Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommend a wok

• 11-11-2017 2:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭

Hi. Am looking for a good wok to cater for max 4 adults. Not induction job compatible as I am still on old hob

I see a Ken Hom in tkmax.... around €45.

But would buy online if I got good recommendation

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Go to an Asian shop and buy an inexpensive steel wok and season it properly. (lots of information online for this).
    Don't buy a non stick coated wok.

As I have my inexpensive wok for over 20 years, I don't know how much they sell for now but I'd be guessing around €20 or so.

You don't need stainless steel, either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

If you're using an electric hob I'd suggest a nice big sauté pan rather than a wok, because woks don't work as well on electric hobs as they do on gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

If you're using an electric hob I'd suggest a nice big sauté pan rather than a wok, because woks don't work as well on electric hobs as they do on gas.

Yes.... am on electric. I can see you point on same vs gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Don't buy a non stick coated wok.
    +1, woks are meant to be used extremely hot, and hot & non stick do not mix.

I keep seeing all sorts of new names for non stick coating, but I don't think any can survive very high heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

rubadub wrote: »
    +1, woks are meant to be used extremely hot, and hot & non stick do not mix.

I keep seeing all sorts of new names for non stick coating, but I don't think any can survive very high heat.

Latest one I saw was copper stone.
    ?.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

I think there's two sorts of pan called wok: the traditional Chinese thin steel article, and a deep frying pan with curved sides - usually non-stick. Which do you want? If the latter, Ernesto branded stuff turns up regularly in Aldi and Lidl specials. Not had a problem with them, but not tried to stir fry in them either.

Stir-frying for 4 is quite a lot of food in one pan. Nuclear hob :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Latest one I saw was copper stone.
    ?.?
    last one I saw too, late night advert.

Shows a blow torch at it on the advert.

http://www.coppercookwarereviews.com/jml-copper-stone-pans-review/
    Q. How long does the JML Copper Stone Pan last?
    A. The JML Copper Stone Pan may last for a year or so max with daily use.
    if that is the claim I would not hold out for that.
    Q. Should I worry about the safety of the nonstick surface of the JML Copper Stone Pan?
    A. There is a cautionary statement about fumes evident at very high heat that could harm the respiratory systems of birds. Don’t worry too much about a short duration at high heat as much as the potential for warping the pan if it is not allowed to cool down enough prior to immersing it in water. Some of the pans can be placed in an oven and tolerate temperatures to 500 degrees, so it is the safe treatment of any hot metal that is an issue.
    sounds like PTFE.

Q. Is the JML Copper Stone Pan free of all typical nonstick chemicals, including PTFE?
    A. Yes

Q. Does the JML Copper Stone Pan contain PTFE?
    A. The nonstick coating does contain PTFE, but it’s very safe since it starts to be dangerous when exposed to very high heat levels of 400F+ which poses no threat at all for normal home users. PFOA which is the actual dangerous material is not in the coating so you can use it without any problems.
    contradict each other, could be the review site messing up

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭annetcl

Got this from amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004VQXNJY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Together with this wok cover:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000P5TJKM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which together with the wok spatula from Ikea works really well for me on my induction hob.

Hope it helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Yeah, I'd go with a flat-bottomed steel one, no non-stick coating. Non-stick and high heat are a very bad combo, and if you have pet birds, it's an extremely lethal one.

Mine is a medium-sized round bottomed one from an asian supermarket. It's very non-stick now just because it's used so much :) If you do get one from an asian store, you'll almost certainly have to clean it very well before you use it since they tend to come with a protective layer of heavy oil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SesaUVFZ-M

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I bought a fairly big , inexpensive work in Ikea earlier in the year, and have absolutely no complaints with it.

However, as others have said. Works from the Asian supermarkets are the real deal, inexpensive and last for ages if cared for properly.

I have been meaning to replace the one I had for years that got misplaced during a house move. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Does anyone know if the carbon steel woks sold by Asian shops are induction compatible? Asked in the shop but they didnt know and I didnt exactly have a magnet on me to find out

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They'll physically heat up (they're magnetic) - but there is no optimal use case for a wok that works on induction. Just use a large frying pan cause you'll just be sauteeing

All the time its lifted off the hob you'll get zero heat.

I wouldn't even use one on a conventional electric. Sauteee pan would be safer as more stable and get identical results. They're for high power gas cooking

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Cheers, good to hear they work on induction. For some reason my le cruset cast iron pan doesnt work on it and I thought it would with it being metal.

Woks/induction not ideal but needs must sometimes. Its probably the only disadvantage of induction over gas but I dont mind it as I dont do frequent wok cooking. Id never go back to gas now having used induction for several months, the controlability of induction is unreal.

Advertisement