Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dirty Ol' Spire

Options
  • 13-08-2003 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭

Passing the wan in 1 yesterday and I noitced that there were trails of brown muck on the spire - no doubt as a result of rain/ condensation reacting with smog the same way it coats buildings. It made the spire look a bit manky. I was wondering how much it would costs to clean it, whether they are palnning of cleaning it annually, or whether it'll just be a big manky dirty pole.

Ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭MDR

I think that would be a good question for Dublin city council.
    They are quite a nice bunch, send your question on and let us know what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by MDR
    I think that would be a good question for Dublin city council.
    They are quite a nice bunch, send your question on and let us know what they say.

They must have loads of money available to them for projects such as this when you look at how much they charge pubs rent for pavementspace too!

Who stole the jam from your donnut Dusty ?
    don't write the whole bunch of em off 'cos the pavement space thingy, they are a nice bunch, and have gratefully entertained my mad rantings more than once

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

Just an idle query really Ray. And if anyone knew. As a Civil Servant meself, I wouldn;t want to be bothering fellow adminstrators with idle queries :D

As a Civil Servant meself, I wouldn;t want to be bothering fellow adminstrators with idle queries

Civil Servant's are payed to be bothered with my idle queries ....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Specky

I think a lot of civil servants are "idle" but I'm not sure you're allowed to say that they're all "queries".....not very PC :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Originally posted by hedgetrimmer
    I was wondering how much it would costs to clean it, whether they are palnning of cleaning it annually, or whether it'll just be a big manky dirty pole.
    A long, sharp, dirty spike in Dublin? Never.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

I have two contradictory arguments for this:

1. The government used money that could have been used on the education system or on the hospital system on that big needle, they might as well keep it looking nice.
    2. The government used money that could have been used on the education system or on the hospital system on that big needle, why waste more money cleaning it? Yes, it will be a miniscule amount compared to the cost of the building of the Spike, but still, it will cost money to clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

It wasn't the f*&^$£% Government, it was Dublin City Council (Corporation). There is a difference. Think of another arguement.

But wasn't it the Government who funded it? Or am I misinformed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Specky

errmm.....

....actually it was us tax payers that funded it

Well, because the Government can use our tax money on whatever they choose(within limits), they directly funded it, we indirectly funded it. Am I making sense or do I need to elaborate for the fourth time?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Presumably, Scarlett, the Government should have put the price of yearly maintenance onto the total cost of the needle , and this is all budgeted into the... budget? Wasn't it? Or is there no five year budget thing and the media are not mentioning the cost of maintenance?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,241 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Looks like there is a pretender to the throne. Not that you'd sit on the spike. :)

http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/breaking/1599191?view=Eircomnet
    Europe's tallest sculpture unveiled in Dublin
    Thursday, 2nd October, 2003

Europe's tallest moving sculpture was unveiled by its creator in Dublin today.

Irish Wave - a 116-foot structure weighing more than 20 tonnes - is more than 50 foot taller than north-east England's Angel of the North.

Sculptor Angela Conner took two years to design the structure, which towers above the landscape of west Dublin's Park West business site.

Ms Conner gained her inspiration for the sculpture from Islamic calligraphy, and by watching saplings move in the wind.

The creation is made of stainless steel and carbon fibre and is powered by the wind. It can sway up to 20 feet and returns to its central position with the help of a nine-tonne underground counterweight.

Speaking at the official unveiling today Ms Conner said: "The idea behind the sculpture comes from the sense that people or things always regain a sense of centre.

"This, philosophically, is something that interested me very much. I particularly like people who get into all sorts of trouble but manage to keep their sense of balance."

The sculpture was built in a workshop in Norfolk usually used to build constructions for the motor sport and aircraft industries.

PA

Advertisement