Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Adams to announce retirement from President of Sinn Fein

• 17-11-2017 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sure the 'its not a coup' in Harare was not in his mind :)

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/17/gerry-adams-to-announce-retirement-as-sinn-fein-president
    Gerry Adams will announce his plans to retire after 34 years as president of Sinn F on Saturday, marking a generational shift that will break the leadership’s last link with republican violence.

Adams will take to the stage of Dublin’s RDS conference hall to set out an exit that some analysts say will improve Sinn F’s electoral chances in the Irish Republic.

But sources within the mainstream Irish republican movement and veteran Adams-watchers believe the 69-year-old will still hold the centre of power in Sinn F from behind the scenes long after his official successor is elevated to the top post.

Only one obvious candidate you'd think - Southern, Dublin, female, young(ish).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/17/gerry-adams-to-announce-retirement-as-sinn-fein-president

And nothing to show for it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I'll believe it when I see it. He's the Mugabe of Irish politics and even if he does "resign" the presidency he will obviousl still be in charge.

Edit: At the end of that article it says he's written a book called "Never Give Up" :pac: a man without a sense of irony it seems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

If true, this might turn out great for the Irish political landscape. While there'll be less fuel for the likes of O'Dea, SF will be more likely to win or lose seats based on policy alone. Will be certainly interesting.

To paraphrase Jimmy Rabbite Sr., "FF/FG must be ****tin' themselves" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Gerry Adams, Mary Lou, Michelle O’Neill makes no difference, it’s still the army council calling the shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,130 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

He will be back in Belfast with the real leadership.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

With Gerry leaving, and this party decision, I'd say SF are as close as to be damned to be in the next Govt - probably with FF - I don't think Leo has the stomach for them, but FF would certainly love to be back in control.

Some serious manoeuvring from SF this weekend, with the Gerry announcement pending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

With Gerry leaving, and this party decision, I'd say SF are as close as to be damned to be in the next Govt - probably with FF - I don't think Leo has the stomach for them, but FF would certainly love to be back in control.

The blueshirts and the Shinners will be at it all weekend on the Journal.

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/politics/other-politics/irish-politics?ev_oc_grp_ids=591647

Sure FF/SF is only 7/1 for government after the next election, joint fourth favourite, and the first alternative to FG.

Makes sense for SF to go for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,903 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Sinn Fein HQ know that they will not for decades be in a position to go in as the major party into government. So, if they want actually do anything apart from defending PIRA actions, or storming out of the Dail in some tantrum, they will have to go in as a junior partner.

They also know that if do this, that the reality of government is very different from opposition where you can promise everything with little consequences. So, they know that if they go in as the Junior partner and their gullible voters realise that they are full of ****, they will desert them in droves, ending up like the Labour party.

Bit of a decision alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,377 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Sooner these charlatans go into real govt the better. It’s the only way they can be
    exposed for the complete sham they are.
    Hopefully we won’t become as much like Greece as Pierce Doherty desires though in the process

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

road_high wrote: »
    Sooner these charlatans go into real govt the better. It’s the only way they can be
    Hopefully we won’t become as much like Greece as Pierce Doherty desires though in the process

Starting to think that way myself. Populist scumbags doing anything and everything the masses will find palatable.

Our local SF TD was drafted in from the other side of the county - not even a local yet those who know absolutely about politics and only cared about water meters voted her in anyway.

road_high wrote:
    Sooner these charlatans go into real govt the better. It’s the only way they can be exposed for the complete sham they are. Hopefully we won’t become as much like Greece as Pierce Doherty desires though in the process

Oddly how many times was Pierce right and Mickey Noonan Wrong? I support neither party just curious

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

road_high wrote: »
    The army and the police will go on strike if they get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

the_syco wrote: »
    The army and the police will go on strike if they get in.

Like they did up North?

Some seriously panicky headlines in the indo this AM.

Is an election brewing I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

With dublin city council been made up with the most sf seats i think we can see how they might look in government.

Bring it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Some serious manoeuvring from SF this weekend, with the Gerry announcement pending.

FF would love to be back in control, but first they'd have to get rid of Martin, then elect in someone disposed to doing business with SF.

Personally, I don't see it happening. It'll never happen with FG and even if FF vote in a leader disposed towards SF it's a contentious issue that'll have them squabbling for years.

I'd see it as a wedge issue and FG know they've nothing to gain by going anywhere near SF. Eventually, FF will figure out that the potential losses outweigh the gains and will try to distance themselves, but I reckon it'll be too late for them.......they're always be the lingering suspicion that'll do a deal with the devil himself if it meant getting back into power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

MM says it won't happen, I'd say that makes it a cert to happen!

Not a chance the northern wing of the party will accept an ex-FF, Dublin-based leader, no matter how many Sean Russell rallies she goes to.

I think they'll want someone a bit more malleable like Doherty.

