Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sleep Paralysis

Options
  • 06-10-2017 9:42pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What causes sleep paralysis?

Comments

How are do you feel before sleep Seph? How does your day go?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

How are do you feel before sleep Seph? How does your day go?

Sometimes anxious, up until recently my days were quite stressful because my brother who is an alcoholic was still living at home and I would worry about that and worry about my mam too as she found it hard too deal with him and ended up in hospital because of the stress he caused her but he's in the half house now at the moment and everything is peaceful again at home.

I first got sleep paralysis in 08 and that's the only time I can remember it really but I know I've had it several times since then it just wasn't as bad as that first time. I woke up and my body was completely and I couldn't move and then I saw what I can only describe as an old hag walking up and down the side of the bed :eek: , it frightened the bejaysus out of me :eek:.

I got it again last week after not getting it for a long time, I woke up and I couldn't move but that's all I remember really.

I'm a firm believer in our dream world reflecting our waking life and any issues buried in our unconscious. Dealing with your brother can't be easy Seph. You're worried about your mam and about him. What about you? Are you looking after yourself? I don't know the exact cause of the sleep paralysis but I'd put money on it being related to your home life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

I woke up and my body was completely and I couldn't move and then I saw what I can only describe as an old hag walking up and down the side of the bed :eek: , it frightened the bejaysus out of me :eek:.
    Were you dreaming that you were dreaming Dude?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Slow motion dream. Could move. But slowly.

Sleep paralysis is not uncommon. "In a sample of 1798 university undergraduates (females, n = 976; males, n = 822) 21% reported one or more episodes of sleep paralysis, and there was no significant sex difference in this regard." Ref: Spanos, NP, McNulty, SA, DuBreuil, SC, Pires, M, and Burgess, MF, in The Frequency and Correlates of Sleep Paralysis in a University Sample, Journal of Research in Personality, Volume 29, Issue 3, September 1995, Pages 285-305.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Fathom wrote: »
    Were you dreaming that you were dreaming Dude?

I don't think so , can't remember being honest :o

I don't think so , can't remember being honest :o
    When between dream and awake, it's sometimes hard to tell.

Got this again last night, could feel myself trying too wake up and not being able too move and panicking a bit,had a fairly intense dream as well before this.

• Advertisement

Got this again last night, could feel myself trying too wake up and not being able too move and panicking a bit,had a fairly intense dream as well before this.
    Intense dream before? Any relationship with sleep paralysis?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

...could feel myself trying too wake up and not being able too move...
    After pulling an all-nighter, I have experienced this too. Wonder if my exhausted body was trying to tell me something?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Lying on your back

branie2 wrote: »
    Lying on your back
    Would sleeping position affect dreams? Uncertain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Icdeadpeepul

I suffered from what I believe was sleep paralysis for years. I would often want to wake up as someone/thing was approaching my bed. I would trying shaking the bed to wake up my wife so she would wake me up. Once it actually happened! This occurred as long as I can remember, maybe 2-4 times a year or more. Not pleasant. As far as dreams, I've always had lots, mostly pleasant and detailed.

Then I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea in my late 50s. I didn't associate the two circumstances, but ever since I started using a CPAP nightly, I haven't experienced the sleep paralysis once in over 8 years! A connection? Dunno.

Interesting Icdeadpeepul. Not certain about cause-and-effect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Fathom wrote: »
    Interesting Icdeadpeepul. Not certain about cause-and-effect.
    There might be empirical studies with this research topic, but I lack time to do a search at the moment.

Jerome A. Dempsey, et al (2010) in Pathophysiology of Sleep Apnea, Physiological Reviews, Vol. 90 no. 1, 47-112, conclude: "Neurocognitive effects include daytime sleepiness and impaired memory and concentration." Sleep paralysis may or may not be associated with sleep apnea.

Advertisement