Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coca Cola Truck Not Stopping in the City

• 11-11-2017 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭Deiseen

So as usual, the city is being left out again.

Nothing major but I'd just like to know why? Its visiting all the cities plus others, like Kilkenny, but doesn't come to Waterford City? Its never come here if I'm right?

Just doesnt make sense seeing as though its a promotional thing and Waterford is three times the size of Kilkenny.

Also, its not a discussion about capatilism or the adverse health affects of coke!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Probably get stuck on the quay!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Speak Now wrote: »
    Probably get stuck on the quay!

Parking is also too expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

They know the other coke is a much bigger seller in Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I’d imagine the money required to bring it in is being spent on winterval as a whole. Good call imo.

Gavlor wrote: »
    I’d imagine the money required to bring it in is being spent on winterval as a whole. Good call imo.

Do councils pay a company to bring in a promotional tool? That doesnt sound right....

But in reality it would be a nice addition to Winterval....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

It was here years ago, I brought my children to it, it was parked in John Roberts Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Waterford Blaa

It was here before - not that impressive tbh.
    It’s just a giant ad for coke on wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭jelutong

Is it subject to Sugar Tax on top of Motor Tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Deiseen wrote: »
    Do councils pay a company to bring in a promotional tool? That doesnt sound right....

But in reality it would be a nice addition to Winterval....

I’d say there’s a fee for an attraction like this one. No loss to Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭FCIM

Nothing major but I'd just like to know why? Its visiting all the cities plus others, like Kilkenny, but doesn't come to Waterford City? Its never come here if I'm right?

Just doesnt make sense seeing as though its a promotional thing and Waterford is three times the size of Kilkenny.

Also, its not a discussion about capatilism or the adverse health affects of coke!

As a Cat, I have to tell you that Kilkenny is a city but, yes, it is a shame if it never visits Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Have seen it before and i can say it is the biggest load of sh!te i have seen. The truck is tiny and sure all it does it just sit there. I was expecting it to transform.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Please link me to the CSO figures that state Waterford is "three times the size of kilkenny"?
    Latest figures I read it was something like 27,500 and 53,500 (incl all suburbs) respectively. These are 2016 figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Used to see Coca-Cola trucks around all the time until they closed the place out at Newrath ;)

road_high wrote: »

Please link me to the CSO figures that state Waterford is "three times the size of kilkenny"?
    Latest figures I read it was something like 27,500 and 53,500 (incl all suburbs) respectively. These are 2016 figures.

Well ok 2/3 depending on what way you look at it, if you include Ferrybank's population of 5,217 then the city itself about 60,000 and over 70,000 if you include Tramore (10,328), which is practically a suburb of the city.

When your looking at an immediate catchment base for something, this is what you would look at.

Not really what we are talking about here is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

FCIM wrote: »
    As a Cat, I have to tell you that Kilkenny is a city but, yes, it is a shame if it never visits Waterford.

Maybe in your mind it is a City but in actual fact it's a hole!
    A market town with little or nothing going for it.
    Where the majority of its occupants travelled to other counties
    to make a life and a living that Kilkenny could not provide!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,380 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Is this a thing!..?

If so, why

FCIM wrote: »

Come on now, no need for that. The two lads did bring the KK/Waterford thing into it but thats a bit much.

KK is a nice place and without Waterford + Kilkenny in the South East, the region wouldn't have much pull.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

This tread is gas, for all the wrong reasons.....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Both lovely cities. End of conversation.

Lets move on.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It was here before - not that impressive tbh.
    It’s just a giant ad for coke on wheels.

Thats exactly what it is and people shouldn't try fool themselves that it's anything else. Personally I wish it didn't visit Kilkenny (I say that as somebody in Kilkenny).

• Advertisement

Waterford is a Pepsi town.