If true, this might turn out great for the Irish political landscape. While there'll be less fuel for the likes of O'Dea, SF will be more likely to win or lose seats based on policy alone. Will be certainly interesting.

To paraphrase Jimmy Rabbite Sr., "FF/FG must be ****tin' themselves" ;)

I think if he was to fully retire it'd be a seismic change, but I reckon FG/FF can't wait for him to go as his will be a peculiar form of retirement that will taint the party. Are they really going to elect someone who'd distance themselves from him? Whoever gets the gig will be beholden to him, and that'll suit the other parties just fine.

I expect lots of jibes revolving around the idea that he "hasn't gone away, you know."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭christy c

Won't make a bit of difference IMO. It's just to stop them losing votes from people who think they'll never go in to power.

After the next election it'll be something like "we spoke to other parties but they wouldn't agree to (insert stupid demand)". Then they can justify doing nothing in opposition

• Advertisement

With dublin city council been made up with the most sf seats i think we can see how they might look in government.

Bring it on.

Fair point. The Shinners dominate DCC which has major issues pending, like homelessness. However, they spent most of this time reducing property tax, money which could have gone on to fund homelessness shelters, blocking all developments over a certain height and voting for very important issues like flying the Palestinian flag over city hall, all the while under their watch it emerged that there are houses with 40 people sharing.

Well played lads!

Also, any major party that gives SF the reins of power will be vilified by middle Ireland. SF are the highest negative ratings of any Irish Party. If FF want to grab power from FG and use a SF coalition to do that, they will learn very quickly that middle Ireland will give them a 2011 style pay back at the ballot box.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭FCIM

Jawgap wrote: »
    Not a chance the northern wing of the party will accept an ex-FF, Dublin-based leader, no matter how many Sean Russell rallies she goes to.

I think they'll want someone a bit more malleable like Doherty.

I think they'll go with a leader in the north/leader in the south/overall leader as a figurehead type of leadership.

I could imagine Michelle O'Neill in the Six Counties, Mary Lou McDonald in the 26 and then someone who bridges the North-South gap like Pearse Doherty or Matt Carthy in overall control. O'Neill is too much of a fringe figure in the South, McDonald is not likely to be trusted in the North whereas Doherty (Donegal) or Carthy (Monaghan) may be seen as people who are both Northern and Southern and both are very capable.

markodaly wrote:
    Also, any major party that gives SF the reins of power will be vilified by middle Ireland. SF are the highest negative ratings of any Irish Party. If FF want to grab power from FG and use a SF coalition to do that, they will learn very quickly that middle Ireland will give them a 2011 style pay back at the ballot box.

Middle Ireland won't give a f**k, the party that brought this country to the financial abyss is back calling the shots thanks to middle Ireland.

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Oddly how many times was Pierce right and Mickey Noonan Wrong? I support neither party just curious

None, I can't remember Doherty ever being right about anything.

Jawgap wrote: »
    FF would love to be back in control, but first they'd have to get rid of Martin, then elect in someone disposed to doing business with SF.

Personally, I don't see it happening. It'll never happen with FG and even if FF vote in a leader disposed towards SF it's a contentious issue that'll have them squabbling for years.

I'd see it as a wedge issue and FG know they've nothing to gain by going anywhere near SF. Eventually, FF will figure out that the potential losses outweigh the gains and will try to distance themselves, but I reckon it'll be too late for them.......they're always be the lingering suspicion that'll do a deal with the devil himself if it meant getting back into power.

If there was an election tomorrow, FF would have three choices:

- Confidence and supply with FG
    - Junior partner in coalition with FG with Leo as Taoiseach
    - Senior partner in coalition with SF with Martin or other FF as Taoiseach

Tough choices.

blanch152 wrote:
    None, I can't remember Doherty ever being right about anything.

Of course you don't. Noonans fiscal space ring any bells?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

FCIM wrote: »
    I think they'll go with a leader in the north/leader in the south/overall leader as a figurehead type of leadership.

I could imagine Michelle O'Neill in the Six Counties, Mary Lou McDonald in the 26 and then someone who bridges the North-South gap like Pearse Doherty or Matt Carthy in overall control. O'Neill is too much of a fringe figure in the South, McDonald is not likely to be trusted in the North whereas Doherty (Donegal) or Carthy (Monaghan) may be seen as people who are both Northern and Southern and both are very capable.

It's totally irrelevant. Gerry and Co will still be controlling everything from behind the scenes.

It's just another publicity coup. SF had a significant drop in the opinion polls recently and Gerry Adams has the lowest rating of any leader. If SF go into government they will see a massive decline in support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

It would be interesting to see how SF would transition from being 'hurlers on the ditch' to being 'hurlers on the field'. They talk a good game but that's easy to do when you don't have to take any action.
    I don't agree with most of SFs policies but I would actually like to see them in government. It wouldn't take long to expose their utopian view of the world for the nonsense that it is.
    Of course the prerequisite of any coalition with either FG, (unlikely), or FF would be the retirement of Adams.

Advertisement