Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I don't want to.... but...

• 08-11-2017 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a new house, and one of the unexpected surprises we got upon getting the keys is that there was a 1962 Morris minor 1000 sitting in the yard. It soon became apparent that the car was not going to be collected and has been left for me to do as I see fit.

Normally you would say that this is one of those classic hunters dreams, but the problem is that the car is pretty much too far gone to rescue without spending a solid fortune on it. It very much pains me not to be able to save it, but without a tax book it might be a tricky job to sell it complete. There are a number of parts in reasonable shape, bonnet, interior bits, bumpers etc, but the sills, suspension mounts, door mounts, rear wings, rear axle and more are shot.

Try flog it shadily on DungDeal or break for salvageable parts and then scrap it?
    What would you do?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Unless you want endless hassle of flogging off seperate parts , and all those many,many,many
    hours of wasted phone calls with messers, advertise it, and sell it off as one lot.

Unless you know the world of classics and mechanics, what you think might be salvageable
    might well be scrap. With a new house, you probably dont need the grief and hassle of the
    moggy.

Log book wont stop you flogging it off as parts.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Would it not make a nice permanent feature in some part of your garden? Plant a few shrubs around it and watch nature reclaim it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Dades wrote: »
    Would it not make a nice permanent feature in some part of your garden? Plant a few shrubs around it and watch nature reclaim it. :)

The thought had crossed my mind, but as a classic enthusiast,( I mostly work with old farm machinery, but have worked on a few cars too), I was looking for a way to save part of it for someone. Perhaps a garden ornament it will be... God knows there's enough space, nearly 2 acres

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

+1 for the garden ornament idea. The car sounds like it's not really worth restoring. Morris Minors are not rare, and in the condition you describe, it isn't desirable or valuable either.

If you keep it as an ornament at least it can live on gracefully for a good few years and you and others can still enjoy it, even if it's just on a visual level.

Whether selling it whole or for parts, most of it will end up in the squisher anyway.

Best of luck with the new house!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Theres an old Morris Minor is the entrance way to a garden centre down near me. Largely rusted out, painted the colours of the rainbow and home to a selection of lovely flowers. Could be an idea!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,423 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

If you don't the tax office and state about the car. They will send out the log book to the last registered owner, which I assume is the address you are now in...?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Do what they do around here - donate it to the local GAA club who will paint it in garish local colours and stick it on the side of the road with a "Good luck in the final lads" sign attached. :):):)

Thanks for the replies. Reckon I'll stick it up on donedeal and see if anyone bites. If not, then it'll become an ornament

Quick update.. a chap I know bought a 3 door Minor 1000 as a project. Its mechanically good and has good bodywork but the interior is shot. He called over for a look, and I ended up donating the car to him for the interior and a few chrome bits. Even stuck it on the trailer and dropped it to his yard. Karma came back and a couple of weeks ago I needed a JCB for a job out the back, and he came good for me in return.

Advertisement