Been that way for years

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The-Coca-Cola-truck.jpg

Is that it? If it is then I'd say it's a good thing that it isn't coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

lertsnim wrote: »
    The-Coca-Cola-truck.jpg

Is that it? If it is then I'd say it's a good thing that it isn't coming.

Yeah it tries to look that good but it doesnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭PeterCasey

If Kilkenny is a hole why is it allways full with tourists I suppose its a Waterford persons way to show they have a chip on there shoulder. We don't have places like Sally park on television about there visits to see love ones in prison and how deprived they are. As regards Kilkenny people they would be more employable than a lot of Waterford people the day of the factory job is gone you should see that especially in Waterford City.

PeterCasey wrote: »

If Kilkenny is a hole why is it allways full with tourists I suppose its a Waterford persons way to show they have a chip on there shoulder. We don't have places like Sally park on television about there visits to see love ones in prison and how deprived they are. As regards Kilkenny people they would be more employable than a lot of Waterford people the day of the factory job is gone you should see that especially in Waterford City.

Knew it would decend into this..

1. Sally park is technically in Kilkenny

2. Waterford (263,000) and Kilkenny (267,000) get same number of tourists (http://www.failteireland.ie/getattachment/c42b5249-242d-4860-b3b5-8720df101d4c/Regional-Tourism-Performance-in-2015.pdf.aspx?ext=.pdf)

3. They spend almost twice as much in Waterford (€75 million) as they do in Kilkenny (€45 million) (same link as above)

4. Waterford has almost 10 times more IDA jobs than Kilkenny (http://www.thejournal.ie/rural-jobs-2982453-Sep2016/)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Ah the internet... where someone posts a picture of a cat, and the comments start off "Awww cute..." but scroll down the page and the next thing it's like "you know NOTHING about Palestine!!!"

I think I'll take Winterval over the Coca-Cola truck thanks...

fricatus wrote: »
    Ah the internet... where someone posts a picture of a cat, and the comments start off "Awww cute..." but scroll down the page and the next thing it's like "you know NOTHING about Palestine!!!"

I think I'll take Winterval over the Coca-Cola truck thanks...

While some of our own are partly at fault, i just dont get it. Is there a county wide broadcast that goes out in Kilkenny when someone in the Waterford Forum mentions the place? It's ridiculous.

No one is saying to have the truck over Winterval but no harm in having it aswell. Everything adds to the flavour of the festival, even if it is just marketing propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Markx

2. Waterford (263,000) and Kilkenny (267,000) get same number of tourists (http://www.failteireland.ie/getattachment/c42b5249-242d-4860-b3b5-8720df101d4c/Regional-Tourism-Performance-in-2015.pdf.aspx?ext=.pdf)

3. They spend almost twice as much in Waterford (€75 million) as they do in Kilkenny (€45 million) (same link as above)

4. Waterford has almost 10 times more IDA jobs than Kilkenny (http://www.thejournal.ie/rural-jobs-2982453-Sep2016/)

You knew it would descend into this....? So you had this list ready to go.

If you knew your initial post would cause your thread to go in a direction you didn't want to, why did you make it? :confused: Unless........

Markx wrote: »

You knew it would descend into this....? So you had this list ready to go.

If you knew your initial post would cause your thread to go in a direction you didn't want to, why did you make it? :confused: Unless........

Oh yeah boy, I had it all planned out with Peter what's his face above, that he would come on with that exact, badly written post and then I would jump in with the facts delivering a knock out blow! Come on will ya ffs.

I just had a feeling when i said "other places like Kilkenny" that this would happen. Probably should have known better but I guess I'd forgotten that Kilkenny lads scour this board for any mention.

And then all I did was mention facts to put Peter in his place. I haven't said anything about Kilkenny other than the fact that we should be happy to have it in the South East! So I apologise for mentioning the place and stating some facts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Hate to break it yo you but the fact is....nobody outside of Waterford or Kikenny regards EITHER as a city anyway. Could throw Limerick and Galway into it too to be honest.

Advertisement