in settings a line that said Server: EA Ireland, ping 11ms. I dont know if that number is real but it is a very good number.

I'll check that out. Wasn't as bad there now, still happened twice though.

Played a decent amount of the game and like it, played on both Xbox and PS4 and not had a single issue with connection or bugs popping up. Was linked to a Jim Sterling video in which he appears to moan about bugs for 5 minutes but I've not had a single issue so far. If you are experiencing lag it may be worthwhile doing a little troubleshooting, open your ports, clear your alternate mac address and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I waited for a deep sale on the first one and will do the same with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

The Jimquisition review has put me right off

The Jimquisition review has put me right off

I'd ignore it, it's a typical Sterling angry click bait rant. I've now tried the game on PC, Xbox and PS4 and seen no stuttering or had any issues. The game runs well, looks great and at this stage and I'm having fun with it and happy to play more of it.

The campaign is really quite good. Must go to bed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

If in the future every game has lootboxes and microtransactions...I'm blaming all of you here for buying the game anyways :P

4bx9eae2ljyz.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

The meme is old but people literally can't help themselves. They'll buy into it and kids will use their disposable income or their parents and nothing will change.

jhnhdroaqydhymtsd499.jpg

• Advertisement

SeantheMan wrote: »
    If in the future every game has lootboxes and microtransactions...I'm blaming all of you here for buying the game anyways :P

4bx9eae2ljyz.png

Is that lad willfully ignorant? EA turned off in game purchases, you can't buy anything even if you wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Is that lad willfully ignorant? EA turned off in game purchases, you can't buy anything even if you wanted to.

It was probably posted before the u turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

1. Yes it was posted before the lootboxes temporary removal.
    2. Lootboxes will still be coming back at some stage
    3. Just because they are turned off for the moment doesn't mean it's suddenly a reason to rejoice and buy the game...we should boycott it anyways
    4. That 'lad' is a games designer who has worked on the likes of Bulletstorm, Painkiller, Vanishing of Ethan Carter and others. So it's fair to say he has a better understanding of the industry and it's inside practices than we do.

These inside practices are not so hard to understand. Its companies trying to squeeze money out of their product. It's what they all do these days. The new angle is that these are games you already paid full price for. I absolutely welcome companies being told what people think of that.

As it happens to a smaller degree that was already happening in BF1. You could buy these upgrade packs if I recall correctly. It just wasn't an ongoing thing.

Well I'm enjoying the game I won't have anyone tell me not to buy something I know I'll enjoy. Problem with the stuff being turned off is I can't level up my starfighters now, I've earned plenty of credits from matches to get the lootboxes (yes you earn plenty by winning matches imagine that?) but they are turned off.

So I reckon they are coming back but not as in game real money purchases, I suppose they are figuring out the best way to do that, It's a shame that people who don't own the game or play the game are dictating what happens to those of us who are actually trying to enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Well I'm enjoying the game I won't have anyone tell me not to buy something I know I'll enjoy. Problem with the stuff being turned off is I can't level up my starfighters now, I've earned plenty of credits from matches to get the lootboxes (yes you earn plenty by winning matches imagine that?) but they are turned off.

So I reckon they are coming back but not as in game real money purchases, I suppose they are figuring out the best way to do that, It's a shame that people who don't own the game or play the game are dictating what happens to those of us who are actually trying to enjoy it.

Maybe you like getting shafted but I don't. I'm sorry that we're hating a sh*tty gouging mechanic and trying to make sure they will be discouraged from doing the same thing in the future and making gaming a smidgen better in the process.

Absolutely not being shafted. Played the campaign, was good. Playing Starfighter assault which is really good fun, so I'm getting my money's worth I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Well it's not just what happens to you is it? It's what happens to Star Wars games in the future. It's what happens to EA games in the future. It's what happens to games by others who like how EA have extracted every cent they can from players.

The outrage over this is beyond embarrassing. You'd swear EA were murdering children. I take you don't own the game let alone have even played it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

The outrage over this is beyond embarrassing. You'd swear EA were murdering children. I take you don't own the game let alone have even played it?

That's the key point. People wanted to buy the game, but are now refusing to because of the whole controversy around basically turning this into a Pay to win mobile game.

I love Star Wars, I've been genuinely excited about the prospect of playing Battlefront 2. However, I'm not excited about playing a game where you can literally buy the ability to defeat people easily.

Advertisement