Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Noob - how to buy coins

• 07-11-2017 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭

As per the title. How do I buy coins and what do you recommend to buy them? I don't see a beginners guide posted.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Just in case you haven't figured this out yet: my preferred course of action is a bank transfer to Kraken, then send whatever main currency I've bought to Bittrex or send ETH to one of my ETH wallets and link it to EtherDelta if I want a token.

Be wary of what you type in EtherDelta, it won't correct your mistakes and people regularly (every day) buy $1-$10 worth of tokens for many hundreds-worth of ETH because they've fudged their order.

I've watched people give away thousands in ETH because they've entered something wrong and they've linked their main wallet to EtherDelta.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭cml387

grindle wrote: »
    Just in case you haven't figured this out yet: my preferred course of action is a bank transfer to Kraken, then send whatever main currency I've bought to Bittrex or send ETH to one of my ETH wallets and link it to EtherDelta if I want a token.

Be wary of what you type in EtherDelta, it won't correct your mistakes and people regularly (every day) buy $1-$10 worth of tokens for many hundreds-worth of ETH because they've fudged their order.

I've watched people give away thousands in ETH because they've entered something wrong and they've linked their main wallet to EtherDelta.

I think that has it in a nutshell.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

is there any reason to choose kraken over coinbase?

Apart from a wider selection of currencies to choose from initially, no.
    SEPA transfer to Coinbase, move funds to Gdax (owned by Coinbase) and buy away.

what about buying directly with a debit card? any reason I shouldn't do that
    thanks

• Advertisement

Immediate 3.99% loss in fees.

Not much in the long run but if you're spending a grand you'll be annoyed when that €40 you tossed away could have been €400 or €4000.

ok thanks.

is there any specific risk with having my bank account or card directly linked to the site?

is there any specific risk with having my bank account or card directly linked to the site?

No risk from Coinbase. The only risk would be the bank threatening to act like assholes if you keep buying crypto. I haven't had a (crypto-related) problem with BoI yet - if I had I'd change banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Is it easy to cash out with Coinbase?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

grindle wrote: »
    No risk from Coinbase. The only risk would be the bank threatening to act like assholes if you keep buying crypto. I haven't had a (crypto-related) problem with BoI yet - if I had I'd change banks.

So far I haven't experienced any problems with SEPA transfers from AIB. Anyone here had problems with this bank?

• Advertisement
Advertisement